Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, parchedpeas said:

I couldn't quite believe my ears this afternoon. I listened for 40 minutes and heard more Britney Spears than I heard 'talking' about the subject. When the email was read out, there was little context given for the listener to understand what it was referencing and then Stu was obviously compromised by the topic - because it's the station and he has to support it - and the interview in question - because he was implicated in parts of it (very unprofessionally by both Charles and Paul, I might add) - so he wasn't able to give a full answer or to use the email as an opportunity to talk up the subject again. If it's not possible to discuss the future of the station because of supposed "impartiality", then don't do it as a subject!

The "impartiality" thing is a fig-leave anyway - all that is required is a variety of views across the station, across the week. In the PM interview, Charles Guard suggested that impartiality meant that NO opinions could be expressed without people being suspended, but that is plainly untrue. All that is required is that all angles are given an opportunity across the schedule.

I'm not impartial and never claim to be. I'm not in the newsroom any more where that is a fundamental requirement. What I DO aim for is fairness and human decency in allowing dissenting views to be heard and providing some form of balance when necessary. I read WKRAP's email in full but refused to be drawn further for his vexatious amusement, and because I've always thought it foolish to give ammunition to MR-haters. In terms of giving short shrift to anyone suggesting MR should suffer for the benefit of the other stations, yep, guilty as charged. There is zero evidence that they could do things they're not doing now any better than MR is currently doing, and it would no doubt cost just as much for the taxpayer - so the only motives I can see revolve around malcontents with dull axes.

I'll admit I expected more business on the topic, but I think people are fed up of it by now. To PP's point about context, if I restated the topic in full every time I returned to it, it would be exceptionally tedious for people who listen to the whole hour (or two). And I suspect few listeners have seen the video in question - I only became aware of it on MF.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I'm not impartial and never claim to be. I'm not in the newsroom any more where that is a fundamental requirement. What I DO aim for is fairness and human decency in allowing dissenting views to be heard and providing some form of balance when necessary. I read WKRAP's email in full but refused to be drawn further for his vexatious amusement, and because I've always thought it foolish to give ammunition to MR-haters. In terms of giving short shrift to anyone suggesting MR should suffer for the benefit of the other stations, yep, guilty as charged. There is zero evidence that they could do things they're not doing now any better than MR is currently doing, and it would no doubt cost just as much for the taxpayer - so the only motives I can see revolve around malcontents with dull axes.

I'll admit I expected more business on the topic, but I think people are fed up of it by now. To PP's point about context, if I restated the topic in full every time I returned to it, it would be exceptionally tedious for people who listen to the whole hour (or two). And I suspect few listeners have seen the video in question - I only became aware of it on MF.

Well said SP. They are only jealous. I would pay double our tax to keep things like Manx Radio, MER MNH etc alive. Some very sad people live here now and that is depressing.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Well said SP. They are only jealous. I would pay double our tax to keep things like Manx Radio, MER MNH etc alive. Some very sad people live here now and that is depressing.

You could help cash-strapped Manx Radio by agreeing to sponsor a programme - they have an excellent commercial sales department I believe if you would like to pursue this.

Similarly you can donate funds to the likes of Friends of MNH as I know they would really appreciate this kind of offer of financial help.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Twitch said:

You could help cash-strapped Manx Radio by agreeing to sponsor a programme - they have an excellent commercial sales department I believe if you would like to pursue this.

Similarly you can donate funds to the likes of Friends of MNH as I know they would really appreciate this kind of offer of financial help.

I do. but thanks for checking.

• Like 1

I also subscribe to this forum (only£20) but so many of you posters don't. Why is that.???

Look at the most frequent posters and see if any pay one £1 toward the running of this forum.

Paying my £20 entitles me to nothing. I get banned quite often, but at least I know that somewhere my £20 is of some use and helps to keep this board going.

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

Would you mind awfully paying quadruple then to cover what I don’t want to pay. Thank you

23 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I also subscribe to this forum (only£20) but so many of you posters don't. Why is that.???

Look at the most frequent posters and see if any pay one £1 toward the running of this forum.

Paying my £20 entitles me to nothing. I get banned quite often, but at least I know that somewhere my £20 is of some use and helps to keep this board going.

Just try paying subs. It’s nigh on impossible

• Thanks 1

Just now, WTF said:
2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

. I would pay double our tax to keep things like Manx Radio, MER MNH etc alive. 

careful what you wish for.

I genuinely would though.

Once our heritage has been eroded, we have next to fuck all. We will then be no different to the bigger island across the water.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I genuinely would though.

Once our heritage has been eroded, we have next to fuck all. We will then be no different to the bigger island across the water.

So there is a light at the end of the tunnel then... :flowers:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2