Voters Lists

manxchatterbox

I don't want "prospective" candidates to have my name and address. They have no honourable reason for having it.

Declan makes a very valid point. Surely there must be a Data Protection issue? I wouldn't want somebody "thinking" about standing to have my details either. Only when they announce they are standing, pay their fee, and actually are in the electoral window should they get anything.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want "prospective" candidates to have my name and address. They have no honourable reason for having it.

Declan makes a very valid point. Surely there must be a Data Protection issue? I wouldn't want somebody "thinking" about standing to have my details either. Only when they announce they are standing, pay their fee, and actually are in the electoral window should they get anything.

As in UK, everyone is a prospective candidate if they fulfil the criteria for eligability.

Once you have got the necessary signatures and signed all the protocols you are an official candidate and would be issued, free, a full register for the district you are standing for.

Don't see a problem at all with that.

If you're that desperate google.

Thats the whole point of having the edited list.

Fact is Peter Karran kicked this one off a week or two ago.

As usual he seemed to be misinformed or wilfully misunderstanding the facts for publicity.

Probably the latter given he has been a MHK for many years and should know the rules of the game by now.

• 3 months later...
Surely there was nothing to stop them knocking before today, they just wouldn't have access to your name from the Electoral Register...

At least now they'll know your name when they leave the "Sorry you were not in when I called / I actually can't be bothered speaking to you" letter you always see them leave before they run back down your path at record speed.

I understand that all publicly declared candidates will now be given the full list.

Hiya, Steve I see from the paper you've thrown your cap into the ring for Onchan. Although it might have been Max from Pheonix Nights!

Surely there was nothing to stop them knocking before today, they just wouldn't have access to your name from the Electoral Register...

True, in our recent by election some did knock (but not everyone), and one who had the previous owner's name decided that it wasn't worth talking to me. Strangely he didn't get my vote!

Check out the Data Protection website to see which MHKs are registered. As far as I understand they are entitled to a copy of the electoral list for the equivalent of 'marketing purposes', just as some companies can currently gain access to use the restricted list. However, if they store this on a computer and add/ammend this data e.g. storing personal infomation about your preferences, issues etc. during campaigns/surgeries, then they would need to register these additional purposes with Data Protection.

I had cause to look at a registration a year or so ago and found that 'Constituency case work and political campaigning' is a purpose which covers 'the seeking and maintenance of support amongst the electorate by the data controller, the carrying out of casework on behalf of individual constituents by elected representatives'. This registration included holding details of 'members or supporters, complainents, correspondents and enquirers, relatives, guardians and associates of the data subject, advisers, consultants and other professional experts'. This also extended to holding 'Personal details, family, lifestyle and social circumstances, education and training details, employment details, financial details, racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, trade union membership, physical or mental health or condition, and even offences (including alleged offences)' - though I am not sure if latter bit covers just 'staff' or extends to constituents or not.

Data protection say on their website "We will supply a copy of a register entry free of charge, however, if you require a certified copy of a register entry a nominal fee of £2 will be charged." IMHO, the new act is much better than the old and the data protection people are extremely knowledgeable and helpful if you ever wish to make a complaint or just seek general advice.

These days, whether you fill in the electoral registration form or not, you can expect to find yourself on the electoral register. When I changed addresses in Douglas a few years ago this happened to me, though whether you think this is 'big brother' going too far is perhaps another discussion. However, you can ask most people you think hold data on you for a copy of that data for a reasonable fee, and very easily take them to court if you think they are holding data about you against your wishes. In our interests (as they are independent), the data protection people jump quickly and hard on anyone they think might be breaking the law and support you 100%.

I really can't see the need to expose our names and addreses to any Tom, Dick or Harry that wants to stand for election.

If I wanted my name and contact details published or accessible to anyone outside of government, I'd be in the 'phone book!

My old chestnut of an all island election manifesto, covering all candidates in all areas, dropping on all our doormats courtesy of the island's excellent postal services still seems to offer the best, most professional and least expensive (for all concerned) option to me.

After all, you don't need your details exposed to the potential MHKs and their helpers (whoever they may be heaven help us) in order to slip a 'sorry you weren't in" note under the door as we watch from the window.

I understand that all publicly declared candidates will now be given the full list.

Hiya, Steve I see from the paper you've thrown your cap into the ring for Onchan. Although it might have been Max from Pheonix Nights!

Hi Declan, yes, I figured I'd had enough of bad government and decided to try and do something about it directly before my future and that of my kids is put in any more jeopardy.

Nice to see your taking an effort to communicate your thoughts .... funny coinsidence that!

No coincidence at all. I didn't see any harm in passing on the details I'd been given as a candidate. I'm not proposing to do any electioneering on here, if people want my opinion they can always ask me directly, and I'm not averse to people quoting me in public. No doubt at all there are plenty of MHKs, candidates and prospective candidates who will either read and post here directly, or get friends to do it for them. Maybe if they were all available more often, we might get more direct answers? Either way, make the most of this opportunity and grill as many as you can, it only generally comes around once every five years.

I've been reading this forum on and off for quite a while now, but decided to register in my real name to avoid anyone suggesting I make comments this summer but hide behind a nickname.

I'm sure Declan can confirm that I've never been one to not communicate my thoughts, publicly or privately!

And in case anyone wonders, yes I will be using the voters list if it is provided, simply because I think it is more polite to make the effort to check someone's name before you speak to them, and as has been pointed out, much of that information is already commercially available to people you'll never meet.

LOL....i'll go and put my soapbox away now

Steve

Archived