Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-radio-in-talks-over-tt-contract/

Whatever happens, I can see this this being the next IOMG fcuk up. It will end up another PR fiasco. Yes I agree the commentary should be put out to tender. Why should taxpayers continually pay, we now need to be realistic and live in the real world. It’s possible other radio broadcasters could do it cheaper, and provide an alternative, refreshing and invigorating race build up and commentary. Manx Radio has become lazy and complacent, and certainly so sectors of Manx Society being afraid of change, think it’s Manx Radios god given right to control and broadcast events. However being the IOM, I can see Manx Radio retaining the commentary, price being nothing to do with it - I can see the overall MHK interference taking hold, MHKs worried about their electoral chances in 2021.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Another PR fiasco? 

The Cabinet Office is advertising for a Comms Exec and Comms Officer on a 12 month LTA.  Combined salaries about 70k

Perhaps they are being taken on to manage this?

Sounds like it. Or depending on your outlook, another HRH Chief Minister screw up. Still, at least he has been successful at something - increasing the head count of civil servants.

11 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Sounds like it. Or depending on your outlook, another HRH Chief Minister screw up. Still, at least he has been successful at something - increasing the head count of civil servants.

A 12 month LTA for 2 roles suggests something afoot. If it was to cover absence then you’d just temp promote upwards and backfill the lowest grade.

Re: TT/MGP coverage...It's mostly listened to on A.M. by visitors and locals. We already have the A.M. set up so the real extra costs are presenters, 'guest' costs, support staff and overtime, plus equipment.

However, MR already do many other outside broadcasts year round, so presumably they already maintain much of the existing equipment for that already.

The real issue here IMO is - are MR double counting equipment and other costs already covered by their existing subvention? ...and e.g. dividing their existing costs by 52 and multiplying by 4 wks to base their bid on?

Few if any other companies will be able to do it for the kind of money being talked about as they would likely to have to team up with MR and their A.M. setup anyway, and MR could make up any £number to charge for that facility.

The way forward IMO is to more closely audit MR's existing costs for this...and filter any bullshit from the roses.

Edited by Albert Tatlock

49 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Re: TT/MGP coverage...It's mostly listened to on A.M. by visitors and locals. We already have the A.M. set up so the real extra costs are presenters, 'guest' costs, support staff and overtime, plus equipment.

However, MR already do many other outside broadcasts year round, so presumably they already maintain much of the existing equipment for that already.

The real issue here IMO is - are MR double counting equipment and other costs already covered by their existing subvention? ...and e.g. dividing their existing costs by 52 and multiplying by 4 wks to base their bid on?

Few if any other companies will be able to do it for the kind of money being talked about as they would likely to have to team up with MR and their A.M. setup anyway, and MR could make up any £number to charge for that facility.

The way forward IMO is to more closely audit MR's existing costs for this...and filter any bullshit from the roses.

roses?  what fucking roses?  it's all bullshit up douglas head.

40 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Albert - this is exactly right , IMHO too! Government own MR, and it is totally absurd to engage another broadcaster of potentially unproven or unknown competence, when all that is really required is a proper review of the details  of MR's recent quotes to ensure that they are only billing DED for genuine extras costs. Take this number and deduct the advertising revenue generated, and this is the real cost. If they do well on the adverts and actually make a profit, this ultimately must reduce the subvention, so everybody wins. 

I suspect that this whole exercise has been driven by Juan Turner, just to cause a lot of trouble and inconvenience for as many people as possible. Any suggestion that his media empire could in any way stage a credible bid is absurd. I never listen to his station, but I understand they've never organised a commentary on an under-12's football match.  

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Would MR save money by just broadcasting Radio TT on all frequencies for the two weeks and sack off their normal output? Why do they bother with both? Just combine them, especially as AM is shit, and most mobile phones have an FM radio on them.

I'm pretty sure that the terms of their license would not allow this. They have to maintain their normal Public Service Broadcasting obligations 365 days a year.

Edited by Nellie
  • Like 1

Why is it a big deal anyway if Manx Radio get paid to broadcast the races?

Nobody is lining their pockets from doing so, so why all the belly aching?  

I cant see anyone from outside being interested and Mickey &Minnie are not capable of anything but playing looped music.

Edited by dilligaf

5 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Why is it a big deal anyway if Manx Radio get paid to broadcast the races?

Nobody is lining their pockets from doing so, so why all the belly aching?  

Indirectly they are. There should be no big management/director fees up there.

The whole structure needs revisiting and put on a firmer more realistic footing. 

19 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I'm pretty sure that the terms of their license would not allow this. They have to maintain their normal Public Service Broadcasting obligations 365 days a year.

I'm sure there should be a way to combine their public service broadcasting obligations into radio TT. 

31 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Would MR save money by just broadcasting Radio TT on all frequencies for the two weeks and sack off their normal output? Why do they bother with both? Just combine them, especially as AM is shit, and most mobile phones have an FM radio on them.

Unrealistic and unfair to 80% of their overall listeners. Any cost saving on the FM side would be minimal in the day time IMO.

• Like 1