Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

5 hours ago, La Colombe said:

Another hefty loss delivered.

Manx Radio's annual report for 2017/18 has revealed the station made a loss for the second successive year.

The figure was almost £38,000, although that is significantly less than 2016/17, when it ran at a deficit of more than £82,000.

The report will be laid before Tynwald this month, although it won't be debated by members until a later date.

start charging the staff to park......

• Like 1

Interesting...it seems the money that Manx Radio gets is far more than just the subvention 

MANX RADIO - The True  Cost..........................................The total level of funding for the year ending 31 March 2019 including the annual subvention is £1,145,000 (2018:£911,574).  Note 15 in the accounts. They made a further loss in this year 3 years running. They also had a cash advance of £200k..(up from £150k the previous year) don't know how this is approved.How can this continue? when other services has cutbacks or increases stealth charges

3 hours ago, WKRP said:

Interesting...it seems the money that Manx Radio gets is far more than just the subvention 

MANX RADIO - The True  Cost..........................................The total level of funding for the year ending 31 March 2019 including the annual subvention is £1,145,000 (2018:£911,574).  Note 15 in the accounts. They made a further loss in this year 3 years running. They also had a cash advance of £200k..(up from £150k the previous year) don't know how this is approved.How can this continue? when other services has cutbacks or increases stealth charges

You should get together with the bitter brewer.

Jesus, what a pair of lemon suckers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A fair point is being made. Should previous years' losses be just forgotten about with a double line drawn through them?

Or do they welcome even more of their friends onto the rather lucrative carriage of the Isle of Man Government gravy train?

47 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

You should get together with the bitter brewer.

Jesus, what a pair of lemon suckers.

Forget the "bitter brewer," the Douglas Headifice continues to cost the taxpayer more each year. It can't be wrong to question its viability on whether it's value for money, or not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, quilp said:

Forget the "bitter brewer," the Douglas Headifice continues to cost the taxpayer more each year. It can't be wrong to question its viability on whether it's value for money, or not. 

WKRP is only questioning through jealousy. 

Most failed presenters are a bit bitter, some are very bitter. There have been a few on here as you know.

So how many staff have they actually got ? Every day a new one pops up.   This is not Radio 2?it is just a step up from hospital Radio with a bit of yesterday s news thrown in.   There has to be a cull not employing more.  Last time I asked there were 70?plus a lot were part timers or contributing but all getting paid no doubt this is ridiculous.  There was a girl on the other day sounded about ten, she is new, why are they employing new staff when without government support they would not be able to pay the existing ones.   The Radio doctor who mumbles that much you have not a clue what he is saying obviously gets paid. All these little contributors who probably do not get a lot, it all adds up.    

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

So how many staff have they actually got ? Every day a new one pops up.   This is not Radio 2?it is just a step up from hospital Radio with a bit of yesterday s news thrown in.   There has to be a cull not employing more.  Last time I asked there were 70?plus a lot were part timers or contributing but all getting paid no doubt this is ridiculous.  There was a girl on the other day sounded about ten, she is new, why are they employing new staff when without government support they would not be able to pay the existing ones.   The Radio doctor who mumbles that much you have not a clue what he is saying obviously gets paid. All these little contributors who probably do not get a lot, it all adds up.    

The radio doctor was not mumbling, he just said you needed a hearing test.

Manx Radio take in trainees on a regular basis too, so don't confuse that with headcount. I also don't believe that there are 70 people on the payroll, unless 30 or 40 are self employed and doing the odd hour here and there.

The radio doctor is ace, sid. I had to phone a doctor after the parish walk (other reasons but most concerning, my pish was coming out like onion soup) imagine my surprise when it was him at the other end. He reassured me that everything would be fine. And it was.

Edited by gettafa
  • Thanks 1

Well apologies, seems I was wrong, well done Radio doctor x but there are a lot of bit players, and the numbers I was given was from someone at the station last year, but can they afford all these people? You cannot run a business, year after year losing money in the real world this would not happen.

36 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Well apologies, seems I was wrong, well done Radio doctor x but there are a lot of bit players, and the numbers I was given was from someone at the station last year, but can they afford all these people? You cannot run a business, year after year losing money in the real world this would not happen.

The bit players don't cost so much money, such as the brass band, opera and folk shows and all that. It's the army of full-time/part-time/contract presenters and reporters and hangers on that take the wedge.

Edited by gettafa