Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

5 hours ago, gettafa said:

It's time for a fresh Radio TT. Manx Radio and their employees are seem to be getting too comfortable with it. There is no place for a sense of entitlement in such a fast changing world.

How many employees are there at MR ?, from what i can see, each presenter does about 3 hours each per day, ( appart from stu peters who does just 2 hours ), that works out at about 4 per day, ( there seems to be 3 of them on woman today), and there must at least 4 different news readers, not to mention managers, under managers, engineers, and program editors, that cant be cheap.

But i would expect MR to make a profit just from the advertising revenue alone from the TT fortnight, if not, i am sure another radio station with a business plan, could make the numbers add up, and make a profit.

5 hours ago, gettafa said:

It's time for a fresh Radio TT. Manx Radio and their employees are seem to be getting too comfortable with it. There is no place for a sense of entitlement in such a fast changing world.

I hear "Chris Evans" is currently available, could he do the commentary, and bring in some big bucks ?

11 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Stu isn't an employee - he's freelance. Some of the others are too. 

There is still quite a lot of people up there though. 

Derek, just purley as a matter of interest, why is there such a massive campaign on drink driving on the lead up to christmas, ( a glass of wine too many ) ,but yet as the brewery makes a lot more money from bikers sitting in pubs around the TT course in "TT week", drinking more allcohol than the brewery can brew, out on thier bikes ( possibly over the limit ) is it kept quiet, do the police have a "certain protocol" to follow ?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

How many employees are there at MR ?, from what i can see, each presenter does about 3 hours each per day, ( appart from stu peters who does just 2 hours ), that works out at about 4 per day, ( there seems to be 3 of them on woman today), and there must at least 4 different news readers, not to mention managers, under managers, engineers, and program editors, that cant be cheap.

But i would expect MR to make a profit just from the advertising revenue alone from the TT fortnight, if not, i am sure another radio station with a business plan, could make the numbers add up, and make a profit.

They make a huge profit, but don't let it show on the books as a profit, just spread the cash around their staff etc.

Less work more pay = win-win. The Isle of Man Government (ie us) are suckered into it every time.

Stu Peters did morning mandate on his todd. There's an army of them up there these days. Different army each week it seems. Half of them don't show up on the 'Our People' pages of the Manx Radio website, that really would be embarrassing. A few years back when many of them got laid off and taken back on a contract they looked  at the rates they were being offered and just about bit the offering hand off.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gettafa said:

They make a huge profit, but don't let it show on the books as a profit, just spread the cash around their staff etc.

Less work more pay = win-win. The Isle of Man Government (ie us) are suckered into it every time.

Stu Peters did morning mandate on his todd. There's an army of them up there these days. Different army each week it seems. Half of them don't show up on the 'Our People' pages of the Manx Radio website, that really would be embarrassing. A few years back when many of them got laid off and taken back on a contract they looked  at the rates they were being offered and just about bit the offering hand off.

Maybe they should all do a " why employ me" presentation ?

1 hour ago, LightBulb said:

Derek, just purley as a matter of interest, why is there such a massive campaign on drink driving on the lead up to christmas, ( a glass of wine too many ) ,but yet as the brewery makes a lot more money from bikers sitting in pubs around the TT course in "TT week", drinking more allcohol than the brewery can brew, out on thier bikes ( possibly over the limit ) is it kept quiet, do the police have a "certain protocol" to follow ?

Towards the end of my time it was a habit we were trying to break - and it should finally do when they eventually publish this National Road Safety Strategy. Campaigns that stand alone without an overarching strategic purpose are about as much use as a pocket on a sock TBH. 

That said, the Christmas drink drive gig had morphed into a Festive safety message led by public health, which I thought worked a lot better. They had proper measurable metrics and did a spot on job of managing it. 

Edited to add - drink drivers and riders do get the attention they require during TT. I’m not sure how many are out on the road, completely leathered. (See what I did there) and don’t recall many coming back significantly pissed on post Mortem toxicology in recent years.

Edited by Derek Flint

9 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Towards the end of my time it was a habit we were trying to break - and it should finally do when they eventually publish this National Road Safety Strategy. Campaigns that stand alone without an overarching strategic purpose are about as much use as a pocket on a sock TBH. 

That said, the Christmas drink drive gig had morphed into a Festive safety message led by public health, which I thought worked a lot better. They had proper measurable metrics and did a spot on job of managing it. 

Edited to add - drink drivers and riders do get the attention they require during TT. I’m not sure how many are out on the road, completely leathered. (See what I did there) and don’t recall many coming back significantly pissed on post Mortem toxicology in recent years. 

"and don’t recall many Festive Drinkers coming back significantly pissed on post Mortem toxicology in recent years".

But how can police officers (allthough not nately, due to changes in police procedures ) stand a public house on the TT course in TT week, watching bikers knock back endless pints, get on their bike and ride off, and turn a blind eye to it, then come xmas, do an anti drink drive campaign, for someone who has ( one glass too many ) ?, i am not an advocate of drink driving, but i think the law needs to extinguish between either " dont drink or drive"  or its ok, if its TT week ?

• Thanks 1