Buying A House In The Isle Of Man

Irkin

It would depend on the sums involved surely? Someone who wouldn't pay tax in either the UK or the IOM would be worse off here

Thats right Tugger. I did say tax payers when I first posted.

We have helped our pensioners with the Manx Supplement but anyone who doesnt pay tax is usually much worst off in the Island.

Quik Edit to say we should be ashamed of ourselves that we are letting incomers live a cheap life while our poorest people are finding it hard to exist

Although I haven't done the maths as such, I do not find it any dearer, overall, to live on the IOM, having lived for along time in the UK. My weekly shopping bill for three of us is around Stg80 to Stg100. We eat just as well as we did across (I don't go in for prepared food and, invariably, cook a meal from fresh products, not because I'm a health freak/expert chef/food snob, I just find that prepared meals are crap and the portions paltry). Other than that, fuel bills are high, but they seem to be high elsewhere too.

On the other hand, a family day out here is cheap. Plenty of countryside, parks, beach-type stuff which is free. Whereas if you plan a family day out across it usually means going to some admission- paying attraction and the consequent captive audience on-costs, such as food, which meant that a day out could cost in the region of Stg100 without much effort. Even if you go to the MNH attractions, they are not expensive and joining up gives you free entrance for a year, so you probably recover the annual subscription in a couple of outings.

Something you can't put a price on is the relatively safe environment on the Island and the, generally, gregarious nature of its inhabitants!

Archived