Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

On 1/22/2019 at 4:26 PM, Stu Peters said:

I know that when I presented Mandate we had news at 7.30, 8.00 and 8.30am with a full live weather briefing at 8.10 and a couple of runs at traffic and travel, all within the hour that most people need that kind of information. There's a balance between too much of it and not enough, depending on your personal circumstances.

Stu,

I lived on the Isle of Man 2006-2008, and listened to you on Mandate everyday.  I had an iPod Classic with an FM attachment.  I remember the sequence well: intro, news, weather, travel and I think an in-depth top story.  There’d also generally be an ad for Ramsey Bakery too just before 8am.

As a newcomer, I listened to Manx Radio to learn a lot about Manx life very quickly.  It was useful, as I actually worked on 3FM at the time but always had a soft spot for Manx Radio.  With very limited TV news coverage I found Manx Radio to be useful and informative.  In real terms we were competing stations, but in my mind both stations were and continue to be quite different.

We had a bit of bother in 2007 with proposals for some disc-parking on the prom in Peel and we drummed up support to convince the commissioners to ditch the idea.  Along the way, Mr Ben Sowery came along and interviewed my wife at our house.  You played it out the next day, I think you namechecked her too!

Edited by DanLodge
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:04 AM, woolley said:

I was up and about early for a meeting over breakfast this morning. About 6.35am I switched MR on. Don't often do so at that time, but it's been bloody cold overnight, so I thought they might carry some travel info, road conditions etc. No such luck. Not even so much as a time check in about 20 minutes before I had to leave. I did however get 2 solid 3 minute blocks of inane adverts (a third of the time it was on), something that got to number 35 in the charts in 1987 from tea chest C in the cupboard under the stairs, and the chance to win "the national dish" - chips, cheese and gravy at Port Jack Chippy. Well!

I'm not having a go at Chris W. He is a jolly chap and a good broadcaster. He can only follow the format he's been told to work to. But would it not be more useful on what is supposed to be a public service broadcast, to acknowledge the existence of the real world outside as people are starting to get up and move about? You know, at least every 15 minutes at that time of the day, advise if there are icy patches, any road closures, whether the boat is going on time, any flight delays etc? I know I could go online, which I did in the end, but doesn't that defeat the object of the radio service? I think we are paying for a good local service. It should be there to keep us in the loop every time we switch on.

To be fair, I am partly dependant on information given to me at that time of the morning by third parties, Police, Airport etc. I do regularly update you on anything important, but on the day in question and at that time it was unusually quiet. It was later, that things began to get a bit tricky on the roads etc. I feel that we provide a very good service in times of importance like the weather. I will bear your comments in mind for the future though.

The Cupboard Under The Stairs is entirely my choice and could really be anything that I think my listener might  be interested in. Horses for courses though as tastes are subjective. Thanks for your comments.

7 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

To be fair, I am partly dependant on information given to me at that time of the morning by third parties, Police, Airport etc. I do regularly update you on anything important, but on the day in question and at that time it was unusually quiet. It was later, that things began to get a bit tricky on the roads etc. I feel that we provide a very good service in times of importance like the weather. I will bear your comments in mind for the future though.

The Cupboard Under The Stairs is entirely my choice and could really be anything that I think my listener might  be interested in. Horses for courses though as tastes are subjective. Thanks for your comments.

Hi Chris, I was wondering what have you done with my favourite Saturday presenter Jo Pack. She was looking for Facebook likes the other day because she’s been booted out, any info. 

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:41 PM, Gizo said:

Hi Chris, I was wondering what have you done with my favourite Saturday presenter Jo Pack. She was looking for Facebook likes the other day because she’s been booted out, any info. 

Jo was working on a freelance basis like myself and as far as I know, she left to pursue other opportunities, it was her decision, she wasn't booted out to my knowledge.

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

I thought she was ok and brought some fresh energy to the broadcasts.

Best TT anchor since Geoff Cannell 

Maybe she will be picked up by the rival radio channel when MR loses the TT contract. 

Edited by Gizo
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

Jo was working on a freelance basis like myself and as far as I know, she left to pursue other opportunities, it was her decision, she wasn't booted out to my knowledge.

Of course most presenters are freelances now, unless they're also management.  However I have no knowledge of what happened in this case, but must warn you that "left to pursue other opportunities" invariably translates in Manx Government-speak as "had to leave in a hurry after some dreadful row or doing something so dreadful that even they couldn't even promote them out of the way".  So maybe you ought to rephrase it (or not).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Of course most presenters are freelances now, unless they're also management.  However I have no knowledge of what happened in this case, but must warn you that "left to pursue other opportunities" invariably translates in Manx Government-speak as "had to leave in a hurry after some dreadful row or doing something so dreadful that even they couldn't even promote them out of the way".  So maybe you ought to rephrase it (or not).

Just guessing, but perhaps charlie guard let one of those fetid old man farts off in the lift and she didn't take the blame, shame really a talent amongst them.