Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

7 hours ago, WKRP said:

I think so much that is going wrong in the Manx Radio newsroom can be summed up in one of today’s headlines.

”Travel industry on the up, despite external pressures”

It’s clearly a low level bit of advertising for a local travel agent, who has no more idea than anyone else at the moment to the possible effects from the current coronavirus situation.

What was needed in the interview was to ask about all the people who had lost out on their holidays due to the collapse of Thomas Cook, who appeared to have a connections to this travel agent at that time as it took them down for a few days as well. Has everyone been sorted? Etc.

This had the potential of being an interesting, if difficult interview, for the guest, but he was not challenged on the real issues.

Looks like the interview was suggested by the travel agent to get some faith back into booking with him. You can’t blame him for that, but surely the young journalist could have probed further and got a news story out of it.

If he had been quizzed by the late David Callister I think it would have had a different slant to the story.

Oh no double bad luck. Binned out for an MR job and lost a holiday at Thomas Cook. Life's tough isn't it?:D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

Just goes to show, even the best critics can make mistakes...

Well I hope I for one am wrong. 

Oh btw, I still listen after 9pm, 7 days a week, I have no real problem with those shows. But as for the day time especially morning Mandate - Manx Radio left me, sort of thing, not the other way round.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/28/2020 at 3:00 PM, WKRP said:

What was needed in the interview was to ask about all the people who had lost out on their holidays due to the collapse of Thomas Cook, who appeared to have a connections to this travel agent at that time as it took them down for a few days as well. Has everyone been sorted? Etc.

This had the potential of being an interesting, if difficult interview, for the guest, but he was not challenged on the real issues.

But was said agent paying for the interview?

I was in town today walked past three travel agents in the street and they were all deserted apart from staff and this was lunch hour which is usually busy.   This is the biggest peice of bullshit I have heard for ages.   Friend of mine are cancelling holidays others have had flights pulled most are holding back on booking until they see what the next few months bring. If you are self employed the thought of catching the virus even if is very slight and having two weeks off to recover there would then be another two weeks isolation it is a no brainer who can afford this ?and even worse if you come home unaware of being infected and pass it on to your work force it could be the end of your business.

Does anyone know what has happened to Alex Wotton it appears as though she is no longer doing Manx Radio breakfast and has been replaced by Beth Espey? Very odd given that the new programme has not been going long. 

13 minutes ago, IOM said:

Does anyone know what has happened to Alex Wotton it appears as though she is no longer doing Manx Radio breakfast and has been replaced by Beth Espey? Very odd given that the new programme has not been going long. 

Hey...no cheating! Like the rest of us millions of listeners text your answer when they ask  "Where's Wotton?". Apparently you can win a mug or keyring.

• Haha 2

As I said at the time, nothing is cast in tablets of stone and the new schedule is a work in progress by The Management. In fact Chris Williams and I have been talking about swapping shifts - we think I'm just the sort of chirpy, wisecracking, enthusiastic young thing to drive the early show.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, IOM said:

I think it was another of the 'Brindley Babes' (god, did I just write that?).

I got fed up with wall to wall coronavirus on  BBC Radio 4 (better than Brexit thoiugh) and tuned in to MR this morning and there was a politician being interviewed. It was a serious interview too, no larking about and talking about their favourite kids film. It was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory the other day - was the original better than the fucking remake or whatever. It really was like being forced to listen to people having a silly private conversation, like being stuck on a bus at school time.

It had been getting stale this past couple of years, but I do miss Manx Radio Morning Mandate. 

• Thanks 1

On Mannin Line right now, Andy Wint fawning over what a great Chief Minister Donald Gelling was.

DG is a nice enough guy, but at best is a tractor salesman. He was the CM when the Isle of Man was getting an extra £200million per annum in VAT revenues. His greatest phrase - done in a manx drawl - "I'd rather deal with the problems of success than the problems of failure".

OK.

Don was knocking about at the start of IRIS, Incinerator, MEA etc.

Why is Andy Wint fawning so much as to what a great Chief Minister Donald Gelling was.

• Like 3