Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

3 hours ago, Gagster said:

Charles Guard made no mention of the over spending at Manx Radio.  The Myers report identified a number if areas for improvement, all of which were ignored. 

From his own website:

https://celticlife.com/charles-guard/

All these activities would have been my hobbies if I had simply worked in a dull job. However, as it turned out, they were what I was paid to do.

There is a lot of good at Manx Radio, but the model is broken. The good - the ones who are doing it because it needs to be done and the Island is better for it - will survive, however this ends up. The BBC won't import people from the UK, they'll employ the best locally. Some of these voices you already know. All of the managers in the background who you don't already know, you won't miss.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I would guess that like me, most locals don't want some shitty BBC "local" station.

I also don't get this paying twice bit.

You pay for your TV licence for your tv and get some radio thrown in.

We pay IOM tax, a bit of which goes to ensure we have one decent radio station catering to more than the teenagers.

We also get back a few bob from the BBC ( I believe) because they don't provide local stuff. That goes into the general coffers.

What is not to like. If you are over 25, the other two "stations" are crap. ( most under 25s usually play their own music through their iphones and the like anyway.)

wales, scotland and ni govs also pay for separately for local services, it doesn't all come from the bbc.....

On 11/8/2018 at 8:35 PM, Declan said:

So I’d have to get Sky?

Couldn’t the BBC just tell Sky not to supply their channels to IOM customers?

In any case you don’t access iPlayer or Radio or the website via satellite. 

On 11/8/2018 at 8:52 PM, pongo said:

No. The BBC services are delivered free to air via SES. Sky could take them off their EPG - but customers could still manually add the BBC services or just use a non Sky box. Provided a customer is within the footprint of the satellite they can receive the BBC.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:33 PM, doc.fixit said:

...............? don't understand your comment, don't need sky, I have freesat and freeview..............and would'nt miss BBC propaganda..........

having looked into this....

if the iom stopped paying the bbc....

freeview would go along with radio on fm.....

freesat wouldn't broadcast the bbc

sky would stop broadcasting bbc.....

sky don't pay the bbc because its covered by the licence fee, if the licence fee goes sky (along with other providers) they would have to pay the bbc for content......

has anyone seen the amount of other stuff which uses bbc gear both on and off island.....

:o

The more I think it about it the more I realise what a peripheral institution Manx Radio has been in my life. When I was younger I assumed it was for older people but now I’m old it still doesn’t. I just have to accept I’m not part of the clique that Manx Radio is produced for.

I’ve always been kind of ok with it getting a subvention. Just because I don’t get something from it others must. It’s handy to have if there’s a snow day or an election night. Although John Moss’s headless chicken act has made the net a more reliable source in bad weather. 

I really do object to money being taken from the BBC where it will be put to some use and handed to the clique. 

the list of stuff iomg would have to replace or lose.....

10 tv transmitters......
dab would cease.....
bbc radio would cease.....

many masts and equipment buildings holding not only tv aerials and transmitters....

all 3 manx local radio stations......

communications division.......

manx telecom and sure mobile systems would be removed......

sky would disable all sky receiver boxes registered on the Island......

carnane douglas transmitter site would be dismantled and the mast removed in order to reduce their operational overheads. a key location for all 3 manx local radio stations would become unavailable......

#nuts

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Charles Guard has a vested interest in that he is on the board. I know you like Manx Radio but Charles Guard seems to have missed the point on this one or like the BBC is in full spin mode. Let me ask you is it acceptable that the Manx population should pay twice for public service broadcasting through taxes and the tv licence fee? Forget nostalgia for a second and think about this Jersey and Guernsey both have a fully paid up radio station from their licence fee. There are BBC local radio stations throughout the UK. S4C, a commercial operation, gets in part subsidised by the licence fee. So why should the BBC not give the money to fund Manx Radio? 

As for his the state interference  bit the Treasury owns the radio station already and according to Manx Radio's evidence it doesn't give it enough cash. What the committee seem to be saying is the communication commission set the format for the radio station, Manx Radio say how much it'll cost for them to produce it then the treasury say how much they are willing to give. They then sit down together and discuss it if the figures don't match. Seems to make sense to me on the face of it although the treasury are unlikely ever to give it more cash if they ask for it (and they have for years been asking for it).

How about manx radio just stop doing adverts, if it is a national radion station, funded by the tax payers, ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Declan said:

The more I think it about it the more I realise what a peripheral institution Manx Radio has been in my life. When I was younger I assumed it was for older people but now I’m old it still doesn’t. I just have to accept I’m not part of the clique that Manx Radio is produced for.

I’ve always been kind of ok with it getting a subvention. Just because I don’t get something from it others must. It’s handy to have if there’s a snow day or an election night. Although John Moss’s headless chicken act has made the net a more reliable source in bad weather. 

I really do object to money being taken from the BBC where it will be put to some use and handed to the clique. 

Same experience for most people I’d say. Another good idea that IOMG ruined by getting involved with something that should always have been 100% commercial and then when that goes wrong not letting it be commercial and live or die without interference as they can’t be seen to let anything they are linked to fail. Now it’s the radio equivalent of the horse trams - a sad Manx relic plodding the airwaves clogging up useful space that could be used by something relevant to real lives we live in the 21st Century. 

MR must have been a great idea after the Radio Caroline debacle and the legitimization / commercialization of what were pirate radio stations and at the time, of course, MR was ultimately clearly singled out as another thing our wonderful civil servants thought could they could latch on to in order make the Island ‘millions’ in the ensuing radio boom of the 60s and the 70s. Of course it was a bit revolutionary too this unchecked speaking to the public thing so the content had to ultimately be controlled and monitored by civil servants too. Then when is all looks like it might take off and make a few quid they all step in and over manage it, over regulate it, and bring in layer after expensive layer of management, and management checkers, and management checking legislation, on top of it and it became the IOM equivalent of TASS but still it kept a fair few people in a very nice living for a long time no matter how rubbish they were. It’s almost the perfect case study (like the trams, trains, boats, buses etc) of why government should have absolutely nothing to do with any commercial enterprise as they always ruin absolutely everything they touch to keep themselves in jobs. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 3