Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

5 hours ago, Max Power said:

What I was trying to say was that MR was once the only radio station on the island, now that there are three they have only lost approx 25% of their listeners? The fact that there are three is bound to affect advertising revenues too? 

It's a wonder it's only 25% given the amount of time that Phil Gawne's on the air.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But if you look at the figures quoted, they've lost nearly half of their listening.  So not only are fewer people listening at all, but those that do tune in to Manx Radio sometimes, do so for fewer hours.  So at any one time there will be on average about half the people listening that there were about 15 years ago, and that's likely to effect advertising rates. 

I suspect that as well as the effect of 3FM and Energy in the local market, they've actually been hit more by streaming and the availability of so many more stations as well as services such as Spotify

I think we have to consider the worth or value of Manx Radio too, irrespective of listening hours. I wouldn't want to miss morning Mandate (although I have to confess to sleeping through most of it these days but I'm not sure if that is to do with the content or to do with my sleeping habit).

And for me,  the Folk show I enjoy and the Sunday Manxie thingy too. Oh, and Cringle's History Man feature is a must. And go on then, Talking Heads is often good value.

3fm and the other one, I know nothing of. But I suppose I have to admit that I must fit the MR main demographic. (Jeez, where did those years go).  

/introspection

Edited by gettafa

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

I have to confess to sleeping through most of it these days

I suppose I have to admit that I must fit the MR main demographic. (Jeez, where did those years go). 

Those two bits (cruelly edited, I confess) made me chuckle.

Perhaps they should be playing more Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald and Joe Loss. :)

• Like 1

I was up and about early for a meeting over breakfast this morning. About 6.35am I switched MR on. Don't often do so at that time, but it's been bloody cold overnight, so I thought they might carry some travel info, road conditions etc. No such luck. Not even so much as a time check in about 20 minutes before I had to leave. I did however get 2 solid 3 minute blocks of inane adverts (a third of the time it was on), something that got to number 35 in the charts in 1987 from tea chest C in the cupboard under the stairs, and the chance to win "the national dish" - chips, cheese and gravy at Port Jack Chippy. Well!

I'm not having a go at Chris W. He is a jolly chap and a good broadcaster. He can only follow the format he's been told to work to. But would it not be more useful on what is supposed to be a public service broadcast, to acknowledge the existence of the real world outside as people are starting to get up and move about? You know, at least every 15 minutes at that time of the day, advise if there are icy patches, any road closures, whether the boat is going on time, any flight delays etc? I know I could go online, which I did in the end, but doesn't that defeat the object of the radio service? I think we are paying for a good local service. It should be there to keep us in the loop every time we switch on.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, woolley said:

I was up and about early for a meeting over breakfast this morning. About 6.35am I switched MR on. Don't often do so at that time, but it's been bloody cold overnight, so I thought they might carry some travel info, road conditions etc. No such luck. Not even so much as a time check in about 20 minutes before I had to leave. I did however get 2 solid 3 minute blocks of inane adverts (a third of the time it was on), something that got to number 35 in the charts in 1987 from tea chest C in the cupboard under the stairs, and the chance to win "the national dish" - chips, cheese and gravy at Port Jack Chippy. Well!

I'm not having a go at Chris W. He is a jolly chap and a good broadcaster. He can only follow the format he's been told to work to. But would it not be more useful on what is supposed to be a public service broadcast, to acknowledge the existence of the real world outside as people are starting to get up and move about? You know, at least every 15 minutes at that time of the day, advise if there are icy patches, any road closures, whether the boat is going on time, any flight delays etc? I know I could go online, which I did in the end, but doesn't that defeat the object of the radio service? I think we are paying for a good local service. It should be there to keep us in the loop every time we switch on.

Thanks Woolley as a non listener this is quite damning for a breakfast show, every breakfast show in the world repeatedly reports at least weather, travel info every 20 odd minutes. As a 10 minute radio listener in the car each day, tuned to energy they tell me weather, travel info for road, sea and air. Not bad for a non state funded station, and it’ll play a modern tune too. It’s not hard to do. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, woody2 said:

Everyone avoids me like a psyched Lone Ranger

This line is frequently misheard as “psycho ranger”, and is often disputed to actually be psyched lone ranger. The published lyrics on the album releases read “cyclone ranger”, but this has never been publicly clarified.

The attribution of this lyric as a reference to the 1935 film Cyclone Ranger seems overly obscure and dubious at best, though a reference to the Lone Ranger seems equally out of place in a song about “turning Japanese”.

(from some lyrics website)

Edited by gettafa