Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Well. It's hard to imagine why they would get paid at all really. Sad set up really. (Starting to sound like John Ottaway (really free):lol:)

I'm genuinely surprised that we still have three commercial radio stations 14 years after the latest one opened. Radio stations are cutting costs,  dropping frequencies and even closing down all over the UK. I don't know whether to be impressed with the Island stations' sales departments or astonished that businesses keep spending money on advertising sufficient to keep the wolf from all of their doors.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, woolley said:

I'm genuinely surprised that we still have three commercial radio stations 14 years after the latest one opened. Radio stations are cutting costs,  dropping frequencies and even closing down all over the UK. I don't know whether to be impressed with the Island stations' sales departments or astonished that businesses keep spending money on advertising sufficient to keep the wolf from all of their doors.

Manx Radio is supported by an Isle of Man Government Subvention that all us IOM Taxpayers subscribe to by default! In fairness to Manx Radio their Isle of Man current affairs programmes and better local news reporting is way above the competition so at present I am happy to support their better service delivery, that said, they need to pull their socks up as the competition are literally biting at their ankles. 

• Like 1

It seems an odd mix-up:

3FM to set the record straight

Tuesday, February 20th, 2018 10:34am

In an article on 3FM earlier this week, we reported Jo Pack of The Sports Package had asked £150 from charity fundraisers to compere a cheque handover.

We would like to set the record straight that Ms Pack was not asked to compere or handover a cheque. She was asked to film the event for which a fee of £125 was charged to cover the videographers expense as The Sports Package is a business.

3FM is happy to set the record straight.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience or distress caused to Ms Pack.

It doesn't seem that much to have something filmed and edited professionally.  But you wonder why a local charity would bother to do such a thing (there will usually be a volunteer to do so for free, if less dexterously) - delusions of grandeur I suppose.

On 19/02/2018 at 6:38 PM, Last Ten said:

OK just found it via Google Cached search - Googled 'Jo Pack £150' and it brings you to a 3FM website comment, then clicked Cache and Bobs your Uncle!!. Thanks Google.

From above to below WOOPS 3FM eating massive humble pie :-) Lol

http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/3fm-to-set-the-record-straight/

On 20/02/2018 at 12:40 AM, woolley said:

I'm aware of the subvention, but they still need to sell the same again and more in advertising in a small domestic economy to meet the current outgoings. That same economy then supports the other two stations as well. It's remarkable.

Remarkable indeed. But it brings us the important local news. The latest effort, 'Could Lucan be on the Isle of Man?' This, because an Island 'resident' apparently bid for, and bought more lots of Lucan's possessions at auction in the UK.

Ffs. His top hat, cloak and canes, all exceeding their reserves and the majority were bid for from here. And just in case anyone has any suspicion about the old geezer in the laundrette or perusing the wine cabinet in Spar, here's what he'll look like these days. Aged 84...

Ridiculous... 

_20180301_105143.JPG

Edited by quilp
Checking the price of scrap lead...
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Quilp, you are Lord Lucan and I claim my £5

I like the fed to a tiger or his mate's lions story best after shooting himself. Often, when stories come about him, the fate of Sandra Rivett, who had her whole life ahead of her, seems forgotten about. As in the MR piece. It's really nothing to be joking about. 

• Thanks 1