Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

On 5/3/2018 at 4:48 AM, Gladys said:

I had one, from some pretender called Elvis Costello.  

And he still is pretending.   (He never seems to be sure whether to be Mr Presley, Mr Holly or the comedy partner of Bud Abbott.)

On 5/3/2018 at 12:45 PM, woody2 said:

the bazza and buster show.......

A Buster and Vader podcast carefully produced and edited (think Unreal / Big Brother) could be cult listening internationally.  With a  talkback section for Barrie and other regulars. You could make good revenue selling advertising on that. It wouldn't even need to be explained. They could just start in the middle on any topic. As long as they never became self-aware.

Edited by pongo

29 minutes ago, woody2 said:

r.thumb.jpg.6beca744f605dcba19b99e3bee58ec96.jpg

That's pretty much the story of my life. I'm currently reorganising my collection and the house looks like ... 

high-fidelity-viny_3075406k.jpg?itok=4hd

(Apart from the Fleetwood Mac lp of course) 

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, pongo said:

A Buster and Vader podcast carefully produced and edited (think Unreal / Big Brother) could be cult listening internationally.  With a  talkback section for Barrie and other regulars. You could make good revenue selling advertising on that. It wouldn't even need to be explained. They could just start in the middle on any topic. As long as they never became self-aware.

i think you've spelt that wrong....

7 minutes ago, Declan said:

What happens when the record you want to play is in the middle of that lot. 

Just play it on Spotify. I'm sure that's what Carl Cox does too (it's his record collection in Woody's photo).

• Like 1

Well compared to Carl Cox I'm an amateur. 

I do that when I'm out and about, there's even an app that turns your Discogs Collection into a Spotify playlist. But in the house it's easier to just pick up a record and play it than all the faff of finding something on Spotify. 

Vinyl for home, streaming for on the move. This rather feels like what all the earlier formats - cassettes, cds, minidiscs, iPods - has been building towards. 

2 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

I'd bet a large number of those won't be on Spotify, they'll be very limited runs on white label that are just mailed out to jocks and probably only played once. And even then not all the way through. 

True, Discogs is full of unwanted dance 12"s. 

Another advantage of owning a record is you are not at the mercy of future licencing vagaries.