Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

3 hours ago, WTF said:

you're barking like a cornered dog.

I'm a bit surprised that Stu "Sitting Duck" Peters takes all the abuse so equably. After all, he's just a small cog in the mighty media machine that is MR.

All right, once more for the kiddies.

The Gov have a duty to keep their electorate informed. From policy changes to road closures to who is off on the next waste of space jolly etc etc.

The wireless is the best medium to do this.

So they have to fund it. This isn't rocket science.

Do they represent value for money? Could it be done by another organisation to the same standard or better and cheaper? Is that even relevant as they're a government neccessity like the MLC's? 

OK, poor choice of comparisons there as I know what I would rather pay for.....

Personally I like MR. Sure it's a bit "hospital" and a bit quirky but to me that just adds to the charm. A bit like Alan Partridge being so bad it's good. 

Sure the adverts are awful but just view them as money in YOUR pocket. It's a much healthier viewpoint....

18 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

5. I can only assume you're not Manx - as I can't imagine any Manx person (even we naturalised Manxies) would gladly give up their own public radio station in favour of a service masterminded from London. 

Unless we  support Manx Radio we’re unpatriotic? Manx Radio’s staff are sounding more and more like a cult, so convinced are they of the organisation’s specialness that they can’t see the world outside the bubble. 

Manx Radio has never contributed much to my life. I can just about live with the subvention because others do. But that gets harder when the arrogant DJs refuse to play local music, especially when I know that BBC local radio stations do a better job for people in their communities like me than Manx Radio. Even it’s most basic job has become a chore where 5 minutes of news takes 15 minutes due to the adverts and the blather. 

But to take money from the BBC to give to these amateurs  is bonkers. And for Tynwald to threaten our access to the BBC to support this bag of shite is despicable. 

Edited by Declan
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

I'm a bit surprised that Stu "Sitting Duck" Peters takes all the abuse so equably. After all, he's just a small cog in the mighty media machine that is MR.

All right, once more for the kiddies.

The Gov have a duty to keep their electorate informed. 

The wireless is the best medium to do this.

the wireless isn't the best way at all cos to be effective people have to have one switched on and tuned into the correct frequency.    registered letters is surely a better way .

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, WTF said:

the wireless isn't the best way at all cos to be effective people have to have one switched on and tuned into the correct frequency.    registered letters is surely a better way .

Barking like a junkyard dog.

1 hour ago, Declan said:

I can just about live with the subvention because others do. But that gets harder when the arrogant DJs refuse to play local music, especially when I know that BBC local radio stations do a better job for people in their communities like me than Manx Radio.

Got to pick you up on that Declan. On this point you are being unfair.

Even Chris 'good number' Kinley plays the occasional local band on his morning show. I heard a local band the other week on his 'bit in the middle' feature. (Disclaimer: I don't, as a rule, listen to Kinners unless I have to ie. TT week, but Manx Radio was on in a shop).

The Sunday Afternoon show with that ginger lass, interviews local musicians and often has them playing live.

The Folk Show, which is listened to from all over t'world occasionally features a local band. Ditto brass bands on a Monday.

Then there's Bob Carswell's show, and Judith Ley, and more I'm sure, who feature local musicians and bands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

5. I can only assume you're not Manx - as I can't imagine any Manx person (even we naturalised Manxies) would gladly give up their own public radio station in favour of a service masterminded from London.

You assumed wrong. The only thing "Manx" about "Manx" Radio is the taxpayer writing its English employees' pay cheques.

I for one fully support shutting down the mediocre radio station that is "Manx" Radio. I'm not a fan of the BBC but they'd probably do a better job.

25 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

You assumed wrong. The only thing "Manx" about "Manx" Radio is the taxpayer writing its English employees' pay cheques.

I for one fully support shutting down the mediocre radio station that is "Manx" Radio. I'm not a fan of the BBC but they'd probably do a better job.

Well,

They wouldn't pay the silly management salaries, they would employ locals for the programming. Locals don't have to be Manx, just local.

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

Got to pick you up on that Declan. On this point you are being unfair.

Even Chris 'good number' Kinley plays the occasional local band on his morning show. I heard a local band the other week on his 'bit in the middle' feature. (Disclaimer: I don't, as a rule, listen to Kinners unless I have to ie. TT week, but Manx Radio was on in a shop).

The Sunday Afternoon show with that ginger lass, interviews local musicians and often has them playing live.

The Folk Show, which is listened to from all over t'world occasionally features a local band. Ditto brass bands on a Monday.

Then there's Bob Carswell's show, and Judith Ley, and more I'm sure, who feature local musicians and bands.

So the host of the lunchtime phone in show hasn’t said several times that they don’t play Manx music because it isn’t as good as the stuff from the rest of the world?

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Declan said:

So the host of the lunchtime phone in show hasn’t said several times that they don’t play Manx music because it isn’t as good as the stuff from the rest of the world?

I've answered a couple of anonymous texts over the 10 years of presenting Talking Heads telling me off for not playing more Manx music. I've made the point that in my personal opinion good music will always get airtime, and that simply being from a Manx musician shouldn't guarantee anything. And again a personal observation is that 95% of new records released around the world every week are tosh destined for instant obscurity. Anyone with a laptop can make an album these days for next to nothing - I've got a £60 DAW package on my laptop that is 1000 times more powerful than my old pro 16-track studio in Salford that probably cost £50,000 to build and equip. Which means there's vastly more recorded music, but no financial or quality filters on what's coming out.

Manx Radio features more Manx music than anyone. To some it will never be enough. To others, it will always be too much.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

I think the last time a Manx accent was heard on "Manx" Radio, we were still at war with Germany.

Not that MR was going then or you were even born.

Did you never hear Geoff Cannell, Peter Kneale. Roger Watterson,Loise Quirk, Phil Gawne, Juan Gawne, David Callister, Chris Kinley, and dozens of others ?

Most of the moaners , like you, are not even Manx in the first place.

• Thanks 1