Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

You're not alone,  audience figures out yesterday show MR have lost another 50,000 listening hours this quarter.

The quarter ending June 2019, they posted 255,000 total listening hours from 30,000 listeners.  Last quarter was 300,000 listening hours from 30,000 listeners.

Energy aren't in Rajar so no idea, but in the same period, 3fm had 254,000 hours from 27,000 listeners.

If I could be arsed, I'd work out how much the annual subvention is per head just to get the additional 3000 listeners...

On 7/30/2019 at 2:16 PM, Roger Mexico said:

I was just terribly impressed that they managed to find someone in Arbory Parish (Chair of the Commissioners, Stephen Gawne; Clerk to the Commissioners, Phil Gawne; Captain of the Parish, Ray Gawne) who had a different surname.  It's Manx Radio, so I wasn't expecting in-depth investigations.

And we wonder where all the money's gawne? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, gettafa said:

You are a member of the establishment and I claim my £5)

That made me LOL. :D

The Mrs is away this weekend. If I can stop wanking for 5 minutes, I'll have a rummage through the old gov accounts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On MR's News Page today:

50 year old Peter Michael Birchall of Richmond Close appeared before magistrates at Douglas Courthouse. . . . .

Birdcall’s case was adjourned while psychiatric and pre-sentencing reports are prepared . . . . .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gettafa said:

An interesting play on words for someone done for phoning his ex.

The website will probably be changed once the Manx Radio news team log into Manx Forums for any news.

Yes - agreed, Gettafa.      He WAS making calls to his ex-bird!

(Wonder if he also sent her some Tweets?)

Edited by KERED
Addition of text
  • Haha 3

Talking Heads should be called the Big Whinge Line.   If it isn't the prom it is the prison all the experts putting their two pennies worth in.   Paul's show last night was great as usual and Terry Cringle was pure gold on the telling of the ship that hit the rocks in 1900.

• Like 1

(Are you ok sid? I've noticed you using the sad emoticon an awful lot these days.)

Yep, Terry's 5 minutes is always excellent. It's well researched, often poignant with relations to events of today and always enlightening and entertaining. Repeated Monday evenings too.

Paul's show is ok, and I would imagine if you were shaking a leg around the many venues in Douglas back in the '60s/'70s then more so.

Talking Heads is Talking Heads. There were some good opinions thrown in the pot today.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I expect if there is no news it is difficult trying to get subjects that will stir the senses but surely there are some inspiring or productive things happening on the Island.   As for the sad emoticon I just use that if I disagree with a point of view.    There is too much argy bargy without me joining in.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I expect if there is no news it is difficult trying to get subjects that will stir the senses but surely there are some inspiring or productive things happening on the Island.   As for the sad emoticon I just use that if I disagree with a point of view.    There is too much argy bargy without me joining in.  

Sidney, there is much science involved in masterminding an intellectually stimulating phone-in audience participation programme like Talking Heads. Sadly I'm neither a scientist nor an intellectual mastermind, but I have a feel after 11 years of hosting the show for what will generate calls. I could talk up all sorts of positive stories (maybe) but it's not a news programme and I know they'd generate little interaction. It's things like talking about the prison programme. Gave it two shots last week (before and after it aired) and the response was absolutely huge both times. Brexit and climate change did well today, but when I talked about other local issues last week (amalgamation of local authorities for example) it was tumbleweed junction. It sounds easy-peasy to do what I do (and it's certainly not rocket science) but I DO put some thought into every topic.

• Like 2

I certainly agree that you have a mammoth job to do trying to promote interesting subjects and it is not easy peasy , not a bit, I think the negative bit comes in with all the experts, who really in most cases have not a clue, constantly critisize everything that is going on, it must be very discouraging for people who are trying their best for the best outcome.   Take the Promenade for instance, big job keeping traffic flowing and services operating also an unknown quantity, it was always going to be a major upheaval, always going to be a big mess and complaining constantly is not going to solve any problems.   Shoulda, woulda and coulda, are very much alive.

• Like 2

I always had you down as a disgruntled government worker sid. Eking out your days until retirement by slagging off everything and anything government related. Now you have the posting style of someone that was caught by the boss and made to turn double agent, lest be faced with the loss of pension. If this is the case then I fully understand, can't fault you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

I certainly agree that you have a mammoth job to do trying to promote interesting subjects and it is not easy peasy , not a bit, I think the negative bit comes in with all the experts, who really in most cases have not a clue, constantly critisize everything that is going on, it must be very discouraging for people who are trying their best for the best outcome.   Take the Promenade for instance, big job keeping traffic flowing and services operating also an unknown quantity, it was always going to be a major upheaval, always going to be a big mess and complaining constantly is not going to solve any problems.   Shoulda, woulda and coulda, are very much alive.

How's Kate doin'?