Mountain Rd Re-opened

Deejay Denzel

I sped round there last night in the mean speed machine -

More posts to crash into.

Nice new slippy tarmac. :P (Mine are the big black marks left on the exit!)

And - was it me (it was dark) ... but have they taken the gravel trap out and replaced it with a flower bed?

Ill be interested to see what the TT bikers think of that little cock-up. Hit it side on and it looks like it will spit you over the wall into the gun club.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... but have they taken the gravel trap out and replaced it with a flower bed?

Ill be interested to see what the TT bikers think of that little cock-up. Hit it side on and it looks like it will spit you over the wall into the gun club.

I'm fairly sure that gravel trap has saved a few bikers in the past. Not been up there since it reopened yet - but if it's like you say - that sounds like a backwards step in safety...

...any bikers tried it yet?

I've just travelled in both directions over the mountain. The bend is different and the camber is plain to see, if people cant's see that they really should get their eyes tested.

As for the idiot in the gold astra, that's all you are "an idiot" and when the speed limit comes in you'll be the first one moaning. That is of course if you haven't stove it into a hedge or wall beforehand, or even worse someone else.

5 things I noticed about the coast road

1. Speed warning signs :(:)

2. More speed traps in 4 weeks than I have seen in the last 4 years

3. Flood warning signs covering the only stretch of the road that wasn't flooded

4. That fucking red Nissan Micra parked on the road in Laxey that didn't move once

5. Getting used to the bumpy road surface and not realising how bad it was until returning to the smoothness of the mountain road

Lets make it 6. I'm feeling generous

6. Forty miles per fucking hour. All the time :angry:

7. The signs in Maughold advertising "Acre's for sale"

I thought it was alright. To state my initial description of it after driving back from work on Wednesday, "It kind of slopes down from the outside towards the inside of the corner, there's lots of white lines in the middle of the road making it wider and you can do it faster, very comfortably."

They appear to have moved a lot of the fencing Ramsey side of windy corner waaay back down the hill too, not sure what the purpose of that is, other than to confuse me.

And the Hideaway always say it'll take longer than it does to do a job so we'll all love them when they finish "early" and won't think that they've spent all the time watching videos of Miss Wet T-shirt from Nightlife.

"And it's slightly less of a bend too." But I don't want to get too technical for you lot with my road-speak.

Glad Wilddog can see the changes too, it feels like a completely different corner to me. But it's good.

Finally got around to take some pics of the new masterpiece:

post-1086-1144485912_thumb.jpgpost-1086-1144485903_thumb.jpg

The gravel trap is now a mud trap, and they've installed solar powered cat eyes:

post-1086-1144485949_thumb.jpgpost-1086-1144486435_thumb.jpg

And here are a few before/after ones:

post-1086-1144486149_thumb.jpg

post-1086-1144486163_thumb.jpg

post-1086-1144486172_thumb.jpg

post-1086-1144486183_thumb.jpg

TBH - I somehow expected the result to be more drastic, but it doesn't look bad - by the feel of it, the corner has gotten faster, though...

The gravel trap is now a mud trap, and they've installed solar powered cat eyes:

So, am I to understand that there isn't actually a gravel trap there anymore? How do the TT racers feel about that, let alone the road riders?

Even if the public have no say in things like this, is the research/analysis/design available on public record?

The sweepstake was for the mountain I think Mo. The never ending bend is on the coast road.

Eye, but there are 2 never ending bends, one just after Snaefell, long left hander, i think its a pre-requisite of going to Ramsey that you need to do a big bender on the way up.

Crash#2, this morning on the way to Ramsey, i saw a motor over the bank, stuffed into the hedge just before the gooseneck. Does anyone have the statistics on accidents on the mountain? Cos 2 in less than 3 days is pretty good going, we could be onto some sort of record here!

Archived