Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

26 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Let alone the frequencies? Berry and Turner won't have an am frequency available to them so would need FM.

This could only be a good thing. AM is crap and most phones have an FM tuner on them these days. I have no idea why Radio TT is on AM apart from in Ramsey. And how come they get it on FM down there? What makes them special?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

This could only be a good thing. AM is crap and most phones have an FM tuner on them these days. I have no idea why Radio TT is on AM apart from in Ramsey. And how come they get it on FM down there? What makes them special?

Ramsey and its needs are very special.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

AM doesn't cover the whole of the Island and certainly not in Ramsey. I believe FM  covers pretty much all of the Island and is much better quality which makes even less sense as to why they broadcast on AM. It adds to the amateurish feel of the coverage.

12 hours ago, Holte End said:

So DFE strike again.

They have been working on the TT contract since 2017 trying to put a tender package together, but have failed. Can't say anything else but failed.

They have fcuked  everything else up, everything and nobody seems to give a shit.( tinycow,vision9, tourisum, sparks impact)

Plus why would any other radio operator be arsed? It’s a loss leader tender with no guarantee of any repeat business. But those in the DfE couldn’t even work that out as none of them have ever made a commercial decision, ever, in their lives about anything. I have to say the more you hear from the DfE the more you’re convinced this place is totally fucked. It’s just a load of unemployable dickheads hanging on to a sinking ship as they can’t get paid anywhere the same rate for any jobs going in the private sector. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, MrPB said:

If you go to UK motor festivals like Goodwood they hand out free radio transmitters with the programmes so you can tune in to the onsite radio station and find out what’s going on. It’s a back drop to the whole event. 

Transmitters or receivers?

10 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I’m sure, but it raised a good point. Do the TT franchise people never go to any other event? The Goodwood programme is really expensive. But with it you get a 75p preset earpiece receiver set to their FM frequency. It beams the whole event to you at minimal cost for many days. After 100 years we don’t event seem to be able to do the things other events do to keep up the interactive atmosphere. It would cost next to nothing to bundle a radio package. 

Agreed, everything we do here seems to be half baked!

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

I’m sure, but it raised a good point. Do the TT franchise people never go to any other event? The Goodwood programme is really expensive. But with it you get a 75p preset earpiece receiver set to their FM frequency. It beams the whole event to you at minimal cost for many days. After 100 years we don’t event seem to be able to do the things other events do to keep up the interactive atmosphere. It would cost next to nothing to bundle a radio package. 

A fella with a loudhailer could broadcast to all of the Goodwood estate standing on a chair. Same with Radio Le Mans etc. The whole Isle of Man is a bit bigger an area to cover with hills in the way.Over the years MRTT has flogged cheap pretuned radios - I've still got one here somewhere. I'm not sure why they predominantly broadcast on AM - possibly because they don't want to abandon their core audience. They do have separate FM transmitters in Douglas and Ramsey though now, which serve the majority of people.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

A fella with a loudhailer could broadcast to all of the Goodwood estate standing on a chair. Same with Radio Le Mans etc. The whole Isle of Man is a bit bigger an area to cover with hills in the way.Over the years MRTT has flogged cheap pretuned radios - I've still got one here somewhere. I'm not sure why they predominantly broadcast on AM - possibly because they don't want to abandon their core audience. They do have separate FM transmitters in Douglas and Ramsey though now, which serve the majority of people.

Essentially Manx Radio's AM capability is being maintained at great cost to the taxpayers for use 2 weeks of the year. The way forward is online - AM is a radio dinosaur. 

That's why Energy FM or 3FM won't need an AM frequency to cover the TT. Nearly everyone who comes to visit the TT will have a mobile phone and there is no reason why they won't download the TT app and can listen through that. 

There are plenty of TT fans that would work for free to provide coverage of the races - essentially all it involves is a guy at the Grandstand, two guys in a hedge - one at Glen Helen and the other at the Hair Pin. It's really simple. No doubt Mr Peters will claim otherwise, but it really isn't that difficult and there is no excuse for the costs that Manx Radio claim to be incurred by covering the TT.

In fact, a FOI request would be very interesting to see what they are doing with the money...