Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Being a regular Mandate listener in the morning I’m just staggered by the amount of commercials the music service has had this week with the programme off air until next year. Seems it’s one record then one very long commercial break.

Is this because they are having to play both AM and FM ads?

4 hours ago, WKRP said:

Being a regular Mandate listener in the morning I’m just staggered by the amount of commercials the music service has had this week with the programme off air until next year. Seems it’s one record then one very long commercial break.

Is this because they are having to play both AM and FM ads?

Time the ad time in an hour. There are regulations that govern this. 

Well, I think I was trying to counter the besmirching* of his character in the IM1 thing, when it was suggested that the second part of the call-in show was asking the question:

/lancashire accent "Do fat lasses swet more?" /lancashire accent off

*but probably accurate!

Edited by gettafa

Going by his 'likes'' on Mf. I don't think he needs any in infatuous support or misplaced 'respect'.

In journalism. it is common to refer to someone by their Christian Name and their surname in the first instance, thereafter, their surname will suffice. Does Stu P. deserve any more than that? If so. why?

I don't know what IM1 is but if Stu is getting a beating on there that does not mean you should be bending your knee to him on here, which may have a different attitude to his posts.

No one deserves respect, it has to be earned!

On 12/28/2018 at 11:01 PM, Gizo said:

Time the ad time in an hour. There are regulations that govern this. 

Where in the Ofcom broadcast code does it state restrictions on commercial loading?  Genuine question as I can't find anything.

10 hours ago, overCome said:

Where in the Ofcom broadcast code does it state restrictions on commercial loading?  Genuine question as I can't find anything.

There doesn't seem to be one according to this comparatively recent discussion on DigitalSpy.  Someone suggested there was a maximum of 9 minutes an hour till the late 90s, though that may have been more 'industry standard' than legal rules, as it was thought any more would drive away listeners.  But some stations now run with up to 17 minutes or so.  There are still fairly strict OFCOM rules for television.

Presumably the Communications Commission on the Island could set its own rules in any case, though the usual practice is just to copy whatever happens in the UK as 'best practice', though there is some legal overlap as well.

• Like 2

It's certainly the volume and inanity of the commercial content that has me switching off. I will put up with them if Stu is on for the most part, but other than that I tune out. As soon as they start I know that there is 3 minutes of loud, raucous, utter tripe coming up, so off it goes onto another station, or just off. They even precede the news at the top of each hour (Shoprite?) and impinge between the local and world news. It isn't just the "real" commercials. There are sponsored programmes too. They all seem to be "brought to you by" someone, and "specials" - presented as though they are treating us - Whoopee! Even the bloody death announcements are sponsored. There is simply no getting away from it.

At one time, if you tuned in late at night you would be spared the onslaught. Not any more. The interminable drivel goes on around the clock seemingly. It is an insult to the intelligence of the listener, frankly.

Manx Radio must dump loads of commercials overnight, I think 3FM stop at 9pm.

All those MR advertisers get told how many commercials they will get for their money probably don’t realise that many are going out at 4AM in a repeat of loose woman!

PS.. Is mandate back yet? Can’t be bothered to turn the radio back to Manx until it does.

Yes it is back.

I have the radio set to 7:15 to hear the presenter chatting to the DJ who is on then about what is coming up on Mandate. But it was yon lass and all she does is purr sweet nothings at him and he purrs similar back. It's most off putting.