Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

13 hours ago, gettafa said:

Well I suppose so, but with MR being subvented so largely is it not our business too? If you were employed by MR would you be happy with the 'opposition' popping in to do the occasional show? I suppose not. That broadcasting house seems to be a bit of a laid back satellite of the government gravy train these days.

Isn't his employment just a way to leverage BBC cash into Manx Radio? 

2 hours ago, piebaps said:

Perhaps this helps https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/more-bbc-staff-planned-for-island/

The money's not being given either. He works for it. You're an especially bitter troll too.

But he's also getting in on the act with IOM Newspapers! How's that work?? Does IOM Newspapers pay the BBC for his reporting??

I think the idea is that the BBC fund an extra employee to cover Local Authorities and his job is to make content that is available to all local news outlets. 

So forget the IOM for a moment. They would fund a reporter based at, say, Lancashire Evening Post who covers Leyland and Chorley Councils. His stories would go in the LEP but particularly noteworthy posts might be reported on BBC Radio Lancs or North West Tonight. But maybe there would also be a need for his work from the Chorley Guardian. 

It's basically, spreading BBC news resources away from the metropolitan centres. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, piebaps said:

Perhaps this helps https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/more-bbc-staff-planned-for-island/

The money's not being given either. He works for it. You're an especially bitter troll too.

OK..ok..he works for it, and I am not doubting his ability. 

You're being a bit sensitive there. I ask my employer for my wages - he gives me my wages).

The point being, who would be doing his work if he wasn't at Manx Radio? The way I see it, he is just another person onboard the gravy train and eases the pressure from the others. That is the way empires and an easy life are built. I'm not sure how many hours they generally do at Manx Radio but there would appear to be few that will be doing a weeks work for their weeks wages (yes, yes, I know they do other stuff when they are not on air, but still..)

3 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Who gives the title local democracy reporter?

Is it a Manx Radio thing, or some silly BBC corporate title for local news reporter? Every time I hear him called the local democracy reporter on the radio I think we might live in Beijing. 

It's a BBC thing. There are a few of them around UK, as indicated in links posted previously in the thread.

In the old days he would be accused of taking someone's job in Manx Radio, but these days the unionisation thing is dead and extra workers are welcomed because - as in the civil service - the more people working for you, the less work you have to do in your bullet proof job. And of course, the more some will be paid.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Declan said:

I think the idea is that the BBC fund an extra employee to cover Local Authorities and his job is to make content that is available to all local news outlets. 

So forget the IOM for a moment. They would fund a reporter based at, say, Lancashire Evening Post who covers Leyland and Chorley Councils. His stories would go in the LEP but particularly noteworthy posts might be reported on BBC Radio Lancs or North West Tonight. But maybe there would also be a need for his work from the Chorley Guardian. 

It's basically, spreading BBC news resources away from the metropolitan centres. 

So we're going to be fed the BBC's/Gawne's take on things, irrespective of the media outlet?

I can't help thinking that there's something pernicious going on here.

I wonder whether you’d feel different if his Dad was someone else?

People complain that the BBC don’t provide value for money on the Island. Here’s a method to increase BBC spend on the Island. 

There do need to be oversight within that these roles aren’t just replacing an employee but adding to what’s being offered. 

• Like 2

Instead of giving the lad Euan a bashing shouldn’t we be wondering what the hell the 2 BBC journalists based in Manx Radio HQ get up to.

Their output is an utter disgrace as evidenced by the pisspoor number of stories on the BBC IOM website and sweet FA on regional TV news

• Like 1

I'm not knocking the lad. It's the situation.

There are more and more journalists or media types flooding the Island. Maybe they are needed, maybe they are not. In the case of Manx Radio and BBC, it is the taxpayer/licence payer who pays for them. 

At what point does someone say "don't we have too many journalists?"

It is like saying "don't we have too many civil servants?"  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Twitch said:

Their output is an utter disgrace as evidenced by the pisspoor number of stories on the BBC IOM website and sweet FA on regional TV news

Anyone remember good ol' Newsbot?

Fortunately he was a bot, because it got a bigger forum kicking than vader ever did. And like poor old vades, was eventually destined to the forum rubbish bin.