Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Fair comment hboy, but lots do like and do listen to it.

I rarely trouble the NHS but have to pay for it - is it really that different.

I don't know next time you are mangled in a car accident or have a heart attack pop on a bit of Status Quo and see if it helps.

• Like 2

surely you would not object to a couple of million from the BBC coming into the Island economy each year? Can we at least agree

No I would much prefer to see the BBC gradually being set free. It has a fantastic reputation internationally and could be a great international commercial brand competing with Netflix, Amazon etc. Meanwhile I certainly don't believe that the state today should be in the business of providing light entertainment and tin-pot local radio.

With respect to producing local news and current affairs on the IOM I believe that an independent production company could do the job. Online only would be adequate at worst but potentially much better. It doesn't need "a couple of million".

The BBC could not survive entirely in the commercial world off the licence payer teat. Totally the wrong ethos. To be fair, I wouldn't like to see advertising on it either. It's just the metropolitan liberal bias I despise.

The BBC could not survive entirely in the commercial world off the licence payer teat. Totally the wrong ethos. To be fair, I wouldn't like to see advertising on it either. It's just the metropolitan liberal bias I despise.

A more tightly focused BBC has the potential to survive perfectly well as an online only international subscription brand. It's a hugely respected brand internationally. It doesn't need to be doing pop music or local radio anymore. Or the Pools results. The best of the existing radio service could survive perfectly well via corporate sponsorship. The channel model is redundant - it doesn't need channels, only great content under categories. And without channels it would no longer need to fund channel filler, daytime crap etc.

That "metropolitan liberal bias" is in your head.

• Like 1

A more tightly focused BBC has the potential to survive perfectly well as an online only international subscription brand. It's a hugely respected brand internationally. It doesn't need to be doing pop music or local radio anymore. Or the Pools results. The best of the existing radio service could survive perfectly well via corporate sponsorship. The channel model is redundant - it doesn't need channels, only great content under categories. And without channels it would no longer need to fund channel filler, daytime crap etc.

That "metropolitan liberal bias" is in your head.

I think you have a better argument re television because television is a sit, watch and do nothing else medium that lends itself well to on demand. Radio doesn't because it's something you reach for when you are doing other things. It's easy, instant and much of the interesting content on radio, whether speech or music, just comes at you while you are otherwise engaged. You don't know you want to hear it in advance but you enjoy it when you do. That's the essence and it doesn't work as on demand content - by definition there is no "demand" in advance.

The metropolitan liberal bias is real. I post examples of it regularly.

• Like 2

It's your them-and-us perception of a metropolitan liberal bias which you seem to post about. It often seems closer to 'common sense' than to fact based 'reasoned sense'. It parallels your rejection the establishment - as if establishment and structure were a bad thing.

It's your them-and-us perception of a metropolitan liberal bias which you seem to post about. It often seems closer to 'common sense' than to fact based 'reasoned sense'. It parallels your rejection the establishment - as if establishment and structure were a bad thing.

No. Its direction of travel for several decades has been the bad thing. An out of touch elite who think they know best what everyone else should think and a large disaffected section of the population who reject that.

• Like 1

The BBC opening up in Scotland is simply a land grab before the inevitable referendum and the Scots leaving the UK. They need to keep those juicy licence fees rolling in from north of the border.

They could not care less about the Isle of Man. Which is why they ignore all the begging letters from the government. Take it, or leave it.

The BBC opening up in Scotland is simply a land grab before the inevitable referendum and the Scots leaving the UK. They need to keep those juicy licence fees rolling in from north of the border.

They could not care less about the Isle of Man. Which is why they ignore all the begging letters from the government. Take it, or leave it.

Scotland will not leave the UK. The SNP would like to but the SNP is not Scotland. Scots are not stupid. They know when they are well off with the shedloads of cash heading north from England. Without it they are stuffed.

As for the IoM, the BBC has asked us what we want them to do. Time to tell them if they have the cheque book out.

Isn't it the case that Tynwald actually prefer to keep Manx Radio and not involve the BBC but not prepared to ask for a rebate?

On one side, the BBC is meant to provide the same service to all license fee payers. The IOM is the only part of Britain without BBC local radio (I think even the Isles of Scilly have a Radio Cornwall transmitter!).

The IOM is the only part of Britain that does not fall into a BBC local radio editorial coverage area. I've never understood how the BBC are able to get away with this.

If Tynwald aren't bothered by this and prefer Manx Radio to be the public service broadcaster, they should have the guts to go to the BBC and say: "a proportion of licence fee money collected (2.6%) is assigned within BBC budgets to local radio - so the proportion collected here either needs to fund some sort of BBC local radio service OR it is used by us (Tynwald) to fund parts of Manx Radio."

So - 35,000 households on IOM, £145 licence fee due from each (assuming they all have TV receiving equipment, but let's have that conversation in another thread!) = just over £5million. 2.6% of that is around £130k.

Now, £130k will not fund a full on BBC local radio service (eg. 'BBC Radio Mann') but it could be used to provide the local news and current affairs output of Manx Radio. So, James Davies, John Moss etc would still do the news but be employed by the BBC. The "cheesy pop" people like Williams, Brindley etc would still be employed by Manx Radio. It would basically sound the same, but funded differently.

So, Manx Radio is retained and BBC local budget utilised (rather than sent across and used for other projects). OR reduce the licence fee by 2.6% for IOM residents to account for the reduced service provided and we continue to 'go it alone' with Manx Radio. Tynwald needs to step up and make its choice. As it goes, £132k leaves the island each year, while Tynwald continues to argue about funding Manx Radio!

In terms of the NHS analogy, it too is a service provided to all and paid for by all. Whether you use it or not is a different matter. In reality, those of us healthy enough to never use it are lucky - but the time will come, maybe when we're much older, when we do actually use it. Continuing with the analogy - what if A&E at Nobles was funded by Tynwald and not the NHS, we would not accept that. If the NHS said "hey Tynwald, we really like what you're doing there, so we'll keep the A&E budget set aside for the IOM and use it for other projects".

Edited by Gagster
  • Like 1

utter rubbish

if you bothered to check, manx radio already receives funding from the bbc...

• Like 1

Fair comment hboy, but lots do like and do listen to it.

I rarely trouble the NHS but have to pay for it - is it really that different.

I don't know next time you are mangled in a car accident or have a heart attack pop on a bit of Status Quo and see if it helps.

I see WHAT YOU'RE PROPOSING there, j2bad.

Licence fee receipts for public sector broadcasting do not have to go to the BBC, they already go to Channel 4 in the UK

There is a new scheme starting up in the UK in 2018 to allow folks to apply for public sector broadcasting grants, but why we should have to wait for this I do not know