Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Surely the Isle of Man should push for the same level of BBC expenditure as the do for both Jersey and Guernsey.

If that means handing over Manx Radio so be it.

The government are looking to save £25 million, is this not a start?

They would save £1M a year! That adds up to more money for the NHS etc.

The station would lose all those terrible ads and gets BBC standards of staff to run the operation.

Only people who won't want that is the current management. Is Pugh really on over £100,000 a year?

As answered in Tynwakd a few years ago, the staff costs of running the operation are £1 million a year!

Crazy numbers.

• Like 1

This online directory is clearly a silly idea, but I'd agree to them running with any time and money-wasting idea they like if they could just stop the woman who occasionally does reports on Mandate using music to introduce every single item she does. There was one yesterday about tourism, because someone had been over to give a talk about Facebook or something, and it started with a blare of bagpipes - or similar - for no reason at all. Manx Radio, please explain to her that we don't need to have a bed of music on every news item she does (and get her to do some research, prepare questions and listen to answers, you know, the basics) and we all forgive all the online directory, MR+, TT365 failures.

[The BBC] don't fully fund it otherwise we wouldn't have ads. They pay towards the facilities they use there and there was the one-off payment they made to government a few years ago that went to MR, but they do not fund MR in its entirety. They could and I believe they would.

I think that's unduly optimistic. It's unlikely the BBC would take over the running of Manx Radio and they certainly won't pay for something they can't control - why should they?. It's true that they fund radio and TV in the Channel Islands, but that dates back to a time when the BBC was both better-funded and more self-confident. It was also much less London-centric (though, ironically, it is still less so than most of its media critics).

I suspect the BBC already spend more per head on the Island than elsewhere in the UK - they may not spend much[1], but we have such a small population that even low spending mounts up. The CI got special treatment, which we didn't need as we already had Manx Radio when they set the local radio network up, but there's no reason why we should get the same now.

[1] From memory they pay Manx Radio a rental for the use of their facilities for the BBC journalists who are based on the Island, though I'm not sure how much as the MR accounts are typically obscure.

its in hansard somewhere that the bbc pays out more than they receive in licence fee, also they turned down a bbc radio station and get a yearly amount to fund mr

Don't think it is.

bbc pay iomg direct, its then paid to mr

Surely the Isle of Man should push for the same level of BBC expenditure as the do for both Jersey and Guernsey.

If that means handing over Manx Radio so be it.

The government are looking to save £25 million, is this not a start?

They would save £1M a year! That adds up to more money for the NHS etc.

The station would lose all those terrible ads and gets BBC standards of staff to run the operation.

Only people who won't want that is the current management. Is Pugh really on over £100,000 a year?

As answered in Tynwakd a few years ago, the staff costs of running the operation are £1 million a year!

Crazy numbers.

£5 out of the licence fee funds local radio, doubt mr could run on less than 100k a year...

Doesn't say it all when Manx Radio are paying to advertise this new directory on Face Book! (See the sponsored bit under the heading).
Just like everyone else you can target the whole Island for just £5.

I think most forms of traditional advertising are really going to be replaced by the big boys of the internet. Sadly what won't include that MR directory...powered by radio...whatever that really means.

How much money will this cost us? Remember Manx Radio Plus? Where you couldn't enter a competition unless you were a member! What a crazy idea that all turned out to be.

This online directory is clearly a silly idea, but I'd agree to them running with any time and money-wasting idea they like if they could just stop the woman who occasionally does reports on Mandate using music to introduce every single item she does. There was one yesterday about tourism, because someone had been over to give a talk about Facebook or something, and it started with a blare of bagpipes - or similar - for no reason at all. Manx Radio, please explain to her that we don't need to have a bed of music on every news item she does (and get her to do some research, prepare questions and listen to answers, you know, the basics) and we all forgive all the online directory, MR+, TT365 failures.

Must be a quiet week newswise. It's back to bash the 'Nations Station'. AND.....look who's back, the ex employee/failed job applicant, our good friend, with an always balanced and well measured argument....lets hear it for.....you know who you are!

Must be a quiet week newswise. It's back to bash the 'Nations Station'. AND.....look who's back, the ex employee/failed job applicant, our good friend, with an always balanced and well measured argument....lets hear it for.....you know who you are!

Yes sweetie, that's right...

She did it again this morning - why did a perfectly straightforward piece about a lung disease organisation need ot have intrusive harp music played all over it? Why?

Yes sweetie, that's right...

She did it again this morning - why did a perfectly straightforward piece about a lung disease organisation need ot have intrusive harp music played all over it? Why?

Maybe because it was an on location interview. The group of which the interviewee was a part of, meet up and have the likes of a speaker and in this case - a harpist - to entertain.

Did you hear people chatting and laughing, and the clink of cups of tea in the background?

Mext you'll be complaining about the sound of motorbikes in the background when John McGuiness is interviewed up at the grandstand.

I could put the clip up, but that would be an anorak too far. If anyone is interested or feels they should listen again (.......I'm looking at you censorship) then go to the programme.

Interview starts at 46:00 minutes:

http://www.manxradio.com/radioplayer/od/7195/

Edited by gettafa

No, we're talking about someone shooting their bolt without checking what they are on about. In the journalistic world I think it is called sloppiness

No, the harp music was added.

Just like the ridiculous pipe music was added to yesterday's piece on the tourism presentation.

It seems to happen on every piece she does. Maybe it is the latest thing, maybe some people like it. I don't, and am just expressing that opinion. There's really no need to get quite so animated about it. If we were at school anyone would think you fancied her...

• Like 1

Why is it a silly idea?

Why is it a silly idea?

Well, again it is only my opinion, but given we have google, manx.net, isleofman.com, miquando, the phone book, Facebook, friends and family, etc etc etc it seems like investing public money in an already over crowded market place. Again.

But having never worked in radio, advertising, digital marketing or anything similar I wouldn't claim to be an expert.