Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Good point, with listen again options available now if you don't like the live show there's loads of other options. It's people who have it on all day at work that I feel sorry for, but then it that could be worse you could have to listen to 3fm.

One thing I must comment on regarding MR - the sound is way better than it used to be, whomever the latest sound technician person is has quite an ear. Could do better ofc but again, that's probably me not him/her :)

Energy and 3FM are really annoying, like a yappy dog.

Which station is the Foxdale advert on? Costains of Fox'dl - love it.

I disagree. The sound level continuity is AWFUL. When a newsreader or Stu, for example is speaking I have to turn it up. Then the music comes on and you have to turn it down. Then the benighted adverts come on and it is even louder. I don't know whether this is a deliberate attempt to make you listen to the ads but it certainly doesn't have the desired effect. It has me reaching for the off switch.

I do wonder if anyone there actually listens to the product that comes out the other end. I suspect they seldom do.

• Like 4

I do wonder if anyone there actually listens to the product that comes out the other end. I suspect they seldom do.

Oh come on, not listen to themselves you have to be joking right?

Well some of the things they say on air make it obvious they are unfamiliar with other programmes. But that wasn't meant as a jibe. Just that I would expect the sound levels to be picked by somebody there and that they'd sort it out.

• Like 1

Adverts tend to sound louder as they often use compressed sound. The ear hears logarithmically and so the same amplitude of wave, compressed, sounds much louder than a generally uncompressed TV or Radio programme.

Can't speak for MR but most radio output is compressed in order to achieve optimal performance from lower quality receiving equipment such as portable radios and cheap car radio speakers.

When I were a lad (long, long ago) and studio engineer for a station claiming a 15 million audience we used to have a £6,000 pair of electrostatic studio monitors in the control room, and a crappy £10 Motorola car radio speaker to ensure we kept the dynamic range within the capabilities of the majority of cheap radios.

We also used to boost voice c. 30% peak over music because irrespective of the peak output the average volume of music is higher due to continuous filling of a broader frequency spectrum (would be easier if I drew a simple graph but you know what I mean).

Adverts & jingles tend to sound loud because they combine speech and music, but are commonly played at peak instead of being retarded to compensate for the wide frequency spectrum usage.

• Like 4

One thing I must comment on regarding MR - the sound is way better than it used to be, whomever the latest sound technician person is has quite an ear. Could do better ofc but again, that's probably me not him/her smile.png

Energy and 3FM are really annoying, like a yappy dog.

Which station is the Foxdale advert on? Costains of Fox'dl - love it.

manx Radio. Awesome advert.

That man is an absolute legend and is the only person on earth who can really say "Catalytic Converters" with any real authoritythumbsup.gif

• Like 2

And I'm completely open to constructive criticism

Clearly you aren't.

He said constructive.

Not the thick as pig shit garbage you pedal.

Thick as pigshit garbage?

It's probably better than making serial angry posts threatening people and telling them that what they say is rubbish, or that they are stupid, or what they say is 'nonsense' which seems to be your standard response to just about anything on here. You must have a terribly small penis to make you so irrationally angry.