Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

4 hours ago, Declan said:

Not really, it is a bit W1A.  But it’s the title used for all these roles accross the UK and it does describe their role. They are put in place to cover local councils and in Ewan’s case Tynwald. If they don’t have a specific designation and become simply a “reporter” there’s a danger that they are treated like a general reporter by the host broadcaster / paper. 

As I pointed out earlier in this thread that is pretty much what has happened with a lot of papers in the UK and the BBC money was effectively just subsidising the profits of private media and no extra reporting was being done over what happened already.  Existing reporters were encouraged to apply for the BBC positions and not replaced if they got them.  I don't know if this is going to happen with Manx Radio, but if one (or both) of the staff who have moved across to the BBC Isle of Man posts is not replace, then that will have happened here as well.

1 hour ago, WKRP said:

As said here before the job is about "local" which means parish and council coverage. The job is not meant to cover "national" government reporting

Maybe it should, however, the contract specifies "Isle of Man Government" rather than "Douglas Corpy, Ramsey Commissioners, etc." like the other roles. 

42 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

As I pointed out earlier in this thread that is pretty much what has happened with a lot of papers in the UK and the BBC money was effectively just subsidising the profits of private media and no extra reporting was being done over what happened already.  Existing reporters were encouraged to apply for the BBC positions and not replaced if they got them.  I don't know if this is going to happen with Manx Radio, but if one (or both) of the staff who have moved across to the BBC Isle of Man posts is not replace, then that will have happened here as well.

Your earlier post you link to, seems spot on.

All of a sudden we have more people working for the BBC, some jumped (across the office floor) from Manx Radio. Manx Radio can still use them to provide content, but employ people to take over their jobs too.

With all its media types hustling about,  Manx Radio is looking very much like a cabinet office. But it's all one pissing pot and the people of the Isle of Man are paying for it.

How many Isle of Man journalists and reporters does it take to report a cat up a tree (or whatever).

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Gettafa - why not quit while you're behind? You simply don't know what you're talking about and are spouting foolishness.

LMAO - that's never been a barrier on here before Stu - especially for this fella who ALWAYS posts stuff he knows fuck all about.

30 minutes ago, gettafa said:

All of a sudden we have more people working for the BBC, some jumped (across the office floor) from Manx Radio. Manx Radio can still use them to provide content, but employ people to take over their jobs too.

With all its media types hustling about,  Manx Radio is looking very much like a cabinet office. But it's all one pissing pot and the people of the Isle of Man are paying for it.

How many Isle of Man journalists and reporters does it take to report a cat up a tree (or whatever).

Technically there's no more people working for the BBC than before - they've had two dedicated staff on the Island for some years (based at Douglas Head) and Baby Gawne is employed by Manx Radio - he's just paid for by the BBC.  The direct BBC employees shouldn't normally provide Manx Radio content - their job is to produce Isle of Man coverage for broadcast on BBC regional news and to write stories for the BBC website page (though they only manage less than one a day).  It's possible if something is broadcast on the BBC, Manx Radio might take a clip, though it ought to be credited.

As to how many journalists are needed - probably more if the job is to be done properly.  There is a lot that doesn't get examined and very little that gets looked at in depth or with independent research.  Some of that will be because of lack of people to do the job, though more is due to timidity and the way that the most lucrative path in journalism on the Island has become to get a PR position in the Cabinet Office.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Technically there's no more people working for the BBC than before - they've had two dedicated staff on the Island for some years (based at Douglas Head) and Baby Gawne is employed by Manx Radio - he's just paid for by the BBC.  The direct BBC employees shouldn't normally provide Manx Radio content - their job is to produce Isle of Man coverage for broadcast on BBC regional news and to write stories for the BBC website page (though they only manage less than one a day).  It's possible if something is broadcast on the BBC, Manx Radio might take a clip, though it ought to be credited.

As to how many journalists are needed - probably more if the job is to be done properly.  There is a lot that doesn't get examined and very little that gets looked at in depth or with independent research.  Some of that will be because of lack of people to do the job, though more is due to timidity and the way that the most lucrative path in journalism on the Island has become to get a PR position in the Cabinet Office.

manx radio is the only commercial radio station that the bbc do.....

and a bbc office is always a minimum of 3 not 2........

7 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

Stu makes the same program everyday about stuff he knows fuck all about, whats the problem?

Nobody expects me to be an expert on everything - I'm just that reasonable man on the Clapham omnibus. A conduit if you will for the voices of the people. The net monitor at a ping-pong game.

Luckily though, I probably know considerably more than yeow!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Declan said:

I think you are employed to be the unreasonable man on the Clapham omnibus. 

And long may that remain!

I don't very often get a chance to listen to TH but on the odd occasion that I do I have noticed that our Stu is a lot more assertive in his questioning and the views he offers/holds. IMHO. 

Carry on that man!

• Like 3

Bollocks to all this reasonable man on the Clapham omnibus,we need the grumpy bugger on the Willaston circular.

I went on that Clapham Omnibus once. Everyone, and I mean everyone, had their heads down on the mobile phones. I wouldn't ask their opinion on anything.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

World Day of Rememberance for Road Traffic Victims

Where do they get the third-raters who write the news on Manx Radio's website?

A Rushen farmhouse...?