Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

20 minutes ago, overCome said:

Do those earnings include allowances (car, healthcare, pension etc) or sales related bonuses?  Not sure we have any way of knowing...

It's called 'remuneration', so I would imagine it includes sales-related bonuses, but not benefits in kind, such as cars or healthcare or other employment-related costs such as pension contributions (I think they're in the government scheme).

I think you're probably right.  I don't know if the staff at MR enjoy benefits similar to the BBC's unpredictability allowance (UPA)? Their rates are 10 & 20% of salary.  That's a chunk of extra cash on a 70-90k basic.  

Also, just looking at the audience our annual gift of 875,000 is buying.  And it would appear it's costing us all 25% more per listening hour than last year.

Year on year (Q1 2017 to Q1 2018), they've lost a quarter of their total listening hours.  That's a HUGE drop.  

The annual report claims their audience has been "predominantly static".  Sorry, I'm calling Bull. Q1 2017 posted total hours listened as 410,000.  Q1 2018 - 302,000.

5300 fewer weekly listeners and market share falling through the floor.  That, is not, 'predominantly static', it's bl**dy disastrous!

As a comparison, the Rajar website shows 3fm's total hours for Q1 2018 as being 245,000 with weekly listeners of 27000 vs MR's 31,900.

Might need to rewrite that Nation Station slogan soon

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 20.38.37.png

• Thanks 1

All government funded employee's remuneration should be public. It is only when it started to become secret, sorry I mean private, that the fuckers realised they could get away with as much as their boots could carry and that is what has happened for the past 3-4 decades. This has happened throughout UK but the Isle of Man has been quick to step in line with it all, including the use of imaginative job titles to obfuscate the situation.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, gettafa said:

All government funded employee's remuneration should be public. It is only when it started to become secret, sorry I mean private, that the fuckers realised they could get away with as much as their boots could carry and that is what has happened for the past 3-4 decades. This has happened throughout UK but the Isle of Man has been quick to step in line with it all, including the use of imaginative job titles to obfuscate the situation.

I thought all salaries were still published, in so far as how many on each grade.

I don't think extra hours etc are anyone else's business to be honest

They have thousands less listeners because of old people are dying and their audience mainly of middle aged and the elderly who turn over to Radio 2 when the bang, band, two word music, if you can call it that comes on.   If they catered for the older audience they would get more people staying tuned in after the news.   

I think it’s the commercials that do them in.

They stack them high and sell it very very low (cheap), having the subvention to look after the real costs of production.

All those singing jingles really don’t work unless they are changed every few week

The programs have not changed in over 10 years

The presenters are bored...the audience are bored.

Brindley needs to make some big changes but is hampered by agreements keeping all the daytime presenters in place for life since moving from staff to freelance contacts.

The news has always propped up the RAJAR numbers - listen for a few minutes and RAJAR give you a full hour of listening - but now they have lost James Davis it’s in free fall.

1 hour ago, WKRP said:

I think it’s the commercials that do them in.

They stack them high and sell it very very low (cheap), having the subvention to look after the real costs of production.

All those singing jingles really don’t work unless they are changed every few week

The programs have not changed in over 10 years

The presenters are bored...the audience are bored.

Brindley needs to make some big changes but is hampered by agreements keeping all the daytime presenters in place for life since moving from staff to freelance contacts.

The news has always propped up the RAJAR numbers - listen for a few minutes and RAJAR give you a full hour of listening - but now they have lost James Davis it’s in free fall.

You state pretty much all those wild claims as facts. They are not, they are YOUR opinions. Thus just the rantings of a man down the pub with a grudge.

• Like 2

“Rantings of a bloke in the pub”, or  Opinion of a stakeholder? Maybe one of the 5300 weekly listeners who have turned away from MR in the last year?

Respectfully, Stu, as from your posts you come across as one of the good guys, you can’t escape the fact that if the current audience decline continues, in 3 years there will be nobody left!

I’ll correct one statement from WKRP - rajar counts in chunks of 15 mins, not an hour.

8 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

You state pretty much all those wild claims as facts. They are not, they are YOUR opinions. Thus just the rantings of a man down the pub with a grudge.

Man (and his mates) down the coffee shop with a grudge

17 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Thanks Roger. Yes, I do think those salaries high for a business which is handed the best part of a million quid from the public each year and still makes a loss.

It may be justified if they were the top on-air talent bringing in high listener figures and advertising revenue. But are these guys just the managers. 

36 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Yeah sorry about that, I went away for a week in January...

...Rajar is a load of innaccurate guessometer bollocks IMO.

You’re right, it is. And the radio industry are aware of its flawed methodologies.

But at least this flawed method is the same yardstick which measures every BBC and commercial station in the country, and has done for 30 odd years.

In the absence of anything better, it’s accepted as the official measurement by stations, Ad agencies and large corporates as a guide as to where the audiences are and where to spend their advertising budgets.

If a station is prepared to believe the audience figures when they’re good, they also have to take it on the chin when they’re not. 

• Like 3

The management of Manx Radio, and to an extent every single employee, should be ashamed of themselves making a loss, especially considering the level of subvention.

But in this day and age lots of companies make losses and the directors still get hugely paid, don't they, so hey, what's the problem, we'll just keep swaggering around as if it is normal to be part of such an expensive loss making (ie failing) organisation?

• Thanks 1