Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

4 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Roger, I do hope that you’re not attempting to suggest that the infallible and highly professional coterie of top class journos at IOM ‘Newspapers’ may be guilty of an error? It would be unworthy of you to even think it. Tut tut.

To be serious about this for a moment, this looks to be as much a management mistake as anything.  Mistakes will occur in any news service and the thing to do is put them right as quickly and sincerely as possible, especially when it would have been a horrible thing to imply in the circumstances.  It's management's job to make that happen, but the time lag and the rather formal wording suggests complaints were ignored and only corrected when legal action was threatened.

(If the original report had been correct it would be just as much a management failing because they would be failing to back their journalists when they we right and had legal protection).

The news and information side of Manx Radio comes over as a bit half-arsed these days. More effort is put into such as Ben's Banger, Where's Wotton and all the other abundances of alliteration. 

In October the whatever, Manx Radio, overnight, lost much of its serious side, which had been built up via the Mandate programme from the days of Charles Guard, Charlie Webster, David Callister, Roy MacMillan. Even oor Stu did his bit. (Mossy likes to think himself as Mr Mandate, and fair enough he has done his bit, but not in respect of building it into the serious and respected current affairs programme it became ).

Incidentally, is there a main sponsor on the morning programme these days, like there was for Mandate? I simply can't listen to it, to find out.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2

On 12/5/2019 at 5:26 PM, Donald Trumps said:

Haven't heard a Xmas song yet (tho' Alice Cooper is threatening it on Planet Rock) listening - as I now do - to LBC

Did learn today tho' that the NYPD choir - you know, the ones who sing 'Galway Bay' - are in fact Irish people singing in the 'drunk tank'

Not to be 'Bah, humbug about it, but, for the past week I have had my ipod playing in the car as the wall to wall Christmas  music is just too much.  Invariably, Christmas  tunes are pretty poor music, with some notable exceptions it has to be said.  When it isn't Christmas tunes, it is some dredged up relic from decades ago. 

Christmas music does not make me feel festive at all, especially when it starts earlier than selection boxes being sold in Tesco. (I exaggerate to make a point.)

• Like 3

I apologise to Mylchreests for my appalling error in blaming them for an abysmal radio advert.

The culprits were Millichaps.

My only excuse is that I have been conditioned into stuffing things into my ears and throwing things at the radio as soon as I hear "Mill...."

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I turned on MR a couple of days ago, for the first time in 3-odd months TBH.

"Dumbed down", I believe is the expression?

That's the audience, the station is worse. I and a few other ex-pats down here used to listen to MR - now only occasionally for the news.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, monasqueen said:

I apologise to Mylchreests for my appalling error in blaming them for an abysmal radio advert.

The culprits were Millichaps.

My only excuse is that I have been conditioned into stuffing things into my ears and throwing things at the radio as soon as I hear "Mill...."

...ion pounds to pay attention in future?.  You have no excuse

7 hours ago, The Orgozoid said:

It’s terrible the two presenters who were on the other afternoon sounded like they were on the happy pills. 

If your work had been given £1million for the forthcoming year you'd be on the happy pills too, And 2 or 3 presenters for a programme? Whatever, there's plenty of money to do, whatever. Just have a laugh, make silly videos, have a laugh.

£1million - wow! 

It's party time on the Head alright. I just wish they'd be a little less obvious about it and make more of an attempt at pretending to be a National Broadcaster.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 3:06 PM, gettafa said:

If your work had been given £1million for the forthcoming year you'd be on the happy pills too, And 2 or 3 presenters for a programme? Whatever, there's plenty of money to do, whatever. Just have a laugh, make silly videos, have a laugh.

£1million - wow! 

It's party time on the Head alright. I just wish they'd be a little less obvious about it and make more of an attempt at pretending to be a National Broadcaster.

Agreed!   It is (to quote Peter Karran) all very clubby clubby, pally pally, chummy chummy.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

By giving £1m to Manx Radio to take itself away from the Manx community broadcaster that it is supposed to be, Tynwald has made itself unable to afford to appoint the Auditor General

Extremely convenient for some, perhaps?

Indeed. I feel a petition coming on before the next payment is even considered.

Total abolition of 'responsibility' as the 'national broadcaster'.

Though the petition needs to be thoughtfully worded first.

• Like 1