Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

2 hours ago, Declan said:

That point of view requires the BBC to have a corporate strategy for the Isle of Man and for someone in the management structure to think “they don’t have a radio station, the website’s shit, and we’re getting a bit of flack. I know let’s create the roll of Local Democracy reporter to shut them up.”

Does the BBC have a corporate strategy for UK town councils?

15 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

It would be amazing if there were not one. 

Well maybe HH was right. I guess that statistically she had to be right about something and as there’s no evidence that she was correct about anything else, that must be it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

I might be completely off the wall here (or off my rocker more like) but donkeys ago didn’t Hazel Hannan have a bee in her bonnet that there was an MI5 mole in the upper echelon of our civil service?

I sometimes wonder about in our current House of Keys, CoMin even..

41 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I sometimes wonder about in our current House of Keys, CoMin even..

Hang on...MI5 would need confidence that their mole could actually fasten their own shoelaces.

31 minutes ago, joebean said:

The mind-numbing and repetitive adverts on local radio (no, I do not get my insurance from Ross Gower, and thanks to your advert, I never will do), which are equally poor across the 3 stations, provide me with the incentive to tune into Radio 2.

Indeed. I have no great problem with MR (although the news pages on their website are often amateurish)...except for those fucking adverts. They seem to be tailored for/aimed at people with a mental age of six. They’ve been so shit for so long that presumably they work, or the emphasis would change; that’s a very disturbing indicator of the MR listenership. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uhtred said:

I might be completely off the wall here (or off my rocker more like) but donkeys ago didn’t Hazel Hannan have a bee in her bonnet that there was an MI5 mole in the upper echelon of our civil service?

Maybe that’s what Longworth does three days a week. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Hang on...MI5 would need confidence that their mole could actually fasten their own shoelaces.

Why would they need a mole? The FUBAR propositions, gaffes and subsequent attempts at keeping things quiet are a matter of public and journalistic record for years. Hardly a matter requiring any undercover digging. Just read the papers and log on to MF :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, joebean said:

The mind-numbing and repetitive adverts on local radio (no, I do not get my insurance from Ross Gower, and thanks to your advert, I never will do), which are equally poor across the 3 stations, provide me with the incentive to tune into Radio 2.

Isn't this an example of where MR should step in and advise their clients.? Singing phone numbers are crass, don't do them?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Yes, I always turn off at 2.00pm after new, it is mind numbing, even Brindleys music was better.

I liked the post earlier in the thread where someone called it "Loose Women". :D

Not sure what he was basing that on.

Are they telling us the ratings have improved in that slot from 2 - 3pm? If so, Alex, hang your head in shame. It is awful.

Edited by woolley

2 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Indeed. I have no great problem with MR (although the news pages on their website are often amateurish)...except for those fucking adverts. They seem to be tailored for/aimed at people with a mental age of six. They’ve been so shit for so long that presumably they work, or the emphasis would change; that’s a very disturbing indicator of the MR listenership. 

I'm not sure that they do work, actually. We have spent millions on advertising spread across multiple media, radio, printed page, internet etc. for a very long time. With traditional advertising, it is actually very difficult to know what is working for you unless you stop it to see what you lose. Often you simply carry on doing what you have been doing for years because you have budgeted for it and you fear what might happen if you don't.

3 hours ago, joebean said:

Hate the adverts and there are several which are so dire that I too would make a point never to go anywhere near the company that is assaulting my ears. My pet hates are the shouty ones, particularly the one which is set up as the announcement introducing a boxing match. Man with a big gob and a baying crowd in the background. "I give you........ "  Can't even remember who it is advertising. Good!

Radio 2 isn't what it was either. Full of overpaid egos. Steve Wright and his inane prattle is as bad as the MR ads. I often resort to my own collections for music listening nowadays or some of the excellent internet stations. If I want to listen to people nattering about bugger all I can just turn the radio off and open my office door!

• Like 1