Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

6 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

how can they?.........can they alter satellite transmissions too?............I know we were in the space race race, lol, but really..............

So I’d have to get Sky?

Couldn’t the BBC just tell Sky not to supply their channels to IOM customers?

In any case you don’t access iPlayer or Radio or the website via satellite. 

Here's an idea. Shut down Manx Radio and spend the money on improving BBC Radio 3 coverage. It's one of the few remaining old fashioned (broadcast) radio stations which is actually intelligent.

Also shut down 3FM and Energy because they're really annoying in shops and offices. BBC Radios 1, 2 & 6 can go too as far as I'm concerned. And BBC 1 TV. Ahead of abolishing all of them and just providing links to the content.

Edited by pongo

5 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

.................interesting..........but I can happily exist without the BBC and no TV watching tax to the UK...........

That tax helps pay for the infrastructure which delivers non BBC services. And helps to pay for the investment and training which benefits the UK's media businesses in general. The independent production houses which benefit from BBC money also make non BBC output.

Also - that bandwidth which currently delivers TV and radio is currently made available at way under market price.

If the whole lot were switched of and privatised the BBC brand would not be the one which went out of business. The BBC is actually a solid brand. Can you imagine many of the ITV companies surviving? Or crappy local radio?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, woody2 said:

correct.....

No. The BBC services are delivered free to air via SES. Sky could take them off their EPG - but customers could still manually add the BBC services or just use a non Sky box. Provided a customer is within the footprint of the satellite they can receive the BBC.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, woody2 said:

wrong......

they have been paying the local radio element for years.....

its in hansard.......

no, I'm not....

they are paying for a local political reporter who has a show on Manx Radio but not the subvention that comes out of our taxes. Did you read the report and the rest of this thread.......

it isn't.......

• Like 1

BBC1 North West carried the story tonight but nothing on the local station yet.

i’m guessing we will wake up to Tim Glover interviewing Antony Pugh, in a totally unbiased management to management scripted conversation and stuff. Then Stu Peters rerunning it at lunchtime and carefully winding up his fan base to back the station with even more cash requests, and putting off other contributors with a different point of view on its future. Get Juan Turner and Ron Berry on the prog!

8 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Whatever happened about that story from a while back that Manx Radio were selling advertising much cheaper than their rivals, the insinuation being that they could do so because of the subvention?

They're not. They sell broadcasting over a 24 hour period on both FM and AM and 3FM don't sell adverts at night time. Therefore Manx Radio have a surplus of advertising space which means they can sell it cheaper. However, what it appears they are doing is selling the most expensive advertising at the times people actually listen which just happens to be the bit the government pays for i.e. the morning news and talk programmes. It seems they are leveraging the government funding to maximise profits because as RAJAR figures show no-one is listening at any other time.