Windy Corner Almost Finished!

slinkydevil

When a speed is indicated on a hazard warning sign it is a recommended speed for that hazard, not a speed limit.

Thanks Grumble and Dave. So I've Googled 'UK road signs' and I haven't found a site which shows the speed signs at Windy corner. Anyone got a good link?

The IOM govt site doesn't seem to show road signs but maybe I just didn't find the right link. It must be there, somewhere, I suppose.

I'm also struggling to try to understand the legal point of a 'recommendation' - in the event of something going wrong. And given that UK and Manx law is based on the letter.

It was 25 years ago when I took my driving test but I don't think I've ever been aware of any speed signs which exist only as recommendations. My logical mind demands absolutes :)

Hey - maybe the new speed limits should be based on recommendations rather than specifics :) Perhaps that would be a compromise.

there are hundreds of such signs on UK roads giving advisory speed limits for bends - presumeably if you cause an accident at said bend and it was proved you were over the limit then possibly you get charged with dangerous driving.

The M25 has numerous advisory speed limits as you approach a compulsory spped limit (this road has variable spped limits from 40 upwards - any monitored congestion tends to force a compulsory 50mph (apparently this maximises throughput).

Re variable speed limits French roads often have two speeds - one for dry and the other for wet conditions - they also have an ingenious radar control of lights in built up areas that virtually force you to keep just below the speed limit or run a red light.

Having had the misfortune of travelling many times on the M25 since it was fully opened, they latterly introduced these reduced speed limits to keep the traffic flowing, particularly in peak periods and at 'hot spots' (Heathrow being one that is infamous) . They do work. Mind you, so does putting in an extra lane!

Having said that, motorway driving is very different from ordinary road driving. The main problem is monotony as having reached your cruising speed, there is very little 'driving' to be done, hence lack of concentration is a real problem.

there are hundreds of such signs on UK roads giving advisory speed limits for bends - presumeably if you cause an accident at said bend and it was proved you were over the limit then possibly you get charged with dangerous driving.

The M25 has numerous advisory speed limits as you approach a compulsory spped limit (this road has variable spped limits from 40 upwards - any monitored congestion tends to force a compulsory 50mph (apparently this maximises throughput).

Re variable speed limits French roads often have two speeds - one for dry and the other for wet conditions - they also have an ingenious radar control of lights in built up areas that virtually force you to keep just below the speed limit or run a red light.

I wasn't aware that UK bends had advisory speed suggestions. So thanks for that. But then I wonder - well why not just impose a proper limit. Do the 'suggestions' have any real basis in law?

I was certainly aware of the variable speed limits on the M25 - but this is always indicated by the overhead electronic signs. These are not advisory however. These are strict limits which are enforced by the use of cameras. No?

I used to live in Putney and drive to Egham everyday. For a year I was also driving my boss to work since he had fallen foul of these exact regulations - he lost his licence for numerous repeat offences of driving 50 - 60 in 30 and 40 temporary zones policed by lines and cameras. On the M25 when the traffic controlling regs were first introduced.

And most of my miles, these days, I drive in France. So I was certainly aware of the 130 / 110 k/h limits on motorways depending upon the wet. It seems fairly obvious that the speed limit under such circumstances depends upon the conditions. Given the rain symbol on the signs. Though there is obviously room for doubt as to the exact nature of the conditions. But we aren't dealing with the French system here and I have no idea how the degree of wetness is judged given an accident at 130 k/h. Or whether the 110 is actually law.

None of which gets us towards an understanding of just what the speed limit at Windy Corner is. Or how the recommendation of 40 mph (if it is only a recommendation) relates to the law.

It seems to me that if the limit at Windy Corner is 40 mph then it should say so. Initially I thought it did. But now there seems to be doubt. If there isn't a limit then why put the sign up?

And if it is a recommendation - then why not also put up a sign at the start and end points of the 'Mountain Road' which recommends people against driving faster than 60/70/80/90/100/200 mph? It just doesn't seem consistent.

And at the point where the national speed limit applies (if there is one) again then it should also say so.

'Recommendations' don't really mean anything IMO.

As I said above. If we are to use recommendations rather than exact limits - then perhaps the new national speed limit should be about recommendations rather than exact rules.

the M25 has the compulsory overhead speed indications but there are also those with 4 flashing lights that are advisory/warning indicators of a speed limit in the next 'block.

I had 2 years of using the M25 whilst the heathrow spur and carriage widening were taking place - at peak periods 30min to move 1 mile was not unknown and if any idiot broke down in the restricted lanes ....!

The M1 J8 to J10 looks set to be the next section to avoid with carriage widening for next 18months and what looks like a new exit (for Luton airport ?)

Archived