Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

28 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

I would agree. I was a supporter of the Tynwald subvention but the recent changes that Brindley has introduced has led me to reconsider as it appears to have dumbed it down. I was not an avid listener but most mornings I listened to mandate. I would check out what was on the Sunday opinion slot and listen to that often the follow up mannin line. I generally listened to part of the sports preview and results programs and sometimes the six o'clock talk slots depending on topics.

Not any more. The inane wittering in the mornings mean I no longer listened to the old mandate slot. I tried this week to catch up with the latest on Covid 19 and gawd it was awful. Decide if you want to be a music slot, a news slot or whatever. We had the MLC elections recently and I knew virtually nothing about those standing where as previously I would have heard interviews on the morning mandate slot etc. I don't listen to the mandate slot in the morning in the car on the way in so my radio is not tuned in to pick up if there is anything on interesting in the six o'clock slot.

The Saturday sport preview has been cut as has the results programme which is now only on MW. Many modern radio's don't have MW as an option. The Sunday Mannin line has gone.

I never thought I would say this but it is time for Man Radio to stand on its own two feet as it basically just becoming just another radio station and no longer lives up to its self proclaimed title of the nation's broadcaster. If it wants to keep its subvention then it either needs to go back to covering properly Island life, sport, news and politics otherwise just compete in the market place with Energy and Three FM.

My listening pattern was quite similar to yours. Mandate on the way to the office or online if I was already there. Talking Heads if the subject appealed. Then the evening speech content if attracted by the topic. Also Sunday Opinion sometimes. Now the mornings are intolerable. I don't mind the new Mannin LIne. I believe that Wint is a good broadcaster. Not much else. Stu at night on occasion but that isn't really natural radio time for me. I would love to know the TRUE listening figures for the old AM-FM split morning service compared to the combined pattern now. I don't believe it would be pretty. 

• Like 6

Firstly well done to Tim Glover stepping up to the plate and asking relevant questions and not being intimidated by H.Q  he seems light years ahead of other interviewers at present.

I cant believe that mandate hasn’t reverted simply to a news and update program, instead of serious topics being discussed then jolly presenters playing music in between ( which is distracting) the mix just does not work , move the Ben lad to join Tyler for upbeat stuff,  mandate needs the likes of Glover, Evans, Pearson,  Mercer and Espey whose very good when she’s being serious , also I think the Mannin line needs to go back to 2 hours less of Wint waffle more from the people .  I have a mental picture of that programme Take me out with Paddy  Mcguiness with Manx radio as the Singleton and as soon as it’s 1pm all the lights go out.

• Like 4

This morning the topic was the virus...then they played "Happy" by Pharrell Williams then straight away Beth Espey did the news about the woman found dead in Ramsey.

Manx Radio. A station for all seasons.

Edited to add clip for the record. Above actually happened, it wasn't a sick joke.

20200323 Breakfast - Pharrell Happy.mp3

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, GreyWolf said:

Firstly well done to Tim Glover stepping up to the plate and asking relevant questions and not being intimidated by H.Q  he seems light years ahead of other interviewers at present.

I cant believe that mandate hasn’t reverted simply to a news and update program, instead of serious topics being discussed then jolly presenters playing music in between ( which is distracting) the mix just does not work , move the Ben lad to join Tyler for upbeat stuff,  mandate needs the likes of Glover, Evans, Pearson,  Mercer and Espey whose very good when she’s being serious , also I think the Mannin line needs to go back to 2 hours less of Wint waffle more from the people .  I have a mental picture of that programme Take me out with Paddy  Mcguiness with Manx radio as the Singleton and as soon as it’s 1pm all the lights go out.

Manx Radio has lost too many of its serious news/discussion people.

They dusted off Beth Espey and brought her in this morning, but she has been Stepford Wife for a long time.

"Do you call it a scon or a scone?" call now.

"Do you squeeze the toothpaste from the middle or the end?" call now.

Meanwhile there is another woman presenter forcing laughs and a bloke stuck in the middle playing the downtrodden obedient male.

The New Manx Radio

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 3

I’ve got my new friend Alexa programmed to put the sound up and down at regular intervals. Down volume ‘3’ when the music comes on, down volume ‘4’ when the adverts come on, up volume ‘5’ when the weatherman comes on.  

And off when Andy Wint comes on. ’ 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Rubbish isn't he. He just breezes through the programme, never really engaging with what people are saying, and eases them off the line with bland cliches, jaunty optimism and that awful media insincerity. Stu could often get it wrong but you always felt that he was trying to get it right.

Stu was ‘there’. I didn’t always like the way he presented but it was him warts and all. Andy Wint is an excellent presenter but he doesn’t seem to be all that ‘present’, as you say, rushing through, and not genuinely connecting with his guests and interviewees. 

5 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

mrScreenshot (66).png

Had to get the magnifier out then...

In these unprecedented times I think Albert is right. Not all day every day but certainly a more serious slant without the music. The young ones in the morning actually do a really job job. They are excellent presenters, Ben especially, he’s extremely professional and he strikes a good balance between fun and seriousness however I’m not convinced fun is what we need at that time when we’re trying to get the population to take things seriously.

i still think the government had a hand in swopping the cash for excluding them from morning accountability. But these are different times now.