Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, LightBulb said:

Is this the first renewal time, is there likely to be another option, another radio sation that can do it better / for less?

Yes, just don't have a radio sation and save even more money, if bikers want to stay up to date then buy a smartphone.

I guess demading even more money from government to pay for extra staff and expenses to do the TT stuff was the killer.   Let others do it at their expense and not ours gets my vote.  Same for the rest of their 'content' too as far as i'm concerned.  how  gawne and quirk would bore the public then would be their lookout.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, WTF said:

I guess demading even more money from government to pay for extra staff and expenses to do the TT stuff was the killer. 

It is rather stupid that they run local adverts on radio TT, the advertising revenue should pay for the commentary and extra costs it should even turn a profit but they make a huge loss.

As has previously been discussed it is normal around the world for sports event rights normally to go out to tender, frequently won by the highest bidder. I quite like the alternative approach taken by MR of 'pay us to cover it'. Its ambitious, but has worked well for them so far.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hissingsid said:

The process of tender is usual business practice.    All these hysterical people who are signing the petition would be the first to complain if taxes went up because good business practice was not followed.

It is though an odd situation in that Manx Radio are not meant to make a profit to return to shareholders and on the basis that covering the TT is profitable the "TT profit" is presumably used to cover in part their public service broadcasting remit. If they lose the TT rights then presumably they the Govt subvention will have to increase to make up the shortfall? Because Manx Radio is a non profit organisation that is supported by a Govt subvention to cover the costs in theory Manx Radio should bid nothing as they would be using subvention funds to do so or alternatively they could bid £100million as the money would go on a merry go round. Manx Radio pay Manx Govt £100million for the rights. Manx Govt increase the subvention to Manx Radio by £100million

Presumably  therefore for a bid to be successful it would have to be for more than the Manx Radio would lose by not having the rights and requiring an increased subvention. Or at least that appears to be the logical position but logic often flies out the window where Govt is concerned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

As has previously been discussed it is normal around the world for sports event rights normally to go out to tender, frequently won by the highest bidder. I quite like the alternative approach taken by MR of 'pay us to cover it'. Its ambitious, but has worked well for them so far.

Didn’t Energy or 3fm have a go at TT commentary a few years ago. If my memory serves me right (and it normally doesn’t) the commentary was dire 

They tried and Manx Radio got shitty about it. They couldn't stop the commentary then and the reporter was restricted to certain areas of the Grandstand. The commentary wasn't bad but they were up against Geoff Cannell who had access to pit lane and the winners enclosure etc. It was the days before Chris Kinley, who really was dire for his first couple of years at least. Some would say he still is.

This was also the days before Green Light broke new ground by threatening legalities against a bloke who had a webcam from his front garden transmitting to the internet 

• Like 1