Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Is Manx Radio being fed texts and messages to read out?

I have been listening to Manx Radio for half a century, and you get a feel for the sort of things people say when they contact the station. I know Andy Wint on Mannin Line adjusts the texts and emails he does receive, to suit his agenda. And I do wonder about some of the "correspondents" that make off the cuff remarks to the show.

The Breakfast show receives some messages that I wonder about too.

It all keeps the kettle boiling I suppose, but is there a possibility that some spurious dialogue is being generated?

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Is Manx Radio being fed texts and messages to read out?

I have been listening to Manx Radio for half a century, and you get a feel for the sort of things people say when they contact the station. I know Andy Wint on Mannin Line adjusts the texts and emails he does receive, to suit his agenda. And I do wonder about some of the "correspondents" that make off the cuff remarks to the show.

The Breakfast show receives some messages that I wonder about too.

It all keeps the kettle boiling I suppose, but is there a possibility that some spurious dialogue is being generated?

Can you provide an example?

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Can you provide an example?

Well as examples, most of the texts I sent in were amended by Wint, amended until they lost all intended meaning and almost said the opposite of what I was saying. I gave up yonks ago and know other people who feel the same.

Just listen to the Mannin Line, there are lots of so-called correspondents, quick messages that crop up as the presenter is flowing things along. Talking/arguing with himself. I suppose some would say it is radio and does it matter, as long as the show is erm, entertaining.

Maybe Wint is a superhero that gets everyone to constantly contact the programme. There's never any time for music, which is not a bad thing, but it just means that Andy Windbag gasses on and on, stoking the debate in his head.

• Like 1

Just now, Barlow said:

Well as examples, most of the texts I sent in were amended by Wint, amended until they lost all intended meaning and almost said the opposite of what I was saying. I gave up yonks ago and know other people who feel the same.

Absolutely.

Experienced that a few times myself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Just listen to the Mannin Line, there are lots of so-called correspondents, quick messages that crop up as the presenter is flowing things along. Talking/arguing with himself. I suppose some would say it is radio and does it matter, as long as the show is erm, entertaining.

Maybe Wint is a superhero that gets everyone to constantly contact the programme. There's never any time for music, which is not a bad thing, but it just means that Andy Windbag gasses on and on, stoking the debate in his head.

He’s an egotistical prat.

Bring back Stu  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Barlow said:

Wint is a Pound Shop Jeremy Vine. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, forestboy said:

He’s an egotistical prat.

Bring back Stu  

He is better than Stu Peters. By a long shot. All you got from Stu Peters was incessant whining most of the time and lots of fake news. I remember one time he came on the mannin line and had an absolute fit over a YouTube video of someone throwing a tantrum in McDonalds because they didn't get enough ketchup. Turns out, that video was nothing more than a prank video. But, given Stu Peters desperation to find anything to push his own prejudice agenda. He bought into it hook line and sinker thinking it was real and raged as such the very same day. Stu Peters is a arrogant, prejudice, egotistical stuck up old fool who is better relegated to his night spot. He spewed far too much hatred to be on daytime radio and made the whole thing way too negatively political. You can't really call it "the nations station" when the nation he represents are those livid at the fact they have to be nice to people now.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chie said:

He is better than Stu Peters. By a long shot. All you got from Stu Peters was incessant whining most of the time and lots of fake news. I remember one time he came on the mannin line and had an absolute fit over a YouTube video of someone throwing a tantrum in McDonalds because they didn't get enough ketchup. Turns out, that video was nothing more than a prank video. But, given Stu Peters desperation to find anything to push his own prejudice agenda. He bought into it hook line and sinker thinking it was real and raged as such the very same day. Stu Peters is a arrogant, prejudice, egotistical stuck up old fool who is better relegated to his night spot. He spewed far too much hatred to be on daytime radio and made the whole thing way too negatively political. You can't really call it "the nations station" when the nation he represents are those livid at the fact they have to be nice to people now.

I suspect you mean "prejudiced" and not "prejudice" as I can't see you producing two typos on the same word.

Errrr "prejudice" against what exactly?

Hatred against what exactly?

Please explain what you mean by "negatively political" thanks.

As the Manx are now a minority on Mannin is "the nation he represents" the non-Manx majority?

Which part of the population, Manx or non-Manx, "are those livid at the fact they have to be nice to people now"...?

Thanks for any clarification...

17 hours ago, Barlow said:

Anything I send in is either read out exactly as I sent it or not mentioned at all. 

Which reminds me. I haven't played along with the manninline for a while.

Maybe today should be the day we try and get a MF phrase on there?

Edited by trmpton

7 hours ago, Chie said:

Well that is one view.  It's a stupid one, but a view none the less.

• Like 2