Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

8 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

That's not all they're requesting they want to stay in old and crammed broadcasting house for no particular reason and put the shares back into trust because that worked so well last time.

That's a really weird section isn't it?

Manx Radio’s studio and office location at Broadcasting House (BH) on Douglas Head have been the station’s home for a number of years. It is the position of the board that, should a more suitable central location offering easier access to the public, with enough space to house all the functions of a public service broadcaster and which would solve the long-running parking issues at Douglas Head be found, it would be welcome.

So apparently some people are suggesting that its current position on Douglas Head is incredibly distant from, er, Douglas and what is more has parking problems, unlike apparently, Central Douglas.  Presumably this has been caused by some Higher Up being forced to walk 10 yards from their car and demanding action.  While it's a perfectly sensible position to say that they should have been moved decades ago, given the amount they have spent there, starting all over again would be the definition of throwing good money after bad.  Not that that has ever stopped the Manx government from pointless, expensive capital works before, but even Manx Radio realised that another £2 million to achieve slightly different parking problems might not go down well.

The trustee thing isn't bad in principle, but for it to work there would have to be genuine independence from the civil service and that isn't going to be allowed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's a really weird section isn't it?

So apparently some people are suggesting that its current position on Douglas Head is incredibly distant from, er, Douglas and what is more has parking problems, unlike apparently, Central Douglas.  Presumably this has been caused by some Higher Up being forced to walk 10 yards from their car and demanding action.  While it's a perfectly sensible position to say that they should have been moved decades ago, given the amount they have spent there, starting all over again would be the definition of throwing good money after bad.  Not that that has ever stopped the Manx government from pointless, expensive capital works before, but even Manx Radio realised that another £2 million to achieve slightly different parking problems might not go down well.

The trustee thing isn't bad in principle, but for it to work there would have to be genuine independence from the civil service and that isn't going to be allowed.

Maybe some would prefer it to be located at the top of prospect hill. How sad is that.?

Edited by dilligaf

Ex-media folk including former Manx Radio, now working in the cabinet office seem rather proud to call themselves spin doctors.

The fact that the Isle of Man Government has spin doctors at all.

How sad is that?

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, gettafa said:

Manx Radio fails miserably in trying to be 'Manx' (whatever that may be). Certain presenters should just naturally be themselves. 

Throwing in the contrived word "Foxtul" (translation = Foxdale) or 'Andrusss' (translation= Andreas) makes it not Manx anything, just comic theatrical Manx. I bet not one of those 'Foxtul', 'Andruss' presenters pronounced those words that way a couple of decades ago. 

I know what you mean, but in defence of my colleagues it's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. I remember very early in my radio career being told by John Dog how to pronounce Andruss, as he'd been born there and knew. So I complied and then got told by dozens of others that he was wrong. Maybe he was just winding me up on purpose.

Same thing goes with Heysham/Heeshum - people get so upset that The Boy Brindley uses both pronunciations during his sailing updates. Same with Foxdale/Fosdal. If we use Anglicised pronunciation we're criticised for 'not being Manx' and if we go for the Gaelg we're accused of trying too hard. Can't win.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Snaipyr said:

No matter what the supposed 'new sound' will be it'll certainly not be immediately recognisable as being broadcast from the IOM. Tune into RTE1  and you instantly know it's Irish radio!

are they still advertising for spuds ?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

You calling me twisted, lets see how you get on with this little gem... 

WTF is going on there? Had the subvention cheque just arrived? Is that Stu in drag?

At least Tynwald members were sensible enough not to post their equivalent online.

11 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I know what you mean, but in defence of my colleagues it's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. I remember very early in my radio career being told by John Dog how to pronounce Andruss, as he'd been born there and knew. So I complied and then got told by dozens of others that he was wrong. Maybe he was just winding me up on purpose.

I grew up in Port St Mary. I call it 'Pot-le' (As in Purt le Moirrey). When I am in conversation with friends and family they know where I am talking about.

I don't go round hounding Manx Radio broadcasters to pronounce the way it was when I were a lad.

Similarly with 'Pully'. We all know it is a well known colloquialism for Pulrose, but again, I haven't known anyone hound Manx Radio news readers, for example, to say 'Pully' rather than Pulrose. (An extreme example I realise but it makes the point).

John Dog is a poet and a joiner not a scholoar of orthoepy. Being born and brought up in a place does not, in this matter provide any particular qualification. Much the opposite I would say.

PS.

I don't think he was winding you up, but it does make you look as a bit of a silly billy as our John does at times.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

At this years poetry slam, the presenter was a poet from across and introduced John Dog in the way you would expect if you didn't know better. He walks on stage muttering loudly "It's spelt Callister but it's pronounced Collister."

I'd still it's best to get things right and Foxdul and Andruss seem like reasonable adhearance to the local tongue. Whereas calling PSM, Port le Moirrey sounds like a wilful affectation.

2 minutes ago, Declan said:

At this years poetry slam, the presenter was a poet from across and introduced John Dog in the way you would expect if you didn't know better. He walks on stage muttering loudly "It's spelt Callister but it's pronounced Collister."

I'd still it's best to get things right and Foxdul and Andruss seem like reasonable adhearance to the local tongue. Whereas calling PSM, Port le Moirrey sounds like a wilful affectation.

Try asking a bus driver for a ticket to Purt le Moirrey....

I can sort-of understand how the English got Douglas from Doolish, Ramsey from Rhumsaa, Laxey from Laksaa  etc but Peel from Purt ny Hinshey?

How does that work?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Try asking a bus driver for a ticket to Purt le Moirrey....

I can sort-of understand how the English got Douglas from Doolish, Ramsey from Rhumsaa, Laxey from Laksaa  etc but Peel from Purt ny Hinshey?

How does that work?

It was named in honour of Peel Group. The powers that be were on the ball in those days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, woolley said:

It was named in honour of Peel Group. The powers that be were on the ball in those days.

They were grovelling to Peel Group even back in those days :lol: