Mountain Rd Re-opened

Deejay Denzel

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been up that way a few times recently and every bastard time I've got stuck behind a convoy of vans, tractors or a load of drivers tailgating the slow driver at the front making it impossible to pass them one at a time. No lie, it took me 50 minutes once. Whereas you can do it in 20 in the early hours with no traffic on the road.

Something I did notice that isn't worthy of it's own thread, is that Princes Motors appears to be closed down? When did that happen?

Just a side note for people who may need to travel through the Ballaugh way, there is now a 40mph limit leading into Ballaugh from the Kirk Michael side, way before the old folks' crossing thing - nearly caught me out the other night on the way home.

I've been up that way a few times recently and every bastard time I've got stuck behind a convoy of vans, tractors or a load of drivers tailgating the slow driver at the front making it impossible to pass them one at a time. No lie, it took me 50 minutes once. Whereas you can do it in 20 in the early hours with no traffic on the road.

Something I did notice that isn't worthy of it's own thread, is that Princes Motors appears to be closed down? When did that happen?

And guess who bought it <_< and is building an old folks home there.

Congrats to the DOT I say. You can now get round there at least 20 mph quicker than you could before and with the extra speed carried through to the 33rd knock a good few seconds off a trip over the top.

I suppose the downside is that to get it wrong there now you will be have to be going that bit faster and will be more likely to die.

PS - I'll have Friday in the sweep, and will be interested to see if serious accidents on the mile of road either side increase or decrease in the next 12 months.

5 things I noticed about the coast road

1. Speed warning signs :(:)

2. More speed traps in 4 weeks than I have seen in the last 4 years

3. Flood warning signs covering the only stretch of the road that wasn't flooded

4. That fucking red Nissan Micra parked on the road in Laxey that didn't move once

5. Getting used to the bumpy road surface and not realising how bad it was until returning to the smoothness of the mountain road

Lets make it 6. I'm feeling generous

6. Forty miles per fucking hour. All the time :angry:

Any chance of some pictures of the new Windy Corner being posted please :)

Imagine the old Windy Corner, but with some new tarmac having been laid down, about fifty signs on the approach saying DANGER DEADLY CORNER 40MPH ANY MORE AND YOU'LL DIE, and finding out that the only actual change is to make the corner ever so slightly shallower so you can go round it a bit faster than you could before they put up any of the BRAKE MOTHERFUCKER 40MPH MAXIMUM YOU'RE GONNA DIE BITCH signs.

(One wonders if they couldn't have saved the £200K and just put the new signs up, since the net effect is going to be about the same, i.e. fuck all.)

Overall, it wasn't quite the radical change I was hoping for.

On the plus side it was nice to traverse the mountain mile at a decent lick of speed again, after having been stuck behind fucking tractors on the coast road since the birth of Jesus.

I was expecting much more of the corner, a camber for instance. If that thing is cambered I'm my aunt betsie!

The view was good coming up to it before, now you can see fuck all coming from Douglas cos of all the bleeding signs.

I was overtaken about 100 yds before the corner by a Land Rover. Idiot would have been on two wheels on the old corner, he got round allright this time, next time maybe not, a bit of wet stuff or fog and a different story.

My choice for the first crash is before tonight is over.

Maybe spend some money on red side markers would be a good idea as anyone that has gone north in the fog can see.

Archived