Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

43 minutes ago, Gagster said:

No vested interest at all, don’t know what you’re trying to say there. 

Too much time - that would also be a no.  I have a Manx Forum ‘content count’ of 165.  Your ‘content count’ is 3621 - you clearly have more time than many!  

Perhaps you should spend less time on Manx Forums and more time on your radio work and clarifing facts - such as the status of your show and how it fits in with Manx Radio strategy.  Speak to the MD and clarify your programme role.

Just because this one has 165 counts...:thumbsup:

59 minutes ago, Gagster said:

Too much time - that would also be a no.  I have a Manx Forum ‘content count’ of 165.  Your ‘content count’ is 3621 - you clearly have more time than many!  

Maybe Stu is just more voluable. I would say a must for someone working in the media.

1 hour ago, Gagster said:

Perhaps you should spend less time on Manx Forums and more time on your radio work and clarifing facts - such as the status of your show and how it fits in with Manx Radio strategy.  Speak to the MD and clarify your programme role.

Eh?

It's the MD's role to set the strategy and ensure it's carried out. That's what he's paid for FFS! If Stu strays from the remit then the MD should be putting him straight. So it's safe to assume that Stu is on mission.

Dear me.

• Thanks 1

The BBC is getting into hot water over its requirement that presenters have their own service contracts, and some of the presenters are not too happy with the fact that they are treated as self-employed, so they do not qualify for sick leave, etc....

It looks as though the HMRC are getting very interested about the tax aspects of people who are claimed to be self employed, yet do specified jobs at specified times.

It's very convenient for the BBC if their staff can be persuaded to account for their own tax, NIC, other expenses, holidays, etc....., and it looks as though there may be some interesting arguments looming over contracts of employment/contracts for services.

Manx Radio are in danger of falling into the same hole.

11 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

The BBC is getting into hot water over its requirement that presenters have their own service contracts, and some of the presenters are not too happy with the fact that they are treated as self-employed, so they do not qualify for sick leave, etc....

It looks as though the HMRC are getting very interested about the tax aspects of people who are claimed to be self employed, yet do specified jobs at specified times.

It's very convenient for the BBC if their staff can be persuaded to account for their own tax, NIC, other expenses, holidays, etc....., and it looks as though there may be some interesting arguments looming over contracts of employment/contracts for services.

Manx Radio are in danger of falling into the same hole.

In the case of the BBC this has been used as a device to obscure massive payments to "talent" often into offshore accounts, so it was also very convenient to said "talent". I think that whether or not Stu, Beth and Co. have massive slush funds in Cayman based on their toils at Manx Radio is one of our more unlikely worries.

ETA: I appreciate your post is aiming at the other end of the spectrum. I always thought it a bit off that the people who actually ARE Manx Radio to the public were largely forced onto a freelance model while the management stayed firmly on the gravy train. Ain't it always the way though?

Edited by woolley
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, woolley said:

I always thought it a bit off that the people who actually ARE Manx Radio to the public were largely forced onto a freelance model while the management stayed firmly on the gravy train. Ain't it always the way though?

You're "management" aren't you Woolster?

Frankly I think zero hours contracts are much worse. The appalling Maybot cites the employment figures as a positive when the zero hours numbers are nudging a million with many on benefits as a consequence.

15 minutes ago, P.K. said:

You're "management" aren't you Woolster?

Frankly I think zero hours contracts are much worse. The appalling Maybot cites the employment figures as a positive when the zero hours numbers are nudging a million with many on benefits as a consequence.

labour polices....

Poorly drafted. So now they're going to be ringing in thinking that retirement age moves to 67 next spring............

Friday, March 23rd, 2018 6:35am

Manx Pension Supplement phased out

Changes to state pensions will officially come into force from next spring.

The new single-tier Manx state pension, announced in last month's budget, was approved unanimously in Tynwald this week.

In a move which effectively brings the system into line with the United Kingdom, anyone who has made National Insurance contributions here for 35 years or more will be able to claim the basic state pension of £180 per week.

The retirement age for both men and women will rise to 67.

Contracted-out pensions will be abolished, and the Manx Pension Supplement will be gradually phased out.

Although the measures have been in the works for some time, Speaker of the House of Keys Juan Watterson pushed unsuccessfully this week to send them to a parliamentary committee.

The changes ring in on 6 April, 2019.

If you reach existing retirement age before then, you will not be affected.

.............I read it as into line with the pension commencement age only and then only for folk born after 1960..............any one born before that date it's as you were............if I'm right it seems to be another overly complex sledgehammer to crack a walnut, as it were...............

Listening to the John Moss show earlier Colin Leather and Dr Allanson both suggested that we have reserves of £1.3bn which we should be "Using".

My understanding is that we DO NOT HAVE reserves of £1.3bn which are available to Government. Nearly all of that money is the NI pension fund which is specifically for that purpose. If that fund is broken into there should be a revolution.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Listening to the John Moss show earlier Colin Leather and Dr Allanson both suggested that we have reserves of £1.3bn which we should be "Using".

My understanding is that we DO NOT HAVE reserves of £1.3bn which are available to Government. Nearly all of that money is the NI pension fund which is specifically for that purpose. If that fund is broken into there should be a revolution.

And i'll be leading it!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

Did they intimate what "we" should be "using" it for?

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

Yes it’s most odd...Allinson is measured, articulate and convincing in the abortion debate and yet in the discussion you refer to his remarks bordered on the imbecilic - very confusing.