Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

2 hours ago, Neil Down said:

As none of my comments are aimed at you, why do you feel the need to speak on behalf of Teapot? He's the one that wants unequivocal proof

What 'unequivocal proof' are you on about here? I simply asked what had happened to a story that had emerged earlier this year that I thought was quite important as it showed on the surface some shitty practise, and possibly another reason to have very little sympathy for the woes of MR. Ham&eggs has posted explaining why he thinks the story was incorrect, and others have pointed out where the story came from. Helpful and useful discussion all round. Your own contributions however leave little doubt about your ability to take part in common human discourse, your reading and comprehension skills, your level of general intelligence and your mental state. Do yourself and everyone else a favour Neil and take a break for a while from being an absolute dickhead on every single thread.

Edited by TheTeapot

57 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

What 'unequivocal proof' are you on about here? I simply asked what had happened to a story that had emerged earlier this year that I thought was quite important as it showed on the surface some shitty practise, and possibly another reason to have very little sympathy for the woes of MR. Ham&eggs has posted explaining why he thinks the story was incorrect, and others have pointed out where the story came from. Helpful and useful discussion all round. Your own contributions however leave little doubt about your ability to take part in common human discourse, your reading and comprehension skills, your level of general intelligence and your mental state. Do yourself and everyone else a favour Neil and take a break for a while from being an absolute dickhead on every single thread.

So many words to say so very little. It's been reasonably civilised on here for a while until you showed up again with the insults. As per normal, screaming like a big girl when somebody reacts to your insults. Good to see however you are commenting on other posters behalf. I must have missed the memo appointing you as forum spokestroll

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

I dont mind manx radio, happy to keep it as it is, happy to keep paying for it as long as we all can have a couple of hour slot with our own choice of music every couple of years or so. I choose judith lay with an hour and a half gabber techno, they can even throw a couple of adverts in.

stinky raving.........

ssssssssss.jpg.7d9123cff27eead2140067f758ffee6e.jpg

2 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

I dont mind manx radio, happy to keep it as it is, happy to keep paying for it as long as we all can have a couple of hour slot with our own choice of music every couple of years or so. I choose judith lay with an hour and a half gabber techno, they can even throw a couple of adverts in.

.................oh boy, she's got a fabulous voice!........

• Like 1

I heard Stu's prog today and it was very interesting. Stu isn't pulling any punches these days and says it as he sees it.

he made many very good points about Manx Radio and it's place in our society.

Charles Guard's piece was fantastic too (as always) Clever man who is very patriotic and spoke total sense. He has been in the business long enough to know the score

and everything he said about the station and the island was spot on.

We need people like him in government instead of the limp wristed wasters we seem to have now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I heard Stu's prog today and it was very interesting. Stu isn't pulling any punches these days and says it as he sees it.

Charles Guard's piece was fantastic too (as always) Clever man who is very patriotic and spoke total sense. He has been in the business long enough to know the score

We need people like him in government instead of the limp wristed wasters we seem to have now.

did he say what a waste of money it is......

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Charles Guard has a vested interest in that he is on the board. I know you like Manx Radio but Charles Guard seems to have missed the point on this one or like the BBC is in full spin mode. Let me ask you is it acceptable that the Manx population should pay twice for public service broadcasting through taxes and the tv licence fee? Forget nostalgia for a second and think about this Jersey and Guernsey both have a fully paid up radio station from their licence fee. There are BBC local radio stations throughout the UK. S4C, a commercial operation, gets in part subsidised by the licence fee. So why should the BBC not give the money to fund Manx Radio? 

As for his the state interference  bit the Treasury owns the radio station already and according to Manx Radio's evidence it doesn't give it enough cash. What the committee seem to be saying is the communication commission set the format for the radio station, Manx Radio say how much it'll cost for them to produce it then the treasury say how much they are willing to give. They then sit down together and discuss it if the figures don't match. Seems to make sense to me on the face of it although the treasury are unlikely ever to give it more cash if they ask for it (and they have for years been asking for it).

17 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Charles Guard has a vested interest in that he is on the board. I know you like Manx Radio but Charles Guard seems to have missed the point on this one or like the BBC is in full spin mode. Let me ask you is it acceptable that the Manx population should pay twice for public service broadcasting through taxes and the tv licence fee? Forget nostalgia for a second and think about this Jersey and Guernsey both have a fully paid up radio station from their licence fee. There are BBC local radio stations throughout the UK. S4C, a commercial operation, gets in part subsidised by the licence fee. So why should the BBC not give the money to fund Manx Radio? 

As for his the state interference  bit the Treasury owns the radio station already and according to Manx Radio's evidence it doesn't give it enough cash. What the committee seem to be saying is the communication commission set the format for the radio station, Manx Radio say how much it'll cost for them to produce it then the treasury say how much they are willing to give. They then sit down together and discuss it if the figures don't match. Seems to make sense to me on the face of it although the treasury are unlikely ever to give it more cash if they ask for it (and they have for years been asking for it).

I would guess that like me, most locals don't want some shitty BBC "local" station.

I also don't get this paying twice bit.

You pay for your TV licence for your tv and get some radio thrown in.

We pay IOM tax, a bit of which goes to ensure we have one decent radio station catering to more than the teenagers.

We also get back a few bob from the BBC ( I believe) because they don't provide local stuff. That goes into the general coffers.

What is not to like. If you are over 25, the other two "stations" are crap. ( most under 25s usually play their own music through their iphones and the like anyway.)

• Thanks 1