Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Talking Heads today, aggrieved man banging on about the bus changes.....a taxi driver by the way so it was totally unbiased..not.    I just wish the mini bus service was available from Douglas to the airport paying twenty quid each way when you have to catch an early flight , day trip to hospital across , is a lot out of a basic old age pension.

19 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Talking Heads today, aggrieved man banging on about the bus changes.....a taxi driver by the way so it was totally unbiased..not.    I just wish the mini bus service was available from Douglas to the airport paying twenty quid each way when you have to catch an early flight , day trip to hospital across , is a lot out of a basic old age pension.

Double that and more from some places.

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Sadly to be expected. If anyone listens to any phone in show on LBC you'd quickly realise how poor the content on Manx Radio is. 

19 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Sadly to be expected. If anyone listens to any phone in show on LBC you'd quickly realise how poor the content on Manx Radio is. 

Oh come on flf, comparing LBC with Manx Radio is a bit ridiculous: Eddie Mair, Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage et al. 

My guests from UK and further afield listen to Talking Heads/Mannin Line and find them very entertaining. Andy Wint likes to reword the emails and txts on the fly and make them lose all meaning, or just refuse to read them out at all, but Stu Peters and indeed Roger Watterson read them out as is (except if they are obviously too close to the knuckle or contain foul language). The voice of the people. You should phone in with your own thoughts.

And Buster is magic, with the added spice of Quirkie. You couldn't write some of that stuff.

Do 3fm do a phone-in?

Edited by gettafa

7 hours ago, gettafa said:

Oh come on flf, comparing LBC with Manx Radio is a bit ridiculous: Eddie Mair, Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage et al. 

My guests from UK and further afield listen to Talking Heads/Mannin Line and find them very entertaining. Andy Wint likes to reword the emails and txts on the fly and make them lose all meaning, or just refuse to read them out at all, but Stu Peters and indeed Roger Watterson read them out as is (except if they are obviously too close to the knuckle or contain foul language). The voice of the people. You should phone in with your own thoughts.

And Buster is magic, with the added spice of Quirkie. You couldn't write some of that stuff.

Do 3fm do a phone-in?

You've got a fair point there - LBC don't claim to be a 'Nation Station', they don't need a taxpayer bailout and they don't claim to be an emergency service. 

I've also had visitors come from the UK who found it entertaining... But not in an informative way. They thought it was some kind of sketch show... Royston Vasey FM I think was how they described it. 

So DFE strike again.

They have been working on the TT contract since 2017 trying to put a tender package together, but have failed. Can't say anything else but failed.

They have fcuked  everything else up, everything and nobody seems to give a shit.( tinycow,vision9, tourisum, sparks impact)

But the input their members do attacking every other department is outstanding.

If anyone can name one thing this Department has achieved without fcuking it up big sytle or costing the taxpayers a fortune please post.

Sorry yes only thing they did was to have agencies to do their jobs for them.

When they changed the name, they should have just got rid of this Department.

I'm not so sure. The timing is crap. The process starts just after MGP and the tender document would need to be drafted and signed off and then advertised for EOI. Bids would need to be considered (if more than one was made) and then the successful party would need to find all the kit and personnel they need and be ready to roll in late May. Probably too tight in timing rather than anything else.

Who else has the infrastructure to do it? Let alone the frequencies? Berry and Turner won't have an am frequency available to them so would need FM. They then have to factor in the extent of their coverage and if necessary bring in additional transmission infrastructure. The only broadcasters capable would be those with masses of their own kit and the relevant frequencies to do it. That kinda narrows it to the BBC and they certainly won't be interested.

The whole thing is a lame duck. If the event was worthwhile, the broadcaster would be paying to cover it not the other way around. A full tender in 2019 is unlikely to change anything. Remember the masses of interest in the ferry service? That was worth a lot more than this and despite the commonly held views that someone would come in and undercut the Packet, we got zilch. Putting TT commentary to tender is likely to achieve a similar result.

• Like 1