Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

2 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Phil Gawne (not an official Manx Radio presenter as yet?) is a pantomime manxman. Squeakin' and drawlin' along as he goes.

The lad Kinley is veering towards the shouty pantomime manx too.

But Phil is probably one of, or the best Manx speaker over here. 

11 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Phil Gawne (not an official Manx Radio presenter as yet?) is a pantomime manxman. Squeakin' and drawlin' along as he goes.

Completely agree. He’s pretty much a cartoon character. Like those cartoonish short bread tin scots who go to the footy pissed up in their ginger wigs and tartan hats because they’re so stereotypically scooooooootish! He’s a complete imposter. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I've answered a couple of anonymous texts over the 10 years of presenting Talking Heads telling me off for not playing more Manx music. I've made the point that in my personal opinion good music will always get airtime, and that simply being from a Manx musician shouldn't guarantee anything. And again a personal observation is that 95% of new records released around the world every week are tosh destined for instant obscurity. Anyone with a laptop can make an album these days for next to nothing - I've got a £60 DAW package on my laptop that is 1000 times more powerful than my old pro 16-track studio in Salford that probably cost £50,000 to build and equip. Which means there's vastly more recorded music, but no financial or quality filters on what's coming out.

Manx Radio features more Manx music than anyone. To some it will never be enough. To others, it will always be too much.

The point though is that, although with rare exceptions, Manx music probably won’t match the best that professional musicians with years of experience, expensive studios and the top engineers and producers on hand. 

But then,  Corinthians vs Gymns isn’t Liverpool vs City either, Rob Callister is no Nelson Mandela and you’re not Danny Baker. You treat the TT  as if it’s Wimbledon or the Ryder Cup even though it’s mostly a bunch of hobbyists on their two week holiday.   You do all this because of the local interest.  

Why hold music to a different standard?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

So what?
If he wants to crawl into some shady corner of some country pub chatting away in a dead language then fair enough, that's up to him. But quite frankly the hero worship points for that from me are nul point.

No one has a monopoly on being 'Manx', least of all PG.

His place is on the Young Farmers stage, with all his false stutterin' an' squeakin' an' stammerin' an' whinin' an' winnying an' coy bashfulness etc. At least then it is possibly amusing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gettafa said:
54 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

So what?
If he wants to crawl into some shady corner of some country pub chatting away in a dead language then fair enough, that's up to him. But quite frankly the hero worship points for that from me are nul point.

No one has a monopoly on being 'Manx', least of all PG.

His place is on the Young Farmers stage, with all his false stutterin' an' squeakin' an' stammerin' an' whinin' an' winnying an' coy bashfulness etc. At least then it is possibly amusing.

That is your opinion. Others just tell the truth.

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

Not that MR was going then or you were even born.

Did you never hear Geoff Cannell, Peter Kneale. Roger Watterson,Loise Quirk, Phil Gawne, Juan Gawne, David Callister, Chris Kinley, and dozens of others ?

Most of the moaners , like you, are not even Manx in the first place.

There's a word in the dictionary called "hyperbole". Please look it up.