Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

42 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

That so-called music is as bad as the unanswered phone! Enough to drive you bonkers

Yep.

Some 'creative' twat thinks they have found a way to make you listen to their advert. Well as far as I am concerned they can shove their widget or whatever it is they are trying to sell, up their jaksie.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, parchedpeas said:

It is good journalism, and good manners, to refer to your sources. Common practice amongst UK media. If Manx Radio haven't done this, they should, especially as their journalism is paid for by us: they should be held to the highest standards.

The Examiner was in the shops on Tuesday morning. The MR item was published at 2.43pm and if you can be arsed to read it before jumping on the haters bandwagon you will see that it does indeed quote its source as a statement from the Tevir Group. FFS.

• Thanks 3

15 hours ago, parchedpeas said:

It is good journalism, and good manners, to refer to your sources. Common practice amongst UK media. If Manx Radio haven't done this, they should, especially as their journalism is paid for by us: they should be held to the highest standards.

Not true, and not common practice, unless a media company has exclusive rights to a story (i.e. paid for it) in which case others will credit them as a source. Since I have impeccable manners I'll usually credit a source, unlike many other meeja types.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Not true, and not common practice, unless a media company has exclusive rights to a story (i.e. paid for it) in which case others will credit them as a source. Since I have impeccable manners I'll usually credit a source, unlike many other meeja types.

The NUJ disagree. Attribution is one of the first things you're taught on a Journalism ethics course although, as has been written here, I accept that in this case it appears to have been done,

Another hefty loss delivered.

Manx Radio's annual report for 2017/18 has revealed the station made a loss for the second successive year.

The figure was almost £38,000, although that is significantly less than 2016/17, when it ran at a deficit of more than £82,000.

The report will be laid before Tynwald this month, although it won't be debated by members until a later date.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Manx Radio's annual report for 2017/18 has revealed the station made a loss for the second successive year.

The figure was almost £38,000, although that is significantly less than 2016/17, when it ran at a deficit of more than £82,000.

The report will be laid before Tynwald this month, although it won't be debated by members until a later date.

It won't be debated at all as it's just an annual report.

Another presenter on Mandate this morning. Manx Radio seem to have an army of them these days. Many don't appear on the already bloated list of presenters on the website

That building up on Douglas Head has had fortunes spent on it, which I suppose is a way of saying there is so much spent installing equipment etc that it would be uneconomic to move to an industrial estate, or even offices in town somewhere

Don't 3fm broadcast from a cleaners cupboard or something? Not saying MR should do that (although with that their internet thing they probably could do it) but somewhere in between might be appropriate.

• Thanks 1

That was my opinion too, didn't they have to spend a fortune to make it wheelchair accessible? Should have sold the site off to a developer and moved to a one level property somewhere and stuck the change in their operating budget. But then it is the nations station and a valuable site on Douglas Head is clearly what's needed for its prestige.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

I wouldn't call that a hefty loss but I would call it a reduce headcount by at least one but two would be better.

Preferably from the top-end as they tend to generate the least revenue for the greatest cost.

No charge....

Edited by P.K.
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2