Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:53 PM, hissingsid said:

I was listening to the oil competition this morning and the lady was doing well, 400 litres when they said she would be coming back in a couple of weeks to proceed further....what was that all about !!!!! Pure Michael Mouse.

I'm afraid you misheard. I mentioned that the competition would be back in a couple of weeks for another chance for someone else to win, but thanks for listening.

Yours,

Minnie Mouse

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Chris, while you are here. Could you please stop trying to flirt with yon lass in the mornings on air. This broadcasting of supposed 'sexual chemistry' between radio presenters is very 1980s and was always a bit embarrassing then, even/particularly on the BBC.

It's most disconcerting being woken up to two people purring at each other.

Maybe I'm just grumpy, it doesn't seem so bad when it's Mossy on and you wind each other up a bit.

Edited by gettafa

Count Morency (Maurice Carter) used to play a rinky-dink keyboard (At the top of Snaefell I think during the season) and latterly lived in Bircham Avenue in Ramsey. I think he was originally from the West Country and he did indeed ring the Mannin Line very regularly. He wasn't very P.C. Passed away about twenty years ago.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Count Morency (Maurice Carter) used to play a rinky-dink keyboard (At the top of Snaefell I think during the season) and latterly lived in Bircham Avenue in Ramsey. I think he was originally from the West Country and he did indeed ring the Mannin Line very regularly. He wasn't very P.C. Passed away about twenty years ago.

Less than 20, 10?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I think it was a lot more recent than that.

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

Less than 20, 10?

1 hour ago, finlo said:

I think it was a lot more recent than that.

2 hours ago, MrPB said:

He was great. I remember his radio outbursts well. Same with Marj from Peel! 

Wasn't it Dorothy from Peel? She was before my time but I crossed swords with Marje J a few times and IIRC Count Morenzi (sp?). Also Roy Gough who kept every gas and electric bill and scrutinized them forensically so he could quote competitive rates per therm to three decimal places. There are still some great callers - Dave from Ballasalla, Rob and Fenella from Peel, Buster, Quirky, Wilf, Howard, Eddie et al - it's just a shame that texts are the norm now rather than live callers.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Passed away about twenty years ago.

Most of them did though didn't they? That's why they had to take the Mannin Line off in the end. I remember day after day David Callister imploring "callers" to ring in before resorting to "a little music" and me shouting at the radio "They're all dead you silly bugger." and that was in the early 90s.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, MrPB said:

True regarding texts but I suppose it is the norm now. People often don’t have the time at work to call in but can fire off a quick text while sat at their desks or whatever. It’s just the way it is now. 

Kids of today just about manage a grunt at best. Text all day long though

11 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

. Also Roy Gough who kept every gas and electric bill and scrutinized them forensically so he could quote competitive rates per therm to three decimal places.

And the price of bread, and petrol. Not only across the Isle of Man but a whole swathe of the North West too. To be fair, he was very astute.

And pointed out on air that the only reason why the Isle of Man was doing 'so well' was because of the vast VAT overpayment. It was a 'cat out of the bag' moment. I think ever since then there has been a direct line to a back room of the Chief Ministers office (ie through that secret door where that spin doctoress took Howard that time he was doing a national importance broadcast) that monitors the calls to Manx Radio and cuts the airwaves if anyone gets too close to the truth.