Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

8 hours ago, WKRP said:

This is weird but you can tell MR are getting desperate. Also, I can’t find any record of these questions being tabled  on the House of Commons website.

I thought any IOM matter with the UK went through the Ministry of Justice?

2 hours ago, Twitch said:

This is weird but you can tell MR are getting desperate. Also, I can’t find any record of these questions being tabled  on the House of Commons website.

I thought any IOM matter with the UK went through the Ministry of Justice?

The question is: does this have anything whatsoever to do with UKG?

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Isn’t one of the options that BBC take it over and run it? Isn’t that a UKG matter?

I'm referring to the the IOM Select Committee.... what jurisdiction does UKG have over them? Even if the BBC take it over wouldn't there have to be an Act of Tynwald to permit that?

Why sigh! Well, if you weren’t so angry, you might work it out yourself.

Perhaps you need a dose of Flo’s rolling pin.

The U.K. Parliament has no jurisdiction over a Tynwald Select Committee, but it’s report is a public document making a suggestion about a U.K. public body, over which Tynwald has no jurisdiction. What’s wrong with someone at Westminster asking questions about IoM proposals affecting a U.K. public body?

What legislation? Why? Manx Radio, a private company, not a public body, although with the government as shareholder can just stop operating, surrender its lease and flog off its equipment. BBC will need a licence from the IoM Broadcasting Commission ( or whatever it’s called by then) and to notify for DP, premises and equipment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The U.K. Parliament has no jurisdiction over a Tynwald Select Committee, but it’s report is a public document making a suggestion about a U.K. public body, over which Tynwald has no jurisdiction. What’s wrong with someone at Westminster asking questions about IoM proposals affecting a U.K. public body?

What legislation? Why? Manx Radio, a private company, not a public body, although with the government as shareholder can just stop operating, surrender its lease and flog off its equipment. BBC will need a licence from the IoM Broadcasting Commission ( or whatever it’s called by then) and to notify for DP, premises and equipment.

Why do you think I'm angry? Not in the least, if I'm honest I'm ambivalent to most of what the report says and to MR itself. 

I'm asking why the UK government should respond to the Tynwald Committee? I thought it was a perfectly reasonable question. The fact that the BBC is mentioned in the report doesn't necessarily require UKG to respond to a Tynwald Committee, does it?  I would have thought the BBC Governors might want to contribute but not UKG.

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

Why do you think I'm angry? Not in the least, if I'm honest I'm ambivalent to most of what the report says and to MR itself. 

I'm asking why the UK government should respond to the Tynwald Committee? I thought it was a perfectly reasonable question. The fact that the BBC is mentioned in the report doesn't necessarily require UKG to respond to a Tynwald Committee, does it?  I would have thought the BBC Governors might want to contribute but not UKG.

The U.K. government is being asked to respond to a question from an MP, it’s not responding to the Committee.

Just now, John Wright said:

The U.K. government is being asked to respond to a question from an MP, it’s not responding to the Committee.

Department for Digital, Culture, Media and SportMass Media196197
To ask the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, whether he plans to respond to the Isle of Man Tynwald Select Committee on Public Service Media's November 2018 report; and if he will make a statement.

I wonder whether this is more about using whether the suggestions in the report are applicable to the UK

the questions are -

" To ask the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, what assessment he has made of the potential merits for the Government's policies of the recommendations made by the Isle of Man Tynwald Select Committee on Public Service Media in their November 2018 report; and if he will make a statement."

" To ask the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, whether he plans to respond to the Isle of Man Tynwald Select Committee on Public Service Media's November 2018 report; and if he will make a statement. "

" To ask the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, what assessment he has made of the implications for the independence of the media of the recommendations of the Isle of Man Tynwald Select Committee on Public Service Media's November 2018 report . "

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-questions-answers/?page=1&max=20&questiontype=AllQuestions&house=commons%2clords&use-dates=True&answered-from=2018-11-26&answered-to=2018-11-30&member=3939&keywords=isle%2cof%2cman

The Tynwald report's first recommendation  says

"

That the definition of “public service broadcasting” in primary legislation
should be redrafted to distinguish between mandatory and discretionary
components. The mandatory components should be limited to impartial news
and other distinctly Manx content. The other elements of the existing
definition, such as entertainment which responds to the tastes, interests and
concerns of the community, should be discretionary components."

Additionally this MP has asked about the definition of Public Service Broadcasting in the past -

Is it perhaps this guy has and ideological object to the public service broadcasting having a wider remit than local news and culture and is using the Tynwald committee report to push that agenda?

Edited by Declan
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, John Wright said:

not disagreeing with what you have said.....

without the bbc, iom wouldn't be able to broadcast anything, iomg need uk permission to broadcast this is overseen by the bbc on the rock......

22 minutes ago, woody2 said:

not disagreeing with what you have said.....

without the bbc, iom wouldn't be able to broadcast anything, iomg need uk permission to broadcast this is overseen by the bbc on the rock......

Simply not true. Manx Radio was not, and is not, overseen, regulated, or granted permission by the BBC either when set up or since or now.

initially it was the GPO in May 1964,  then, when we passed our own Broadcasting Act, IoMG and now the IoM Communications Commission 

Edited by John Wright
  • Thanks 1