Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Papa Lazerou in League of Gentlemen isn't a white man blacking up to ridicule a black man - it's a white man blacking up to ridicule a white man blacking up.

Good post,  ^ is the nub.

Once humour goes beyond a superficial level many people are unable to think beyond knee-jerk offence. I appreciate it's not always clear-cut, and in this case I would imagine people laugh at the the initial level of the 'joke'.

The 'british' can laugh at or deprecate themselves freely, which I have found many people don't get, but that is what the major is (silly old coot from another age of the empire, type thing).

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

If JW did type Faragher and then subsequently changed it to Farage, why doesn't the post show that he's edited it??

If you subscribe, you can edit without it being shown as edited, and delete posts, and other stuff (like go to the area of the forum for subscribers only where you can discuss how tight-arsed everyone else is for not subscribing and stuff like that). .

Edited by gettafa

7 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

If JW did type Faragher and then subsequently changed it to Farage, why doesn't the post show that he's edited it??

Edited by Neil Down
duplicate post

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I did. My copy on my ipad shows edited.

I can see that it does now that I've reloaded the page.... but what I don't understand is why it didn't show before as I read your original post, Declan's and even Roger's. Something not right somewhere.

The Fawlty Towers thing is not a mystery and its certainly nothing to do with Cleese and the Germans. The offending part is a conversation the Major has. He's recounting a story about taking a woman on a date to a cricket game and he uses offensive terms to describe the West Indian team.

At first blush its PC gone mad, but when you watch it back in full, its not surprising.

20 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I can see mass book and DVD burnings happening next. A stupid majority led by an ill-thinking minority.

Meanwhile, the authorities keep laughing as the focus moves away from reforming the police in the USA.

Quite.

I'd better watch my copy of "Blazing Saddles" while I still can....

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, piebaps said:

The Fawlty Towers thing is not a mystery and its certainly nothing to do with Cleese and the Germans. The offending part is a conversation the Major has. He's recounting a story about taking a woman on a date to a cricket game and he uses offensive terms to describe the West Indian team.

At first blush its PC gone mad, but when you watch it back in full, its not surprising.

Is still think Cleese and the writing team were clearly lampooning the racist views of people just like the Major who had often returned to the UK to retire from colonial assignments they had in the 50s and 60s.

Edited by Mr Newbie
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Nope, never heard of Keith Lemon either so googled images, never seen him before. A miraculous escape by the sounds of it. Looks a bit too smug anyway.

Try Bo' Selector!