Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

James - part of the difficulty M.R. always faces is that whilst it has (so far) had the security of an annual government subvention, it is also increasingly expected to operate in the commercial world, to the point where I think the commercial income now needs to exceed the subvention. So it makes sense to me (and as ever I'm only posting in a personal capacity) to be a member of the CoC, which I think is more a traders association than a political lobby group. As far as I know 3FM and IOM Newspapers have been members for some time - not sure about Energy as Juan isn't keen on industry groups.

As to the independence of the media, I really, truly don't believe that any pressure is brought to bear on the local media to NOT report something (although I don't know about the former CM business, as it all seemed to go quiet prior to him standing down). But in all my 15 years at M.R. I've never been aware of a story being spiked or angled in anyone's favour. Even local hacks have a fierce sense of pride and honour - probably more than national journos - and would rail against any suggestions that they went easy on someone. The nearest I ever got was when a grumpy politician asked me not to let callers call him grumpy on air as it upset his wife. Nobody did so I wasn't compromised...

People think the media give too much exposure to IOMG press releases or news conferences or CoC comments - that's because they're there. They are the grist to the news mill. The same people complain if we give time to people like Bernard Moffatt or the unions. Thing is, the media doesn't make the news, we just report what other people are doing and saying and try to get an opposing point of view (difficult in a country that doesn't have an official opposition party). So if the National Association of One Armed Jugglers announced it was meeting in Douglas, chances are it would make the news, feature on Talking Heads and get Buster phoning in about jugglers he's known.

Roger - I think it's finally come to the point with the tech that it is able to provide something useful without requiring lots of new kit or any extra staff. I think it will really come into its own at election time so that people can actually see candidates sweat, or where Beth has lots of studio guests. Not much point on my show or Kinley's, but I'm on a diet just in case.

On a more sombre note, I've just seen on Facebook that long-time former presenter Suzy Richardson has died. She was a truly lovely woman and a great help to me when I started at the station as a freelancer in 2000. She was the person I trusted most to give me pronunciation advice on Manx place names (unlike some of the others back then). She'll be missed.

Edited by Stu Peters
First draft sucked
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

I was recruited to take part in a Mori poll about my daily radio listening habits last week - surprised myself that I actuually listen to MR more than RTE1 even though I only switch over to MR for Talking Heads,  the news at 5pm, Countryside and the Manx Gaelic programmes  The rest is shite!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gladys said:

Sue Richardson has died? Truly floored. She was a lovely lady with a great sense of humour ( she once regaled me about the wonder of childbirth,  it would seem that if  you concentrate hard enough you can deliver through your ear.)

She wasn't all that old I think - I'm sure I was at school with her brother who was one year older than myself?

(Was a long time ago on an island far, far away in a very forbidding institution.)

12 hours ago, Snaipyr said:

I was recruited to take part in a Mori poll about my daily radio listening habits last week - surprised myself that I actuually listen to MR more than RTE1 even though I only switch over to MR for Talking Heads,  the news at 5pm, Countryside and the Manx Gaelic programmes  The rest is shite!

What do you listen to from 1am to 3am Snaipyr?

19 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I met Susie Richardson a couple of times over the years. Lovely person. My tribute on the juke box tonight was the Carpenters and Barry Manilow. Those were her days. One of the best radio people ever. Even though I don't like those songs...I know she did!

That’s quite a nice idea even though you admit you don’t like the music personally. I might do the same. It will certainly be different to the playlist I did the other night in remembrance of Malcolm Young though! 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
Link
  • Like 1