Democracy In Action

teapot

Well - democracy in action - just had a vote in the Keys to amend standing orders to continue to answer questions by aural answer - voting was - 15 votes for suspencion - 4 (I think) against - vote lost as you need 16 for! Well that's democracy for ya - if the PAG want to do something they should get that ridiculous situation amended. When people see that sort of thing happening they just give up, and why wouldn't they!!! :angry: (Delainey, Corkill not in the Chamber)

Well - democracy in action - just had a vote in the Keys to amend standing orders to continue to answer questions by aural answer - voting was - 15 votes for suspencion - 4 (I think) against - vote lost as you need 16 for! Well that's democracy for ya - if the PAG want to do something they should get that ridiculous situation amended. When people see that sort of thing happening they just give up, and why wouldn't they!!! :angry: (Delainey, Corkill not in the Chamber)

Must be a reason for that rule. Cant think what it might be though B)

Was there any protest from the members present?

The standing orders govern procedure for our elected representatives and are there for a reason - i.e they ensure it's not a free for all or open to abuse (e.g if there's a government delegation away or people are missing for other reasons). The electorate and the elected also have an awareness and expectation of how matters are to be dealt with.

The requirement of a two-thirds majority on this type of thing is a good thing. it's much the same as a company having to pass a resolution by more than a simple majority (i.e a special resolution) if it wants to change its articles, call an EGM etc.

From memory, I think election to Leg Co also requires an absolute majority - hence the repeated failures of certain individuals to get the requisite number of votes...

Archived