Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

6 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I noticed it had changed earlier today but didn't have time to look at it properly. But reading your comment I've just viewed it on my home PC and I have to say it seems a big improvement to me (I know people will think I HAVE to say that but I'd not comment at all if I thought it was tosh). I don't have the eyesight to use the internet on my moby so don't know how it is on Android. I just wish they'd Photoshop my picture. I still prefer the moody black and white shots from (probably) 15 years ago when I had hair. And no glasses.

Probably me being fussy, because I don't look at the MR website, I read it (the news) every day. I don't care how pretty or colourful it may be, all that matters is how well it works as an electronic document. Whoever did that refresh needs to be beaten over the bonce with a stack of typography textbooks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I just wish they'd Photoshop my picture. I still prefer the moody black and white shots from (probably) 15 years ago when I had hair. And no glasses.

Hah hah!

In an earlier version of the Manx Radio website all the presenters were photographed 'artistically' in black and white, and all looking skywards towards the lens.

This for example showed off the womanly assets of the female presenters but showed Manx Radio's more than fair share of baldies at their less flattering angle. So - particularly as it was mono and shadowy - they were all photoshopped a relatively generous barnet. It was funny as fuck and like something out of the Fast Show.

• Haha 1

Juan Turner posted...

Worst ever audience figures for Manx Radio. It really is time this station was given to the BBC to run and fund on behalf of the IOM. How our MHK’s can justify cutting services and increasing charges to taxpayers while funding this place is beyond me. They just have no backbone.

14 minutes ago, WKRP said:

Juan Turner posted...

Worst ever audience figures for Manx Radio. It really is time this station was given to the BBC to run and fund on behalf of the IOM. How our MHK’s can justify cutting services and increasing charges to taxpayers while funding this place is beyond me. They just have no backbone.

Not to run, just to fund. Not like he doesn't have an axe to grind though, is it? Why is he so anti-MR? Didn't they give him his first break as a kid? Bet they're sorry they did now!

I know he started a competitor station later on, but there does seem to be a lot of venom in the relationship now. Was he sacked? That would be the only reason I could imagine for the ill feeling. If he just left to set up in competition, well, he knew better than most the nature of the playing field and the available market. MR does seem to have an awful lot of disgruntled ex-employees. Or is it a lot of awful, disgruntled ex-employees?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, woolley said:

Not to run, just to fund. Not like he doesn't have an axe to grind though, is it? Why is he so anti-MR? Didn't they give him his first break as a kid? Bet they're sorry they did now!

I know he started a competitor station later on, but there does seem to be a lot of venom in the relationship now. Was he sacked? That would be the only reason I could imagine for the ill feeling. If he just left to set up in competition, well, he knew better than most the nature of the playing field and the available market. MR does seem to have an awful lot of disgruntled ex-employees. Or is it a lot of awful, disgruntled ex-employees?

I'll go with the latter.

31 minutes ago, woolley said:

I don't know Mr Turner, but, whenever he opens his mouth, or taps a keyboard, he really does come across as a thoroughly nasty, and vindictive, little man.

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

I don't know Mr Turner, but, whenever he opens his mouth, or taps a keyboard, he really does come across as a thoroughly nasty, and vindictive, little man.

He is. 

They've never pinned the other FB page to him though have they? The nasty one that trashed almost every candidate in the last election. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

He is. 

They've never pinned the other FB page to him though have they? The nasty one that trashed almost every candidate in the last election. 

Was that the same one the elegant Ms B posted on? anonymously (allegedly)

5 hours ago, Nellie said:

To be fair he's right regarding MR's audience figures.  

Year on year they've lost 5000 listeners,  a loss of 73000 listening hours.  That's one in seven.  Or 15%. Gone.

Meaning our effective annual contribution to Manx Radio keeps getting more expensive..

In the same period, 3fm stayed pretty flat at 25000 listeners, showing those who like it are loyal and listening for longer.  The've actually increased their total listening hours by 30000.

Right now there are only 7000 more hours of listening to Manx Radio than there are to 3fm. And just to twist the knife a little more - MR have LOST ten times that in the last year.

Any commercially focused radio station across would have made some big changes by now. Whatever your feelings toward Mr Turner, he's right. The failure of those in charge at MR to arrest the decline in audience is abysmal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1