Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, Apple said:

Does anyone have the viewing figures for this year then please. Are they up or down since SP moved?

I am entitled to know as I believe I'm a shareholder, in the broadest sense of the term of course.

The viewing figures would have tumbled after the New Manx Radio in October 2019. Then Covid-19 happened to save the day.

And yet somehow Manx Radio claimed another £200,00 from the Covid coffers.

(yes, yes, fucking yes, @Roxanne and @Uhtred I know I said that already. Well I'm going to say it again. And maybe just for you, even again)

1 hour ago, Apple said:

Does anyone have the viewing figures for this year then please. Are they up or down since SP moved?

We don't know,  RAJAR who measure the figures stopped collecting them after Q1 (Jan-Mar) 2020 because of Covid-19.  In any case, like most figures for small stations, Manx Radio's are assessed over 12 months not 3, so it's difficult to see the effect of short term changes until after a year has passed.

35 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Massive increase in video viewing, which suggests a development path to me if not others

Especially now that MTTV has stopped being funded, so there is no main video alternative.  It will be interesting to see if Manx Radio pick up some of Moulton's public service work (such as Tynwald Questions) or whether they just do as little as possible as usual.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

The viewing figures would have tumbled after the New Manx Radio in October 2019. Then Covid-19 happened to save the day.

And yet somehow Manx Radio claimed another £200,00 from the Covid coffers.

(yes, yes, fucking yes, @Roxanne and @Uhtred I know I said that already. Well I'm going to say it again. And maybe just for you, even again)

I’m unsure why you’re so agitated that I might need to know that again...and again. Try not to have a thrombosis in ‘21.

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

My very personal impression is that IOM media are not encouraged to show an interest in politics and the administration of public affairs

They are....but only as long as the news is good. Critical and investigative journalism is not the strong point, although it has to be said that the situation is better than it was 15-odd years ago. You never read or heard a peep against Govt at all then.

22 hours ago, monasqueen said:

I don't know. I don't listen to the radio in the evening.

The Manx Radio "Peter Pan" boy wonder Chris Williams has returned from his surgery, and alleged this morning at the end of his show that he had to go home "to polish his staples". Not sure we wanted to know about that.

At least it saves us from the "Kinners' Conundrums".

Yep and I've been looking for Wendy for years and as for the Boy Wonder, I wonder what Robin would make of that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve tried listening to Manx Radio again but it is hard. This dual presenter thing is awful. It’s not intimate radio. I like Chris Williams , he’s a proper broadcaster and Manx Radio have plenty like him but don’t use them properly. Instead we get Captain Smug et al wittering with each other. Get it sorted , we pay for it. We all know who the good ones are. Just dump the deadwood. But leave the niche ones like brass and and opera hour and that farming one and Judith Lay. I seldom listen to those but loads do and when I have I’ve liked them. It’s what we all pay them for - variety.

Many of the duals forced to double up are far better on their own , because that is what radio is , the presenter talks to you. And bring back proper Mandate. And bring back Peters so we get a laugh at lunchtime.

Rant over. No one will give a hoot anyway.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

How much extra funding will Manx Radio ask for this time.

As it could be a new strain   on the taxpayers, it could cost a fortune.

Will they just get a bailed out again from Skelly and DfE ( please remember it is an election years)

or will they have put a businesses case to Tynwald and have to justify to the public.

About as likely as David Ashford getting a modelling contract.

24 minutes ago, Holte End said:

How much extra funding will Manx Radio ask for this time.

As it could be a new strain   on the taxpayers, it could cost a fortune.

It's not clear what the £200,000 claim was for last time. Isle of Man Newspapers, Isle of Man TV, 3fm, Energy, Gef thingy etc stood up to the mantle but Manx Radio couldn't without taking a huge extra wedge of taxpayers cash.