Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

They replaced the boys for the TT Press Launch and brought in professionals. Maybe it is time for the TT Commentary to go the same way too.

I realise that part of the appeal of the Isle of Man and the TT is the quaintness of it all, but now the organisers are trying to make it a truly worldwide event maybe best to leave the lads doing the local hockey reports and 'guess the year' on Manx Radio.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2

Just looked at 2 articles on MR’s website. One about the arrest of a driver after a crash includes the phrase “...at on Westmoreland Road” and goes on to refer to “Princess Street”. No doubt that’s Princes Street. The second article, about this week’s sitting of Tynwald is subtitled “24 questions for oral answer” but the following narrative singularly fails to mention anything whatsoever about those questions. (This is a common occurrence). Amateur rubbish.

Edited to add: They’re not alone...just looked at IOMN’s leading online article; it’s about the Examiner reportage of the FlyBe situation. It tells us that FlyBe operates routes “two and from the Island”. FFS. Two being the reading age of the incompetent who wrote the article obviously.

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

If they put it on FM for the whole island instead of just Ramsey forcing everyone else to listen to the crackle of AM I might have some sympathy, but they don't so fuck 'em. 

Have you tried purchasing a decent radio...  (preferably one without valves)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

You can’t buy the knowledge & insight people like Roy Moore bring to the commentary team. Time served TT enthusiasts.

Horrendous decision by the TT licensing team to seek alternative broadcasters if true.

Is Roy Moore a MR employee? If not and he's good enough & free to work for whoever gets the licence then his knowledge/insight won;t be missed. Will it? Just sayin'...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Is Roy Moore a MR employee? If not and he's good enough & free to work for whoever gets the licence then his knowledge/insight won;t be missed. Will it? Just sayin'...

won't be missed?

4 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Just looked at 2 articles on MR’s website. One about the arrest of a driver after a crash includes the phrase “...at on Westmoreland Road” and goes on to refer to “Princess Street”. No doubt that’s Princes Street. The second article, about next week’s sitting of Tynwald is subtitled “24 questions for oral answer” but the following narrative singularly fails to mention anything whatsoever about those questions. (This is a common occurrence). Amateur rubbish.

Edited to add: They’re not alone...just looked at IOMN’s leading online article; it’s about the Examiner reportage of the FlyBe situation. It tells us that FlyBe operates routes “two and from the Island”. FFS. Two being the reading age of the incompetent who wrote the article obviously.

It's not confined to local media either. Plenty of howlers in the Times, no less. It's a general deterioration of standards and a lack of pride in the job, as well as an over-reliance on technology - no doubt the cause of the "two and from" example above.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, woolley said:

Plenty of decent radios have valves. They give a lovely sound.

I think some of the best ones had valves :) Don't think teastain realised it was a bit of lightheartedness...

2 hours ago, woolley said:

It's not confined to local media either. Plenty of howlers in the Times, no less. It's a general deterioration of standards and a lack of pride in the job, as well as an over-reliance on technology - no doubt the cause of the "two and from" example above.

Voice recognition software and a failure of proofreading I’d say.

4 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Voice recognition software and a failure of proofreading I’d say.

Proofreading?? Come on!! I don't think the originators even read stuff as they type it half the time. I'd say that in the old days of print, a lot of journalists' bloopers were spotted and corrected during the typesetting process by the old tradesmen with a weary smile. Of course, that backstop is gone now, so a lot of the goofs come straight from the writers' fingers and on to the page. Obviously, new media, the web etc. suffers from this too. There is no belt and braces capacity in the system, no catchall methods for sifting out stuff that shouldn't go out. That and a general lack of pride in the job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, woolley said:

Proofreading?? Come on!! I don't think the originators even read stuff as they type it half the time. I'd say that in the old days of print, a lot of journalists' bloopers were spotted and corrected during the typesetting process by the old tradesmen with a weary smile. Of course, that backstop is gone now, so a lot of the goofs come straight from the writers' fingers and on to the page. Obviously, new media, the web etc. suffers from this too. There is no belt and braces capacity in the system, no catchall methods for sifting out stuff that shouldn't go out. That and a general lack of pride in the job.

Shame.

• Thanks 1