Voters Lists

manxchatterbox

If anyone wants to know what my beliefs are though, and this is a shameless plug I admit, I've posted them all at my website, including my election diary. http://www.babbfamily.co.uk/election2006.htm

Firstly, I applaud your decision to stand for election and your stated principles for doing do. Also, publicly outing yourself (so to speak) on here.

You may not want to get into debate on here, but:

So what does that mean for immigration? I want to see a proven system put in place where those people with the skills and experience the Island needs can move here and share the benefits we all enjoy. By replacing the current work permit system those people who qualify for residency can immediately add to the local economy, not simply drain from it. A realistic and flexible visa system would allow the use of skilled workers for short periods of time, instead of practices that encourage people to “bend the rules”, in a way that would fairly benefit small and large businesses alike

So, are you suggesting residency control?

My understanding is that people with the skills and experience needed can already move here and gain employment. However, the employer must demonstrate that there were no suitable IoM candidates and gain a permit for the position. What would you change about that process?

What about people from outside the EU?

Does any relaxation of the Work Permit rules go against what you are saying in your next point? (Quoted below)

Businesses should be encouraged to sponsor students, to commit to guaranteeing jobs for Manx graduates are available after they study and to offer apprenticeships to those still on the Island . I often hear that employers are looking for workers with experience, hence they look to employ off island candidates. This can have two flaws though, firstly without the opportunities for work how can local workers gain any experience without leaving the Island , and secondly without making the commitment to invest in training the problem will never go away, after all, experience is important, but the right experience is essential

From starting at Onchan School , through studying at St Ninian’s High School and then studying Business at university in the UK with the help of a grant from the Manx Government, I can appreciate the high quality of education and support on the Island . However, it strikes me that much of that money is wasted if there is not also a system supporting graduates find work on the Island to use those newly acquired skills for the benefit of us all. We need to realise the value of the non-traditional subjects in schools and improve investment for training schemes and apprenticeships in industries such as farming and engineering.

Again, nice idea, but how do you encourage graduates to return?

Some would suggest that working abroad for a while to return later, would bring even more experience. Comments?

Do you suggest that the DoE should provide less support to purely 'aspirational' qualifications, compared to those that would be of demonstrable benefit to the Island?

Is there not already significant funding available for vocational training in a wide range of areas, including agriculture and engineering?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where 8/10

What 3/10

Why 3/10

When 1/10

Who 1/10

How 0/10

Sorry Steve - I find your website content very 'amatuerish' and lacking in real content. There are also some worrying statements there that could be interpreted as e.g. an open door on immigration for employers. The website says so much and yet so little, with tons of stuff people are not really interested in.

Albert

Thanks for your honest opinion and review, I look forward to seeing you review the contents regularly over time as it fills up. As I am sure you read, I intend to add to the website on a regular basis, filling out a lot of the details during the coming months. I would also ask that you act fairly and perform the same review of my opponents and how they are attempting to communicate issues to people.

To answer you criticism of it being very amatuerish, what precisely do you expect? I am an amateur! I am using those skills I have to try to open communications as much as possible. If you have any specific ideas for improving it though, I would welcome them. I certainly look forward to hearing the details of what you are expecting and will respond directly.

When you say tons of stuff people are not interested in, I do wonder which parts you refer to. If you mean the family part of the website, I would politely suggest you are wrong, the people that is aimed at seem to be very interested in it. I have tried and will continue to try to put details of my opinions, views and policies on there as the summer develops. I have not yet posted my manifesto, but rest assured the contents will be matched on the website, plus more detail.

At this stage I would like to say two things:

The first is that I am taking my pregnant wife away for a well deserved break to celebrate her birthday and our wedding anniversary. That means I woun't be able to reply to posts until next week.

The second is that whilst I am happy to answer the various questions raised, they are somewhat off topic. Perhaps we could start a new thread for these, and in the interests of fairness put similar questions to any and all candidates. That said, I will post replies to the above when I get back and the mods can move them later if they think it's appropriate or move them before I get back and I will post in there.

It's fair to say that as the questions get more and more complex, so will the answers. Perhaps the best solution would simply be to tell me a time and place convenient and I will meet people to answer directly, or to email me. You're still welcome to post my answers here for everyone to see, but it avoids the misinterpretations and misunderstandings that can arise from forums, and avoids any accusations of me using this forum as an election platform, which I have said I don't want to do and don't think is fair to all the candidates.

I am sure, however, that despite your intentions you will find a friendly internet cafe somewhere.

Enjoy your break!

whilst I am happy to answer the various questions raised, they are somewhat off topic. Perhaps we could start a new thread for these, and in the interests of fairness put similar questions to any and all candidates. That said, I will post replies to the above when I get back and the mods can move them later if they think it's appropriate or move them before I get back and I will post in there.

We've already had 'Standing members' threads, why not 'Standing Candidates'?

This may be a good time for Uni, Tearz and the mods to consider a 'Local Politics' section?

.........and avoids any accusations of me using this forum as an election platform, which I have said I don't want to do and don't think is fair to all the candidates.

Other candidates are as welcome on this forum as you Steve. That accusation could only be levelled at you if time and space were controlled in some fashion.

This place is available for the expression of views to everyone. If they choose not to use it, then so be it.

• 2 weeks later...
Thought I recognised the name as we were in the same years at Ballakermeen together, although I dont remember you with grey hair ;)

So, when you knock on my door in Onchan what questions do you NOT want me to ask?

The grey hair is inherited, although my wife quite likes it, so there's a plus side.

As for what question I wouldn't want you to ask me, quite simply - who was in my class at Ballakermeen. ;)

Do your policies go against anything which is in the Government Plan as per the IOM Govt Website?

Are you proposing anything which contradicts the Government Plan?

Do you support everything in the Government Plan - or is there anything which you are proposing which represents a different approach to what is contained in the Government Plan?

The Government Plan seems to propose policy up to, at least, 2008. If you oppose anything in the plan then how do you propose to challenge it? If you oppose any part of the Government Plan up to 2008 then which bits do you intend to challenge? And how?

Sorry, but to answer all your questions in the detail they'd require would simply take far too long on here. The Government plan is an overly large and cumbersome publication. And that is my biggest criticism of it. Whilst it purports to be a future strategy for Government and lists several key performance indicators by which departments will be measured, it is simply too large to be easily accessible by the average person.

Several things I am proposing could be argued to contradict the Government plan, such as my ideas on immigration control, Government supported housing schemes for first time buyers, making Ministers account for their activities and lack thereof, the Governemtn investing in the environment ratehr than trying to make statutory bodies profit making organisations and the division of the DTL to provide the creation of a sports Minister.

I don't propose that the Plan be torn apart however, there are some very valid and valuable proposals in there, such as the publishing of core values and the data against which targets have been set, however I do wonder to what depth within the Civil Service the Government Plan is "bought into". Lengthy "corporate strategies" tend to switch off "employees" and do little to motivate them to consciously work towards targets. The overall delivery and framework of the Government Plan needs to be looked at very closely, and I think woudl beenfit from consultation with external orgainsations such as the Chamber of Commerce, Friends of the Earth, Disabled groups and local commissioners.

Steve, I think the most refreshing thing about your manifesto is that you're not going on about purely Onchan issues that I think are best left to the Commissioners. This is where many candidates fall down, IMO. I am sick of hearing about candidates telling me about the 'traffic problem' and things like that.

If you were standing in my constituency I would be giving you serious thought!

Thanks Sarah, that means a lot. I agree with previous comments regards an Island wide manifesto, I think people should pay close attention to what all candidates are saying, as their actions will affect us all. In my opinion local commissioners are best placed to represent local issues, and where appropriate to petition national Government for action.

There needs to be regular and effective communication between constituent candidates and the local commissioners to ensure that the right people are concentrating on the right issues.

That said, I don't think the current location is the best place for the zebra crossing in Onchan and as a parent I think they do need to look very closely at the crossing points in the pvements at the top of Royal Avenue, togetehr with the DOT.

Firstly, I applaud your decision to stand for election and your stated principles for doing do. Also, publicly outing yourself (so to speak) on here.

Thanks.

You may not want to get into debate on here, but:

So what does that mean for immigration? I want to see a proven system put in place where those people with the skills and experience the Island needs can move here and share the benefits we all enjoy. By replacing the current work permit system those people who qualify for residency can immediately add to the local economy, not simply drain from it. A realistic and flexible visa system would allow the use of skilled workers for short periods of time, instead of practices that encourage people to “bend the rules”, in a way that would fairly benefit small and large businesses alike

So, are you suggesting residency control?

Yes. I am suggesting that we look closely at why we have the work permit scheme and what risks we are opening ourselves to by not making more careful regulation of our borders. I am suggesting the we look at successful systems elsewhere in the world, such as Canada and Australia, and think about the Island's long term needs. I don't believe that we should necessarily continue to promote a system which can prevent someone living on the Island to use public services without being able to directly pay for those through income tax. Nor do i think we should continue with a system that places the burden onto employers without thinking carefully if it would not be more fair for everyone to make those controls at the point of entry.

My understanding is that people with the skills and experience needed can already move here and gain employment. However, the employer must demonstrate that there were no suitable IoM candidates and gain a permit for the position. What would you change about that process?

I don't disagree with the principals of the system, simply that I believe it would be more effective to tie it in with a consistent immigration policy that gives greater monitoring/control on who enters the Island. I am not proposing big brother, travel visas are common in the world, but I can see the beenfit in knowing who comes here, when and for how long. As well as for what declared purpose.

In the present work permit system, the burden is on the employers to ensure they comply with the regulations, which are relatively more difficult for small businesses to achieve than large institutions. It is already difficult for many small firms here to find staff, without having to the added time and expense of waiting for work permits applications to be processed. Surely such a system only encourages those firms already inder pressure, to bend the rules or take a chance?

To my mind, if you have the skills that the Island needs, then you will qualify for residency, no question. However, it is not beyond the realms of possibility for individual employers here to give a statement that suggested a particular skill or length of experience was essential for role, where such skills were not perhaps essential simply desirable, and this prevents IoM residents being employed in that role. Why not make it a level playing field and say anyone with a visa can apply for any job on the island, and require anyone looking to move here to apply for the permit up front.

With commonplace technology today, it would be easy to put the application system online, which anyone can fill out, it woudl give an indication of whether you have scored sufficient points towards obtaining a visa and then allow you to submit the application directly if you pass. The Government can then weight certain skills as applied to the whole of the Island, rather than the bureaucratic process of considering each application, including those where someone changes jobs within the alloted time.

What about people from outside the EU?

As above.

Does any relaxation of the Work Permit rules go against what you are saying in your next point? (Quoted below)

I am not proposing to relax work permit rules, simply to incorporate them with another system of control and simplify them. What I say below is that we need to encourage local workers to gain experience and trainign here on the Island. Rather than look to import senior staff from overseas, to increase training opportunities for local staff.

Businesses should be encouraged to sponsor students, to commit to guaranteeing jobs for Manx graduates are available after they study and to offer apprenticeships to those still on the Island . I often hear that employers are looking for workers with experience, hence they look to employ off island candidates. This can have two flaws though, firstly without the opportunities for work how can local workers gain any experience without leaving the Island , and secondly without making the commitment to invest in training the problem will never go away, after all, experience is important, but the right experience is essential

From starting at Onchan School , through studying at St Ninian’s High School and then studying Business at university in the UK with the help of a grant from the Manx Government, I can appreciate the high quality of education and support on the Island . However, it strikes me that much of that money is wasted if there is not also a system supporting graduates find work on the Island to use those newly acquired skills for the benefit of us all. We need to realise the value of the non-traditional subjects in schools and improve investment for training schemes and apprenticeships in industries such as farming and engineering.

Again, nice idea, but how do you encourage graduates to return?

Give them a reason to come back. Make it easier for them to find their own accommodation, at affordable prices (such as housing schemes and Government owned small dwellings (such as single bedroom units), encourage sponsorship from local businesses and maintain those links throughout their education.

Some would suggest that working abroad for a while to return later, would bring even more experience. Comments?

It does, I certainly benefitted from my time working in the UK. But I came back to the Island after graduation. i was fortunate to be able to find work here in the field that I wanted, but I know many graduates aren't so fortunate. I think gap years, for example, are a great idea, and can provide some really valuable "down time" after years of study and help put your life priorities in perspective. What's to stop graduates signing up for locally run volunteer organisations for that year, or agreeing with employers that they will take the time after graduation. It's not uncommon in many parts fo thw world for employees to take sabbaticals. A number of employers recognise the value of these and encourage their staff accordingly.

I'm not propsosing a single solution to fit all, but I do think there are areas where national Government can introduce schemes that provide some benefit. If a scheme only costs the Government lost tax revenue on a Grant, but encourages a local student to bring their training and enthusiasm back to the Island, then to my mind that's a worthwhile investment.

Do you suggest that the DoE should provide less support to purely 'aspirational' qualifications, compared to those that would be of demonstrable benefit to the Island?

Not at all, i think all students should be given equal support. But if there are means to make the limited funds available for supporting all students, to spread further, then I would be in favour of it. An increasing number of employers are realising that a much broader range of qualifications are relevant in employees, and that as more less traditional routes through education are made available (i.e. away from the standard GCSE, A Level, Degree route) then they have to acknowledge the value of other qualifications. Particualrly when most graduate employees undergo a lengthy process of vocational training once they start work.

Is there not already significant funding available for vocational training in a wide range of areas, including agriculture and engineering?

I don't believe there is sufficient, and I don't believe that there is sufficient links between Government, Education adn Employers in these areas. If you look at the Isle of Man COllege, where much of this training takes place, it is rapidly reaching saturation point in terms of the number of students is can accommodate. But if the investment was available to create smaller sites spread around the Island, then greater specialism could be introduced to a wider curriculum and without adding to the already congested traffic system in Douglas.

.........and avoids any accusations of me using this forum as an election platform, which I have said I don't want to do and don't think is fair to all the candidates.

Other candidates are as welcome on this forum as you Steve. That accusation could only be levelled at you if time and space were controlled in some fashion.

This place is available for the expression of views to everyone. If they choose not to use it, then so be it.

I believe a number of the Press sites will be running sections for all candidates to participate in, so I look forward to reading some of my opponents and other candidates actually publishing their views on issues, and going further than simply saying what the problems are to actually suggesting some solutions.

I don't intend to focus on this forum however, and will be posting increasingly through my own website and and some of those press sites. I will be posting emailed questions I receive onto my website and my answers/views and opinions.

Archived