Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

15 minutes ago, woolley said:

Proofreading?? Come on!! I don't think the originators even read stuff as they type it half the time. I'd say that in the old days of print, a lot of journalists' bloopers were spotted and corrected during the typesetting process by the old tradesmen with a weary smile. Of course, that backstop is gone now, so a lot of the goofs come straight from the writers' fingers and on to the page. Obviously, new media, the web etc. suffers from this too. There is no belt and braces capacity in the system, no catchall methods for sifting out stuff that shouldn't go out. That and a general lack of pride in the job.

It's the old saying: put rubbish in and you'll get rubbish out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The same error is repeated on 3fm's news page. Both they and MR appear to have copied their angles directly from the IoM Constabulary fb page. Lazy 'journalism' and you'd expect the cops to supply accurate info.

From 3fm's webpage... 

Screenshot_20190115-160718.png

Edited by quilp
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

You can’t buy the knowledge & insight people like Roy Moore bring to the commentary team. Time served TT enthusiasts.

Horrendous decision by the TT licensing team to seek alternative broadcasters if true.

Yep, genuine in the blood bike fans. Peter Kneale, Geoff Cannell et al

Some of the guys these days think they are 'it'. I suppose that is not necessarily a problem, but pseudoness does kinda show through. And undignified fake enthusiasm seems to be the order of the day.

Maybe I'm just getting aul.

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

Yep, genuine in the blood bike fans. Peter Kneale, Geoff Cannell et al

Some of the guys these days think they are 'it'. I suppose that is not necessarily a problem, but pseudoness does kinda show through. And undignified fake enthusiasm seems to be the order of the day.

Maybe I'm just getting aul.

Not at all , you are spot on there 

I can’t stand people like Steve Parrish , a one time decent rider, thinking he knows it all and is something of a celeb.

My god, I even saw an advert for tickets for an evening with SP.

Talk about sticking pins in one’s eyes 

16 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Not at all , you are spot on there 

I can’t stand people like Steve Parrish , a one time decent rider, thinking he knows it all and is something of a celeb.

My god, I even saw an advert for tickets for an evening with SP.

Talk about sticking pins in one’s eyes 

everybody that ever rode round here is a celeb in their own  minds,  they survived the place.  to be fair to parish he also commentates on the telly so he is still sort of current when it comes to bike racing

9 minutes ago, WTF said:

everybody that ever rode round here is a celeb in their own  minds,  they survived the place.  to be fair to parish he also commentates on the telly so he is still sort of current when it comes to bike racing

I think he is still shit as a “ commentater “

Maybe the accent does him no favours. Fackin ell mite 

and just what is a pundit

Edited by dilligaf

4 hours ago, woolley said:

Proofreading?? Come on!! I don't think the originators even read stuff as they type it half the time. I'd say that in the old days of print, a lot of journalists' bloopers were spotted and corrected during the typesetting process by the old tradesmen with a weary smile. Of course, that backstop is gone now, so a lot of the goofs come straight from the writers' fingers and on to the page. Obviously, new media, the web etc. suffers from this too. There is no belt and braces capacity in the system, no catchall methods for sifting out stuff that shouldn't go out. That and a general lack of pride in the job.

Today's "Isle of Man Examiner" features a story by a scruffy twenty-something reporter who attended a sitting of the Tynwald select committee on whistleblowing. The head of the IOM Civil Service and Chief Secretary is Will Greenhow who gave evidence before the select committee. Our intrepid reporter,  perhaps with his mind overly focused on the provenance of his next pie,  refers throughout the report to "Will Greenwood" and describes him as the "chief secretary to the Cabinet Office". How hard would it be for a reporter employed to report on the workings of the Isle of Man Government to get these simple facts correct?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Have you tried purchasing a decent radio...  (preferably one without valves)

He could buy the best radio in the world but it’ll still be on AM you doofus. Think you have missed the real point Teapot was making but as said 64, remarkable you’ve reached this age and no one has stoved your head in. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Gizo said:

He could buy the best radio in the world but it’ll still be on AM you doofus. Think you have missed the real point Teapot was making but as said 64, remarkable you’ve reached this age and no one has stoved your head in. 

Quite remarkable how anonymous posters advocate violence as a solution. Let's play a game of fuck off. You go first...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

How hard would it be for a reporter employed to report on the workings of the Isle of Man Government to get these simple facts correct?

Obviously too hard for the lackwit you describe.

• Like 1