Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 minute ago, MrPB said:

Why would you be sure of that? They seem to tear into Howard Quayle at every opportunity and he's CM. Does he get invited up to correct his gaffs? I am genuinely interested to know the answer to that. 

Examples please !

11 hours ago, Kopek said:

Rob C asked to correct his recording, I'm sure MR would be compliant to ANY ONE else requesting the same.

( especially their Boss !) :whistling:

It wasn’t a gaffe - I was given the information at a previous meeting so I used it. 

Someone at Manx Radio listened to the interview and felt it wasn’t correct, so they gave me an opportunity to correct it. 

I will be checking how Manx Radio actually  funded the TT and FOM commentary since 1964 next week. 

Edited by Rob Callister
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, MrPB said:

That was my real point from last night before that angry Dilligaf character started kicking off. Is thina courtesy extended to all MHKs? I’d suggest it likely isn’t. 

I think you're not really identifying the core of this though.  What was important here is not who was being invited to 'correct' what they said, it's what it was about - the finances of Manx Radio.  You suspect that if Rob had been inaccurate about any other topic, nothing would have been said, but anyone else, politician or not, who said the same thing would have been jumped on.  What we actually have here is a broadcaster getting an MHK to change what they said because it revealed something (true or not) about their finances.  In most countries politicians try to censor the media, not the other way around.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

That was my real point from last night before that angry Dilligaf character started kicking off. Is thina courtesy extended to all MHKs? I’d suggest it likely isn’t. 

I doubt Rob would have been allowed to correct himself on any other subject. 

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Rob Callister said:

I was led to believe that the costs relating to the TT & FOM commentary formed part of the Governments subvention before Radio TT was set up several years ago, but no one at Manx Radio or in DfE can confirm this, so I corrected my statement. 

4 hours ago, Rob Callister said:

It wasn’t a gaffe - I was given the information at a previous meeting so I used it. 

Someone at Manx Radio listened to the interview and felt it wasn’t correct, so they gave me an opportunity to correct it. 

I will be checking how Manx Radio actually  funded the TT and FOM commentary since 1964 next week. 

Thanks for that information Rob.  Manx Radio's accounts are unhelpful even by standards of the IOMG and a (nominally) 'arms-length' publicly-owned organisation ought to be more transparent, not less.  So it's not surprising, though still shocking, that something as important and recent as the way that TT/FOM coverage was supported before 2012 (Radio TT 365 - which I assume you mean - ran from TT 2012 to March 2013) should be a matter of dispute rather than public record.  Though it is a matter of some amusement that two of the most management-heavy organisations in the Island (if not the universe) seem unable to provide reliable management information.

For what it's worth, the ultra-minimal P&L from the Manx Radio Accounts for 2012-13 show a drop of £77,000 in the subvention, but whether there is extra government money hidden in 'Turnover - continuing operations' is not really possible to discern.  The attached Report also contains some references to what was clearly a big spat between Manx Radio and the (then) DED over the period and there was of course (yet another) Tynwald enquiry into Public Service Broadcasting which commissioned the informative Myers Report all of which (yet again) resulted in nothing changing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1