Windy Corner Almost Finished!

slinkydevil

Is this an April Fool's?

Good news for motorists who rely on the Mountain road, it COULD be open again as early as next week if work stays ahead of schedule at Windy Corner!

Originally the work was expected to be completed by the end of April, but the works team responsible for remodelling the corner has made exceptional progress despite some pretty adverse weather.

After some criticism from road users, Director of Works Clive Callister defended the decision to close the road completely:

It's not ALL good news though - evidently there is still lots of work to be done on the Mountain road - including line painting, ditching work and a temporary road closure for filming, which WAS planned to take place while the road was already closed...

http://www.manxradio.com/readItem.aspx?stI...10&stCT=General

DOT: "We will close the road for 5 weeks"

The Public: "WTF!!!1!! five weeks? @£!!*$ Why do they need that long?"

One week after closure

DOT: "Despite the weather, our chaps have worked so hard that we should be finished sooner than planned (upto 60% sooner)"

The Public: "WOW, what a team, we love them all"

One week after closure

DOT: "Despite the weather, our chaps have worked so hard that we should be finished sooner than planned (upto 60% sooner)"

I'm probably mistaken - but do I detect a tiny note of sarcasm there? :P

One week after closure

I suppose the government can never win with negative people like you around eh?

If they had said 3 weeks and then gone over that time constraint, you would have been complaining saying 'typical govt taking much longer than they said, useless blah blah blah.'

The fact that they estimate 5 weeks or so then finish early you complain as well, making sarcy comments about it being some kind of publicity stunt.

I for one know that I wouldn't want to spend every day digging and resurfacing the mountain road for several weeks - maybe you should join the DOT works team if you think its such an easy life.

More like they have put up there double the workforce that was meant to do it.

I can see this speeding up the trffic at windy corner, i might buy a landrover and sit up there charging people to pull them out of the gravel.

Stu Peters finally get a gold star from me - great interview on Mandate this morning about Windy Corner (even though I think you did check with Hanney that the question was OK before recording!!!)

PS Dont get too pally - try and keep it relevent and you can have the programme back when Beth goes to the BBC

I never understood all that maths stuff at school that said: 'If it takes one workmen 3 days to dig a hole and fill it - and 9 days for two workmen'...etc.

I obviously forgot I was being taught on the island...suddenly it all makes sense!

I'm a bit thick when it comes to road signs and traffic regs and maybe someone can put me right on this:

Approaching the new and improved Windy Corner - in either direction - there are 40 mph limit signs. But after the corner - I didn't spot any signs to indicate that the limit is lifted. Does that mean that from Windy Corner onwards, in either direction, the 40 mph limit remains in force?

Archived