Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

The second Tynwald report is out. Interesting to read the BBC spin on the conclusions. Apparently "UK tax payers" will pay for Manx Radio but that is not what the report says it states: "We conclude that there remains a significant shortfall between the amount contributed by Manx residents to the BBC through the licence fee, and the amount invested by the BBC in services to Manx residents. The estimate of £1 million per year calculated by our predecessors in 2010 remains credible. Since then the Communications Commission has estimated the shortfall at £700,000 per year and Manx Radio has estimated it at between £896,000 and £1,760,000 per year." and  "We conclude that it is unreasonable for the Manx public to be paying twice for public service broadcasting." i.e. licence fee and manx taxes. I have put the final conclusion below (option d seems interesting and may explain the spin)!

That the Council of Ministers should pursue negotiations with the UK Government and the BBC aimed at securing one of the following outcomes:

(a) as a first preference, an increase in financial support for Radio Manx Limited sufficient to allow the station to provide high quality public service radio broadcasting (and other public service media provision) without the need for cross-subsidy from commercial income and without substantial financial support from the Isle of Man Government; or

(b) as a second preference, for the BBC to supply high quality locally produced news and other public service content for broadcast (and for distribution via other media) by Radio Manx Limited, on a scale and to the extent that Radio Manx Limited could thereby fulfil its public service remit without the need for cross-subsidy from commercial income and without significant financial support from the Isle of Man Government; or

(c) as a third preference, the establishment of a BBC radio station for the Isle of Man similar to those operating in Jersey and Guernsey, allowing the public service broadcasting obligations of Radio Manx Limited to be dismantled and the associated public financial support to be removed; or

(d) as a final fallback option, the release of Isle of Man residents from any obligation to pay the licence fee and at the same time the release of the BBC from any obligation to provide services to the Island on a licence fee basis. This option would keep some £4.8 million per year in the Island and would allow the Island to exercise for the first time true self-determination in relation to public service broadcasting.

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs
remove page number

15 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

The second Tynwald report is out. Interesting to read the BBC spin on the conclusions. Apparently "UK tax payers" will pay for Manx Radio but that is not what the report says it states: "We conclude that there remains a significant shortfall between the amount contributed by Manx residents to the BBC through the licence fee, and the amount invested by the BBC in services to Manx residents. The estimate of £1 million per year calculated by our predecessors in 2010 remains credible. Since then the Communications Commission has estimated the shortfall at £700,000 per year and Manx Radio has estimated it at between £896,000 and £1,760,000 per year." and  "We conclude that it is unreasonable for the Manx public to be paying twice for public service broadcasting." i.e. licence fee and manx taxes. I have put the final conclusion below (option d seems interesting and may explain the spin)!

the bbc pay the local radio element to iomg.....

just because manx radio is unable to keep to the budget why should the beeb pay......

(i.e. uk licence fee payers)

it already costs the bbc more than they receive to provide services to the rock- i can see (and have read in a bbc report) the beeb will just pull the plug......

still sky's cheap......

33 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

................yes option, 'd', sounds the best imo......

33 minutes ago, WTF said:

is option 'd'  close down MR and watch BBC instead ?  winner.

It was scrap the licence fee. Probably wouldn't be able to get the BBC after that 

30 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

..........I thought it said ,'release iom from obligation of paying licence fee'. ......maybe I got it wrong...........it was the iniquity of paying for a licence to the UK that I think is wrong!............

It did. I doubt this will go through I'm guessing the council of ministers will amend everything after the words "That Tynwald receive these reports"

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

..........I thought it said ,'release iom from obligation of paying licence fee'. ......maybe I got it wrong...........it was the iniquity of paying for a licence to the UK that I think is wrong!............

These Tynwald people want to take away my access to BBC 1, 2, 4, football commentaries on 5 live, 6 music, the website, international news etc.  So that Manx Radio is a little less shit?

10 minutes ago, Declan said:

These Tynwald people want to take away my access to BBC 1, 2, 4, football commentaries on 5 live, 6 music, the website, international news etc.  So that Manx Radio is a little less shit?

Absolute bollocks. ( and you know it )

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Declan said:

how can they?.........can they alter satellite transmissions too?............I know we were in the space race race, lol, but really..............

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

They don't. They made a one off payment a few years ago spread over a couple of years because we weren't getting included in UK broadband extension. 

wrong......

they have been paying the local radio element for years.....

its in hansard.......